Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2014 Aftermarket radio/navigation

Old 4/10/13, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Aftermarket radio/navigation

Hey Guys & Gals,

Just picked up my first mustang GT and am have been looking online for an aftermarket radio navigation unit and cant find anything that really fits. Right now i have just the basic radio.

I found one aftermarket setup from ottonavi but from reviews and there lack to answer my simple questions im not goin with them. Does anyone know of another good unit or does anyone have a similar setup.
Old 4/10/13, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I like the OEM look of the OttoNavi, but yes, it seems you are taking a bad risk with them.

If you want the OEM look, then you pretty much would need to retrofit the factory nav. See 'Adding the OEM Nav' at the top of the section.

Otherwise you're stuck with the screen on the bottom with Scoshe or Metra and a double din unit. Alpine has a new 8 inch that looks slick, though, with a nice bezel that I like better than the other 2.
Old 4/10/13, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
You didn't say whether your GT has SYNC or not. If it does, there are some nav apps available for smart phones that can be connected to Sync via bluetooth and may offer an acceptable alternative at a VERY reasonable price. Many Android phone apps are free.
Old 4/11/13, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I picked up a 2013 GT with SYNC/Shaker 500 two months ago and had a Pioneer AVIC X920BT installed using the newest Metra dash kit (5826ch, old one is 5823ch) with touchscreen climate controls. I love it!! SYNC still works, steering wheel audio controls work (Volume, Track/Station, Media for 920BT; Phone, Talk and OK for SYNC), SYNC text is displayed on the climate touch screen. Yes the aftermarket kits place the radio on the bottom, but its really not that bad. Even better if you don't have SYNC, or don't care to retain SYNC, it will be cheaper that way! Also, if you have Sirius, you will need to buy the appropriate tuner for your aftermarket radio, but the OEM Sirius antenna can be reused by popping off the plastic shroud around the connector (behind the dash).
The only thing I was disappointed to discover is that the Shaker 500 door woofers are now (as opposed to my 05) somehow wired as front speakers. I don't know if they are full-range, or if there is a cutoff built into the OEM amp. If your aftermarket radio has a low-pass filter (LPF) for subs, it wont work on the door woofers, so I'd suggest adding a trunk sub if you dont want to miss out on that low-end bass. I installed a pair of Pioneer speakers in the upper front doors, have the high-pass filter (HPF) set at 63hz and it sounds great, but im still thinking of doing a trunk sub and cutting the fronts off at 80, 100 or 125hz. We'll see.

Last edited by kingofsting; 4/11/13 at 12:07 PM.
Old 4/12/13, 05:57 AM

Thanks guys for that info. Yea i just got a bone stock GT, no sirius or sync. I like the pioneer brand radios i have one there navigation units in my f250 and love it.
Old 4/22/13, 01:27 PM

As for the OttoNavi unit. I was also looking into this...

I posted on another forum about this mayb you want to read up on it?

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...g-11-13-a.html
Old 4/22/13, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jim010
I like the OEM look of the OttoNavi, but yes, it seems you are taking a bad risk with them.

If you want the OEM look, then you pretty much would need to retrofit the factory nav. See 'Adding the OEM Nav' at the top of the section.

Otherwise you're stuck with the screen on the bottom with Scoshe or Metra and a double din unit. Alpine has a new 8 inch that looks slick, though, with a nice bezel that I like better than the other 2.
I do agree it does seem risky, but given they sell their radios on Amazon I may give it a shot
Old 4/23/13, 02:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofsting
I picked up a 2013 GT with SYNC/Shaker 500 two months ago and had a Pioneer AVIC X920BT installed using the newest Metra dash kit (5826ch, old one is 5823ch) with touchscreen climate controls. I love it!! SYNC still works, steering wheel audio controls work (Volume, Track/Station, Media for 920BT; Phone, Talk and OK for SYNC), SYNC text is displayed on the climate touch screen. Yes the aftermarket kits place the radio on the bottom, but its really not that bad. Even better if you don't have SYNC, or don't care to retain SYNC, it will be cheaper that way! Also, if you have Sirius, you will need to buy the appropriate tuner for your aftermarket radio, but the OEM Sirius antenna can be reused by popping off the plastic shroud around the connector (behind the dash).
The only thing I was disappointed to discover is that the Shaker 500 door woofers are now (as opposed to my 05) somehow wired as front speakers. I don't know if they are full-range, or if there is a cutoff built into the OEM amp. If your aftermarket radio has a low-pass filter (LPF) for subs, it wont work on the door woofers, so I'd suggest adding a trunk sub if you dont want to miss out on that low-end bass. I installed a pair of Pioneer speakers in the upper front doors, have the high-pass filter (HPF) set at 63hz and it sounds great, but im still thinking of doing a trunk sub and cutting the fronts off at 80, 100 or 125hz. We'll see.

Finally someone who has used the new one with the touch screen and Sync. I am so torn between using this set-up and just doing the factory navigation system. If I went this way I could use whatever head unit I wanted and add a couple of amps for the rest of the system I would be replacing the factory crap with. Man...
Old 4/25/13, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I bought the OttoNavi system and will recieve it on Monday. See the OttoNavi thread. I will write a full review once I get it in.

I was able to talk to a tech who knew his stuff. I would agree depending on who you talk to, their info can be sketchy at best...I was able to talk to one of the main guys, so I was able to get all the info I needed.
Old 5/8/13, 12:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd stick with Pioneer. You can get a full touchscreen, no nav, with Bluetooth for under $400. Plus another $200 for the dash kit. I'd trust that over some off brand. Some of Pioneers allow you to use Apps from your phone such as nav. That's the route I'm going as soon as I get the cash together.
Old 5/8/13, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I'd stick with Pioneer. You can get a full touchscreen, no nav, with Bluetooth for under $400. Plus another $200 for the dash kit. I'd trust that over some off brand. Some of Pioneers allow you to use Apps from your phone such as nav. That's the route I'm going as soon as I get the cash together.
Which pioneer are you talking about?