Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2013 Mustang door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/12, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mustang door speakers

I ordered the 6x8 Pioneer speakers talked about in another thread, but to my surprise, when I removed the door panel, no 6x8 speakers.
There was what looked like a 6" round speaker with a tweeter mounted to one side, both mounted on a plastic base. I have a premium
2013 mustang gt with the standard shaker system.
Old 5/6/12, 12:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
They are technically 6x8 or 5x7 (basically the same) because of the outer shape, but the Shaker comes with the plate speakers that have the 5.25 and 1" tweeter ("separates" or "components" in the audio world).
Old 5/6/12, 01:39 PM

No, they have no resemblance to the 6x8 of the 2005 to 2012 door speakers. 6x8 speaker mounting in my 2013 would be a very custom install !!
Old 5/6/12, 01:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh gotcha. I stand corrected. Have any pics?
Old 5/7/12, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pebrady
I ordered the 6x8 Pioneer speakers talked about in another thread, but to my surprise, when I removed the door panel, no 6x8 speakers.
There was what looked like a 6" round speaker with a tweeter mounted to one side, both mounted on a plastic base. I have a premium
2013 mustang gt with the standard shaker system.
Yes, that's a 5.25" component and a 1" tweeter mounted in a 6X8 enclosure.

It looks like this, right?

The plastic enclosure is 6X8, and any 6X8 speaker can replace it. The 6X8 Pioneers would be a lateral move, if not a downgrade. If you're going to change them you'll want to stick with the circle components for the best sound quality.

That said, I've decided to go with the Alpine SPR 50C component speakers myself. Basically the same setup, a 5.25" and a 1" in a 6X8 bracket, but they sound so much better than the Ford speakers. And at $170 per pair, they should.

Last edited by Moustang; 5/8/12 at 07:59 AM.
Old 5/8/12, 11:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Those^ pictured are the old Mach speakers, but exactly what I'd envision are the "new" Shaker speakers.

The Alpine Type-S are far from amazing speakers, but I'm sure they are better than stock. I ran them years ago in my Contour...I've been through many different components in my cars since, and I'm on a Hertz kick right now. I really like Focal the best, but they are both very good. My speakers I have in my Escape retail for $1800 for the set...
Old 5/9/12, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Those^ pictured are the old Mach speakers, but exactly what I'd envision are the "new" Shaker speakers.
It is my understanding that they are basically identical.

I will admit to being a tiny bit confused though. From what I was told, the Shaker 500 has the same 6X8 speaker used for years while the Shaker 1000 uses the component enclosure. The OP claims to have the "standard" Shaker system, yet has the component enclosure. Hmmmm.

The Alpine Type-S are far from amazing speakers, but I'm sure they are better than stock.
I would call them an excellent mid-price range speaker. They give very good sound for their price, and are far superior to the sub-$100 range of speakers, not to mention the cheap things Ford uses. You really do need to use an amp with them though. Unamped they aren't pushing enough power to sound right. They sound sort of muffled.

They in no way compete with high end speakers. Even Alpine, who I would not consider a top-end speaker manufacturer, makes the Type X which are twice the price of the Type R and sound better. (And handle more wattage)

But I'm old, and I can think of better things to do with my money than dump a quarter of the value of my car into a stereo system for it. Type Rs with a 90RMS continuous per channel amp and a 360RMS continuous amp pushing a 12" subwoofer for less than $1k will do me just fine.

To me the high end stereos are like show cars. I love them to death, I just wouldn't bother with one myself.

Last edited by Moustang; 5/9/12 at 07:34 AM.
Old 5/9/12, 08:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
I will admit to being a tiny bit confused though. From what I was told, the Shaker 500 has the same 6X8 speaker used for years while the Shaker 1000 uses the component enclosure. The OP claims to have the "standard" Shaker system, yet has the component enclosure. Hmmmm.
Shaker changed for the 13 MY. The "standard" is just called the Shaker, 370 watts & 8 speakers; the upgrade is the Shaker Pro, 550 watts & 9 speakers. Dunno specifics beyond that yet.
Old 5/9/12, 12:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It is my understanding that they are basically identical.

I would call them an excellent mid-price range speaker. They give very good sound for their price, and are far superior to the sub-$100 range of speakers, not to mention the cheap things Ford uses. You really do need to use an amp with them though. Unamped they aren't pushing enough power to sound right. They sound sort of muffled.

They in no way compete with high end speakers. Even Alpine, who I would not consider a top-end speaker manufacturer, makes the Type X which are twice the price of the Type R and sound better. (And handle more wattage)

But I'm old, and I can think of better things to do with my money than dump a quarter of the value of my car into a stereo system for it. Type Rs with a 90RMS continuous per channel amp and a 360RMS continuous amp pushing a 12" subwoofer for less than $1k will do me just fine.

To me the high end stereos are like show cars. I love them to death, I just wouldn't bother with one myself.
Agreed on all accounts. For the record, I didn't pay that much for my speakers due to my old job at a high end shop. I wouldn't pay that much for speakers either haha. The most current Alpine speaker range is very good bang for the buck. I just wish their head units were as good as they used to be, but the aftermarket head unit market is dying with the way factory head units are going. External processors are the way to go these days.
Old 5/10/12, 09:22 PM

so would this speaker fit? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ne-SPR-68.html
Old 5/11/12, 11:59 AM

Hey, I finally got around to pulling the right door panel off to take pictures.
Here is what the 2013 door speakers look like!!
Attached Images    
Old 5/12/12, 10:51 AM

I'm wondering if the speakers are updated because they certainly don't sound as "horrible" as everyone else has been saying.
Old 5/12/12, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Definitely different than the crappy ones I pulled out and replaced with Pioneers. Likely Ford got the message but I doubt they are that much better. The magnets still look puny. Aftermarket speakers of choice will beat anything stock.
Old 5/13/12, 01:41 PM
GT Member

They still look pretty crappy to me. LOL They just went from a coax speaker to a 6x8 set of components on a plate, but they're still paper cone with pathetic magnets and only have 25w power handling. The cheapest aftermarket coaxial 6x8 has way better specs.
Old 5/13/12, 03:17 PM

To my 50+ year old ears, they sound crappy. There is no mid to upper range. My 02 mustang with the Mach 460 system has much more audio range!
Old 5/14/12, 10:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm having a really hard time picking speakers to upgrade the ones in my Boss with. I'd like something that will work ok running on the base stereo's power and then take off with aftermarket amps down the road. Another problem I have is there aren't really any good car audio places in my area to hear product at. The only one is Westminster Speed and Sound but they have crappy hours.
Old 5/14/12, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hellbound
should these work or am i going to have to get a plate to make them fit?
Old 5/14/12, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
I'm having a really hard time picking speakers to upgrade the ones in my Boss with. I'd like something that will work ok running on the base stereo's power and then take off with aftermarket amps down the road. Another problem I have is there aren't really any good car audio places in my area to hear product at. The only one is Westminster Speed and Sound but they have crappy hours.
Check out my thread here.

https://themustangsource.com/f803/st...wanted-508004/

I've listened to a LOT of different speakers. To my ears, the Alpine and Polk Audio are the two best sounding 6X8s I've found that don't cost extrodinary amounts of money.

That setup I picked out could easily be done piecemeal. Do front door, then rears, then add the amp which also has the built in crossover and subwoofer channel, and finally add the subwoofer.

Priced out in parts alone it's about $1,100. $300 of that is just the speakerbox I picked out, but you could get one MUCH cheaper than that. But once it's all put together it blows away the stock Ford speaker systems.
Old 5/14/12, 08:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hellbound
should these work or am i going to have to get a plate to make them fit?

To the best of my knowledge they should work. The hole in the door is the same on all Mustangs, and the hole fits the 6X8 speaker used in base model stereos.

For door speakers you'll get a much better sound from a Component Speaker setup though, similar to the ones shown. A 5.25" round and a 1" tweeter would give much better sound seperation. I chose the Alpine SPR 50C for the doors, and the 6X8s you have listed for the rear deck.
Old 5/14/12, 08:56 PM

To the best of my knowledge they should work. The hole in the door is the same on all Mustangs, and the hole fits the 6X8 speaker used in base model stereos.

For door speakers you'll get a much better sound from a Component Speaker setup though, similar to the ones shown. A 5.25" round and a 1" tweeter would give much better sound seperation. I chose the Alpine SPR 50C for the doors, and the 6X8s you have listed for the rear deck.

how do you go about mounting the tweeter? I don't have to cut a whole or anything?

Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang door speakers