Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding the OEM nav

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/13, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
I would NOT be paying $2000. You could get all the parts new and still have money left over.

Plenty of wrecked 2010s - 2013s out there. I'd keep looking.
Question: On the 2010 is the harness different ? I did find a 2011 that had all the parts, but the Harness was gone. I ask him was the front control bezel included and he said yes. 850$, not so bad I guess ?

So I am going to try to see if I can find some more things to make this happen.
Old 5/17/13, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
$850 is good if you get as much from the list as you can. You will need the dual climate zone module that goes in behind the nav screen, so make sure that is included. Is the amp included, or are you going aftermarket?

The harness for your car you will need to buy, though, as it is different. You also need the climate system harness, so get that from the car your nav is getting pulled from. Full list of parts is in the front of the thread. Try to get them to throw in as much of this as you can for that price.

Last edited by jim010; 5/17/13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 6/9/13, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Hello everyone. Let me start off my saying THANK YOU for doing all the leg work on this mod for the rest of us. I do have a few questions for you guys that have done it already:
Is the Mustang the only car you can pull this mod from? I have seen a few others threads from people pulling OEM nav units from F150s, Mercurys, ect.
Does anyone have a picture or part number for the main dash harness for a '11 w/o heated seats? I cant seem to find it on any parts sites I look at.
Now the amp situation. I planned on going aftermarket as I know NOTHING about audio. Do I just go to say Best Buy and tell them I need a new amp? Can I get it installed before the nav conversion or should I do it after install?
Also if anyone finds any nav/bezel units for sale please link me! fleebay has been dry.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 6/9/13, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Welcome to the boards, Matthew.
Is the Mustang the only car you can pull this mod from? I have seen a few others threads from people pulling OEM nav units from F150s, Mercurys, ect.
For the 05 to 09 Mustangs, the nav could be pulled from other Fords, but I am not certain which Fords share the nav woth the 10 to 14 Mustangs, if any at all.

Does anyone have a picture or part number for the main dash harness for a '11 w/o heated seats? I cant seem to find it on any parts sites I look at.
You will need to get the parts guys at the dealer to look that one up for you. Just give them a call and they'll get you the right part number.

Now the amp situation. I planned on going aftermarket as I know NOTHING about audio. Do I just go to say Best Buy and tell them I need a new amp? Can I get it installed before the nav conversion or should I do it after install?
You will install after the nav is in, I would think. Zeroaviation went aftermarket, so he can tell you what he decided on and why. I and others stuck with the OEM amp.

Also if anyone finds any nav/bezel units for sale please link me! fleebay has been dry.
Try here. This is where most of us found our navs:

http://www.car-part.com/
Old 6/10/13, 04:13 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the info, I want to do this on my 2013 as soon as I have the funds.
Old 6/11/13, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Welcome to the boards, Matthew.

For the 05 to 09 Mustangs, the nav could be pulled from other Fords, but I am not certain which Fords share the nav woth the 10 to 14 Mustangs, if any at all.

You will need to get the parts guys at the dealer to look that one up for you. Just give them a call and they'll get you the right part number.

You will install after the nav is in, I would think. Zeroaviation went aftermarket, so he can tell you what he decided on and why. I and others stuck with the OEM amp.

Try here. This is where most of us found our navs:

http://www.car-part.com/
Thanks Jim. I picked up a Galaxy 7.0 Plus to use in place of the OEM navi while I put the parts together for the conversion.

Matthew
Old 6/13/13, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Let me clear something up for me, can a factory nave be installed with out removing the entire dash ?
Old 6/13/13, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rm2092
Let me clear something up for me, can a factory nave be installed with out removing the entire dash ?
Its doable, but hard to get your hand around all the crevices. I took mine out. Super easy.
Old 6/14/13, 09:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rm2092
I did it without removing the entire dash. it's a little bit difficult at times, but not too bad. Just expect your hands to be scratched and bruised after. That is if you decide to leave in the dash.
Old 6/20/13, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I did not have to do any reprogramming when I plugged it all in. My nav has the vin from the car it was taken out of, but no issues otherwise. The others also have not had issues that I know of.

If you got a nav that doesn't have rear video camera or heated seats, then those will not show up, even if your car does have them. In the case of heated seats, though, the buttons on the face plate would probably work, while you will not be able to turn them on through the nav screen, I figure.

Originally Posted by Burner
Sorry if I missed it during your posts. Once I acquire all the parts do I need to take anything to Ford for activation?

I'm assuming Ford would need to program the NAV with the proper VIN to get it working with my particular options? Did you have this done and if so how much did it run you?
Old 7/11/13, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I picked up a rear camera spoiler with the camera. I have just finished doing the wiring for the back up camera. Tested it and works good - picture on the nav works.

The spoiler is being painted this weekend. The regular spoiler can't be used. Removing the 2 sided tape was a real PITA.

This is not plug and play, though. I had to do the wiring and insert pins into the connectors. Happy with the result, though. I now have now made my car into a fully loaded Premium.
Old 7/11/13, 07:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked up a rear camera spoiler with the camera. I have just finished doing the wiring for the back up camera. Tested it and works good - picture on the nav works.

The spoiler is being painted this weekend. The regular spoiler can't be used. Removing the 2 sided tape was a real PITA.

This is not plug and play, though. I had to do the wiring and insert pins into the connectors. Happy with the result, though. I now have now made my car into a fully loaded Premium.
Congrats .. now that I added the rear sensors mine is fully loaded too ... except for Auto transmission.
Old 7/11/13, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm Jealous! Where did you get yours? Junkers?
Old 7/11/13, 07:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I got it from car-parts.com.

$180 shipped plus another $150 for painting (an aquaintance is giving me a break).
Old 7/28/13, 09:56 AM

hi guys,

I'm interested in doing this mod to my car. I have a 2013 base model 5.0 without sync. what else besides what is listed here would I need to add sync as well as navi.

thanks.
Old 7/30/13, 10:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You would need to get the sync module as well for the nav to work properly.

Beyond that, everything on the list should be good.

The trick will be finding a nav, as they seem to be hard to come by and expensive.

Last edited by jim010; 7/30/13 at 10:01 PM.
Old 7/31/13, 01:49 PM

its going to be even more difficult for me because I'm in Germany, I do have contacts at a few ford parts counters because of my job, I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

so I don't need any other wiring harnesses for the sync? I know I will need the steering wheel controls and if I'm adding the sync I should probably go ahead and install the usb port in center console as well. I'm also going to do some research about doing the dual zone climate control as well since I'm going to have the dash out anyway. I'll let everyone know what I find out as soon as my contacts get back to me.
Old 7/31/13, 03:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm on vacation right now, but when I get back next week, I can help more.
Old 7/31/13, 03:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2013mustang
its going to be even more difficult for me because I'm in Germany, I do have contacts at a few ford parts counters because of my job, I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

so I don't need any other wiring harnesses for the sync? I know I will need the steering wheel controls and if I'm adding the sync I should probably go ahead and install the usb port in center console as well. I'm also going to do some research about doing the dual zone climate control as well since I'm going to have the dash out anyway. I'll let everyone know what I find out as soon as my contacts get back to me.
Yeah I feel your pain. I'm in the UK and will be for the next few years so getting the parts will be hard.
Old 8/8/13, 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2013mustang

Sorry for the wait.

In terms of other wiring harnesses, since I already had Sync, I didn't need to get any other harnesses. You will need to check with the dealer as to which harness you need. You will tell them the build date of your car and have them tell you what the part number is for a dash harness with nav (auto/man etc..). That harness should plug into the sync module that clips into place in the space above the glove box. You will also need the climate system harness, and there is also a radio cable.

You will need the wiring harness in the steering wheel itself as well.

What I am not sure of is if the body harness remains the same. I have misplaced my wiring manual and can't check this for you.

Call a dealer and see if the body harness for your car and that of a nav car are the same (make sure that both have same tranny). If they are, you are good.

I have a Sync module if you want to purchase mine. PM me if you want it.

Last edited by jim010; 8/8/13 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Adding the OEM nav