Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

$30 Automatic Headlight Upgrade

Old 5/25/12, 04:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocko
So I have a 2012 base V6 mustang without auto headlights. So all mustangs have the sensor? If i buy the switch SW6659 will this allow auto headlights? Thanks
All 2011+ cars have the sensor (don't know about 2010). Just buy/install the switch, and you're gold.
Old 5/25/12, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks
Old 5/25/12, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by StuckInNYForever
I have the auto headlights on my GT Premium, but I never use them. They are way too sensitive. They go on under every underpass, and shut off quickly. It must be annoying to other drivers in front of me, considering I go under about 20 on my commute each way every day.
Actually, there's a delay on the headlights before they turn on. They don't come on under an overpass, unless you're stopped there or in the low-light conditions for a period of time. I find the sensitivity to be perfect. For me, they never turn on and off randomly during the day. They also turn on with the wipers when it's a raining. This is a must have feature.
Old 5/26/12, 01:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010GT NC
Actually, there's a delay on the headlights before they turn on. They don't come on under an overpass, unless you're stopped there or in the low-light conditions for a period of time. I find the sensitivity to be perfect. For me, they never turn on and off randomly during the day. They also turn on with the wipers when it's a raining. This is a must have feature.
Also, the headlamps can come on without the dash lights turning on. The dash lights come on at a darker light level than the headlamps.

Auto headlamps is one feature that I do like a lot. I just wish they put in an auto-dim feature for the high beams. I remember having that with the auto-lamp system on my 1989 Thunderbird and I liked it.

Last edited by watchdevil; 5/26/12 at 01:46 AM.
Old 5/26/12, 03:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocko
So I have a 2012 base V6 mustang without auto headlights. So all mustangs have the sensor? If i buy the switch SW6659 will this allow auto headlights? Thanks
Yes, all Mustangs from 2011 at least, have the sensor located at the front center of the dash, so just buying the light switch with the extra swoitch position nets you the auto headlight feature. You may also want to spring a few more bucks and buy the switch that also supports the fog light option (switch pulls out to operate fogs), so you can add that in the future perhaps.
Old 5/26/12, 11:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Yes, all Mustangs from 2011 at least, have the sensor located at the front center of the dash, so just buying the light switch with the extra swoitch position nets you the auto headlight feature. You may also want to spring a few more bucks and buy the switch that also supports the fog light option (switch pulls out to operate fogs), so you can add that in the future perhaps.
2010 included... Not before that model year though.
Old 5/27/12, 12:12 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by YSUsteven
I can see when its dark... But it is much easier to set them and forget them.

At the time I bought it, I did not know the switch & sensor were available, so no, I would not have bought it. My econobox had them, why not a stang???

I am not loyal to Ford. But I do prefer GM or Ford, and Ford has the better pony car right now.

And for the record, the post above states $30

This is one of the features that I have learned that I really want.

It's all about the convenience, such as lights on when wipers are on. And I suppose that your daugher and I would get along well.

And the battery never dies when you leave the lights on...

Say what you guys want, I stand by my word. If I had not been able to get the auto headlights, I would not have bought my stang. I would have kept my old car which was way better on gas and was paid for.

really? are you the kind of shopper that picks cars by how many big gulps fit? That is the saddest thing I have heard in a long time.

I have the auto lights and if you are having a problem with them coming off and on you can go into the options and change teh delay.
Old 5/27/12, 05:28 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by StuckInNYForever
I have the auto headlights on my GT Premium, but I never use them. They are way too sensitive. They go on under every underpass, and shut off quickly. It must be annoying to other drivers in front of me, considering I go under about 20 on my commute each way every day.
Same for me. I never use the auto feature on any of my cars. The quick auto on then off again is unnecessary wear on the hids. It's bad to turn on the hids then quickly off again.

Originally Posted by jsimmons
I installed the switch to get the fog light stuff, but don't use the auto-lights feature. In fact, I've had the car for two months, and have only used the headlights 3 times, and one of those times was simply to test the fog light/wiring install.
Same... I hardly drive at night lol
Old 5/27/12, 11:23 AM
V6 Member

Stupid question, where would one buy this part?
Old 5/27/12, 12:47 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Zathu
Stupid question, where would one buy this part?
Ford dealer, eBay, parts store

On another note, would replacing the switch on an 05 work this way to or require more? Did 05 even come with auto lights?
Old 5/27/12, 11:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel
Ford dealer, eBay, parts store

On another note, would replacing the switch on an 05 work this way to or require more? Did 05 even come with auto lights?
05-09 did not come with auto lights. It was not an option. The 05-09 also did not come with the light sensors required for auto lights to work. The headlamp switch for auto lamps is not even interchangeable with the 05-09 from 10+ models. The required wiring is of course not there either.

I remember a long time ago when I had my 94 Mustang convertible, I added an inexpensive aftermarket auto light system that worked very well. It was basically a small box with an electronic module in it and a tubular light sensor that you could mount behind the grille.
Old 5/27/12, 11:44 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Well darnit it's cook I was jw
Old 5/29/12, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Nowadays its OK not be be brand loyal.. it leave your options open

i am not fond of auto lighting on any car, but i do miss the DRLs on my other car. I like the way the corona rings look like during the day. I never used the auto lighting and also turned my lights on manually -- but oh yeah -- whether i left them on or not after 16seconds they shut off saving the battery.

the auto feature on the 5.0 is live-able and doesnt create too much of a hassle, beside i only drive an average 13-15min to and from work; not much time to get peeved.

i keep considering putting on the wig-wags and rear strobe control units for my 93 on this car -- but the hassle of a unwarranted ticket keep me on this side of sanity.

only reason i got the Mustang was the cupholder with lighting -- if it didnt have that... i would have stayed with my old Dodge Ram truck...
j/k
Old 6/20/12, 12:53 PM

FYI, bought my base model 2010 V6 Mustang last week and read this thread. Ordered the SW6659 part and installed. Took all of about 5 minutes and works how it should. If the lights on the dash go on after you start the car at night, you have the sensor inside the car where the windshield meets the top of the dashboard (I'm not car-savvy, so I post for those like me who have no clue).
Old 6/20/12, 01:10 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,848 Posts
This has been highly ENLIGHTNING. Love those Cheap & Easy Retrofits! They are a BRIGHT spot in my day! Don't let any negative responses DIM your desire to post these things! Keep em Coming!

Time to SWITCH to a new topic!

Had to get that PLUG in!

KC AKA Punmiester KC
Old 6/24/12, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't see the option for auto headlights when building a car on Fords website. I am not sure in my newly ordered V6 Premium has this feature, does anyone know if its on the V6 Premium package?
Old 11/29/12, 06:27 PM

how do you get the old switch out of the dash board? just pry it out? Don't want to break anything.
Old 11/29/12, 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=sugarbear;6500853]how do you get the old switch out of the dash board? just pry it out? Don't want to break anything. have a 2012 v-6 Premium. All my chevy's have this feature. why not mustang???
Old 11/30/12, 03:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by sugarbear
how do you get the old switch out of the dash board? just pry it out? Don't want to break anything.
The switch snaps in.The best way to remove it is to pop off the end panel on the dashboard and reach inside to push the switch out from behind.
Old 12/3/12, 06:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yea it's retarded that my v6 premium doesn't come with automatic headlights. It has the sensor right on the dash and the MyColor lights know when to come on, why can't the headlights? Anyway, this switch will work for a 2013 right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $30 Automatic Headlight Upgrade