Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

2012 GT rear break upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/11, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GT rear break upgrade?

Can we get larger disks out back and use the factory calipers? My 2012 came with the Brembo breakon the front and they are HUGE! and it makes the 11" rotors out back look tiny. I plan on getting some thin spoke 20 inch wheels and Its really going to be noticable then. I dont have a ton of money to spend so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 8/17/11, 08:56 PM
Cobra Member

For looks, get the Baer rear 14" setup, uses stock caliper, on a different bracket. Supposedly you can get a blank or just slotted rotor from Baer, but all I've ever seen is the cross-drilled (won't match the stock blank Brembo rotor).

For performance, the only recommended one is likely the Steeda kit, requires removing the axles (Baer doesn't, as far as I know).

But generally, for performance, nobody (not even Boss 302R dedicated race cars) uses anything but the stock rear rotors, just better pads, lines, and fluids.
Old 8/17/11, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bigger rear rotors and real Brembo four pot caliper sure look nice.

Old 8/17/11, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

if you dont have a ton of money, youd be better off just getting better pads, lines and using better brake fluid. check this website out....

http://www.performancefriction.com/
Old 8/17/11, 10:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp

I'm guessing that's $3500+ worth of brake hardware there?
Old 8/17/11, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm more interested in the look of a larger caliper to match the big a$$ Brembos in the front
Old 8/18/11, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

The Baer it is

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...ar-Rotors.html

I'd call Baer and see if you can get just a slotted rotor, or look into a cross-drilled front disc for the Brembo's.
Old 8/18/11, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've been asking myself why ford didn't just do it in the first place, and came to the conclusion that it's so you could put a smaller rims and fat drag time in back, maybe I'm wrong, wish those Baer discs were not full of holes I've wanted to upgrade for a while

Last edited by hahnsolo78; 8/18/11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 8/18/11, 10:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hahnsolo78
I've been asking myself why ford didn't just do it in the first place, and came to the conclusion that it's so you could put a smaller rims and fat drag time in back.
I think you're right. One of the main reasons for sticking solid axle, as well -- the Terminator IRS was panned by all the drag racers, which has been traditionally a stronger market than road-course oriented racers.
Of course cost is the biggest issue.
Old 8/18/11, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

You don't need the bigger rear brakes, but they do look better. You can't run a fixed caliper like the front because the axles move in and out, and that causes pad knock-back which is bad news.

I sell the Steeda kit. It's complete, it uses high quality DBA rotors, and it cost less than the Baer kit too. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=196&ModelID=5
Old 8/18/11, 11:14 AM
GT Member

I think in stock form the barke size front to back on the brembo GT are at max Grand AM GS class rules . You also can not run more than a 4 piston caliper on the front of the car and 2 piston caliper in the back.
Old 8/18/11, 11:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
The Baer it is

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...ar-Rotors.html

I'd call Baer and see if you can get just a slotted rotor, or look into a cross-drilled front disc for the Brembo's.
The Only review on the product is a 5-star review; however, if you actually read the review, the customer says that they were WARPED after 200 miles, and they do NOT recommend the product.
Old 8/19/11, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 300AGT
I think in stock form the barke size front to back on the brembo GT are at max Grand AM GS class rules . You also can not run more than a 4 piston caliper on the front of the car and 2 piston caliper in the back.
Just wish there was a 2 piston caliper in the rear.
Old 8/20/11, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 908ssp

Yes, but you custom retrofitted those from a Porsche if I remember correctly.
Originally Posted by sam strano
You don't need the bigger rear brakes, but they do look better. You can't run a fixed caliper like the front because the axles move in and out, and that causes pad knock-back which is bad news.
Thanks Sam, by mentioning this I read into it some and learned something today.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml
Old 8/20/11, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
Yes, but you custom retrofitted those from a Porsche if I remember correctly.

Thanks Sam, by mentioning this I read into it some and learned something today.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml
True the rear calipers are from a Porsche. The rears calipers ride on custom made floating brackets which makes knock back a none issue.

But my post was addressing the OP desire for something that looks better and these certainly do that.

I sure wish I could find set of carbon ceramic matrix rotors. 16" would still weigh half what the 14" iron rotors weigh.
Old 8/21/11, 09:04 PM

Could you direct me to some literature to learn about floating vs fixed brackets.
Old 8/22/11, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know of any sorry. Your stock rear calipers float they ride on pins, the pins are fixed to the axle flange and the calipers move in and out on the pins. That is so you can get away with one piston caliper the other pad stays in the same place the whole caliper moves inward as the pad wears. The float also accomdates the axle float. Next time you have the rear wheel up in the air or better yet have it off you can grab the rotor and by pulling and pushing on it a couple time you'll notice the whole thing moves in and out. This is the axle float I am talking about. It is caused by the way the axles are held in place, the "C" clip on the inside and the pin just can't keep the axles from moving a little. The typical IRS just like the front axles don't have this issue and why so many other cars have four pot calipers as options for the rear. Another way of accommodating the axle float is to float the rotors, this tends to be noisy and wear fast. I built brackets in two pieces with axial pins that allow the caliper to float with the rotor and axle.