Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

In need of exhaust advice....

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/13, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In need of exhaust advice....

I have used the forum search and have read what there is, but I am hoping for some additional insight from actual users. I can usually make a decision, but since this I my first Mustang I need to get it right, and currently I am just confused.

I have a 2013 PW V6. I am NOT trying to make it sound like a V8, rather to make it sound ........distinctive. To that end, I installed a Airaid CAI and Bassani axle back exhaust. I started looking into BBK long tube headers and a matching catted X pipe for some added performance gains and a better tone. A fellow mustang owner at work said save your cash, as it is a lot of coin and work for minimal gains (30hp says American Muscle), especially if I follow my plan and add a procharger supercharger.

My question is are the BBK long tube headers and x pipe really worth it? What performance gains have you seen? Does the x pipe make your exhaust tone deeper, or more raspy and drone like a ricer? Are there companies other than BBK making headers and such for the V6? The few videos I have seen on YouTube for the BBK components are subjective to say the least, as these are hardly professionals main them.

Clearly I don't want to part with nearly 900$ if the gains won't really matter.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 1/6/13 at 08:14 PM.
Old 1/6/13, 07:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Those headers with an x are downright obnoxious and loud. You won't see much performance gain compared to the gain in sound.

I personally think that setup will draw too much attention from cops, neighbors, and import idiots.
However, if its loud you want, then go for it.

It's alot of coin also for me. Like I said, I'd stick with a good axle back system and throw the extra money into gears and a tune.
Old 1/6/13, 08:01 PM

Search YouTube as well as asking around. You can find examples before you buy.
Old 1/6/13, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go get the headers. Im surprised u dont think it sounds like a V8 already. Lately i have found that i get more enjoyment out of suspension changes.
Old 1/6/13, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

You won't see much performance gains, just better sounds. If that's worth the cost to you then go ahead. To me, it's more about the sound. I love the way long tube headers sound, but only on a v8.
Old 1/6/13, 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

This isn't quite apples to apples because my car is a 4.6 V8 and yours a 3.7 V6, but I felt a definite, noticeable gain in acceleration especially above 3000 rpm after the install of an offroad X pipe.

If you can get away with running no cats that's what I'd do, you're going to save a lot of money (like, 500 to 600 dollars haha) that way compared to the headers and catted pipe and still get a performance gain. Plus the install is super easy compared to headers.

However it did make my car sound a lot louder and raspier. Raspier in a good way for my V8, but that might not be the same for your sixxer...
Old 1/7/13, 05:06 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
If your going to supercharge later on, i wouldn't do the long tubes.
I think my BBK long tube headers and catted shorty x-pipe are worth every cent. I really don't understand why so many people say they aren't worth it. I ran my headers for a few weeks without my 'tunes' changed. No check engine light, i had instant extra horsepower and torque
Old 1/7/13, 10:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Those headers with an x are downright obnoxious and loud. You won't see much performance gain compared to the gain in sound.

I personally think that setup will draw too much attention from cops, neighbors, and import idiots.
However, if its loud you want, then go for it.

It's alot of coin also for me. Like I said, I'd stick with a good axle back system and throw the extra money into gears and a tune.
Last time I checked the mustang is a awesome pony, musscle car. This car should be loud. Musscle cars need to be heard. Headers and off road x pipe make the 11 plus V6 sound awesome. Very aggressive and definite power gains. Gains in HP and torque. The removal of the cats will allow the air to flow out without being restricted. The headers will allow way better air flow in with the larger size than the stock manifolds. Heck yeah, BBK and X pipe are awesome. Can't wait to get mine.
Old 1/8/13, 01:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Last time I checked the mustang is a awesome pony, musscle car. This car should be loud. Musscle cars need to be heard. Headers and off road x pipe make the 11 plus V6 sound awesome. Very aggressive and definite power gains. Gains in HP and torque. The removal of the cats will allow the air to flow out without being restricted. The headers will allow way better air flow in with the larger size than the stock manifolds. Heck yeah, BBK and X pipe are awesome. Can't wait to get mine.
Not the v6! :no: it's wee wee compared to the v8 vroom vroom
Old 1/8/13, 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removal of cats is a federal offense...over rides any local "look away" law.

my son removed his from a Subaru. Sold the car. Two weeks later he was served papers for a suit. The buyer filed a suit because he could not register the car in his state where it failed a visual and "sniff" test. My son had two choices: pay 30K in federal fines, or buy the car back. He of course bought it back.

So, if you remove the cats, keep them. You'll need to re-install when you sell it to a private individual, or trade it in, as no dealer can sell a vehicle with any emmisions equipment removed nor can a private individual. Not sure if the "as is" clause works in this case.

Should you get a police officer to pull you over, you can be fined on the spot. Is it worth it? Todays cats flow a whole lot more than the ones long ago, and do not really hinder HP gains that much.

Last edited by Bucko; 1/8/13 at 10:47 AM.
Old 1/8/13, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko

my son removed his from a Subaru. Sold the car. Two weeks later he was served papers for a suit. The buyer filed a suit because he could not register the car in his state where it failed a visual and "sniff" test. My son had two choices: pay 30K in federal fines, or buy the car back. He of course bought it back.

So, if you remove the cats, keep them. You'll need to re-install when you sell it to a private individual, or trade it in, as no dealer can sell a vehicle with any emmisions equipment removed nor can a private individual. Not sure if the "as is" clause works in this case.

Should you get a police officer to pull you over, you can be fined on the spot. Is it worth it? Todays cats flow a whole lot more than the ones long ago, and do not really hinder HP gains that much.
Thanks for posting. I was going to post a similar response but couldn't find a nice way to say it. There's a reason those cats are on there. Simply put, Removal of the cats is uncalled for.

As far as the muscle car requirement of being loud? That's subjective. I can tell you first hand that the tone of my V8 is alot different than my V6. This needs to considered.There's plenty of loud cars and hillbilly trucks out there. This does not equate to muscle or the appearance of muscle. Any car enthusiast knows that the cars exhaust note and tone are more important than its decibel level.

You can can crank up a Billy Ray Cyrus greatest hits cd in ear shattering stadium surround sound but does that make it quality music?

Last edited by Getportfolio; 1/8/13 at 10:59 AM.
Old 1/8/13, 04:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Then just hold onto your cats and keep them for when you sell the vehicle. No big deal. If your someone that lives in a area where you don't have emissions , then take those cats off. I personally love the sound of headers and a off road x pipe. If someone was that concerned about it just buy a catted x pipe for 3.5 times the cost.

For me, I can't wait to get my headers and off road X pipe. I don't think its that loud with certain exhaust systems. The loudness really depends on the exhaust system one chooses. A good pair of long tube headers and aftermarket catted or off road X pipe gives the vehicle a more aggressive tone. Plus one will notice HP and torque gains because the engine is not not being bogged down with all the emission restrictions. So one is utilizing the vehicles true fullest potential of its given HP and torque.

A vehicle with 305 HP is not utilizing it's full HP because partly of the stock manifolds and cats. Its restricting the vehicles full potential of its 305 hp. A cai is not going to fully use its potential without headers. You can suck up all the cold air into the engine you what, the stock manifolds and cats can only push that cold air out so fast. The cold air is being majorly restricted by ones stock manifolds and cats.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/8/13 at 05:53 PM.
Old 1/8/13, 05:21 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for posting. I was going to post a similar response but couldn't find a nice way to say it. There's a reason those cats are on there. Simply put, Removal of the cats is uncalled for.

As far as the muscle car requirement of being loud? That's subjective. I can tell you first hand that the tone of my V8 is alot different than my V6. This needs to considered.There's plenty of loud cars and hillbilly trucks out there. This does not equate to muscle or the appearance of muscle. Any car enthusiast knows that the cars exhaust note and tone are more important than its decibel level.

You can can crank up a Billy Ray Cyrus greatest hits cd in ear shattering stadium surround sound but does that make it quality music?
Say what you want, but leave billy out of this!!
Old 1/8/13, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the long tubes, catted x pipe, and the Magnaflow street catback. It sounds beautiful. I don't regret that combination one bit. It's not raspy like if you were to combine those with a much louder exhaust such as a Roush. It's not too loud at all and has never once attracted law enforcement attention. And when I am up above 6,000 RPM's, The tone is freaking addicting. If you google some of the more obnoxious exhausts combined with headers and x-pipes for the V6, they will sound like absolute crap. But I assure you that with the combo I suggested, you won't regret the tone of it.
Old 1/8/13, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Also to add, when I was at the track with my car this summer, I had a couple of very knowledgeable car people come up to me and ask if it was a 6 or an 8 because they had a debate going on it. One thought it was a 8, the other thought maybe it was a 6...lol.
Old 1/8/13, 08:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by db2797
I have the long tubes, catted x pipe, and the Magnaflow street catback. It sounds beautiful. I don't regret that combination one bit. It's not raspy like if you were to combine those with a much louder exhaust such as a Roush. It's not too loud at all and has never once attracted law enforcement attention. And when I am up above 6,000 RPM's, The tone is freaking addicting. If you google some of the more obnoxious exhausts combined with headers and x-pipes for the V6, they will sound like absolute crap. But I assure you that with the combo I suggested, you won't regret the tone of it.
After talking with some other mustang enthusiasts , they say the high flow catted x pipe works just as well with headers as the off road x pipe. I think the key is getting rid of the stock manifolds and the stock cats. Getting something to breath better and push out that cold air from the engine.
Old 1/8/13, 09:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko

Just curious, but why would your son buy the car back. Prior to selling why not just have your son remove the off road x pipe and replace it with a high flowing catted x pipe. That's way cheaper than a 30k fine as you stated. Why would you buy the car back? Wouldn't it been better to just pay for a new catted x pipe for the new owner. The catted x pipes are emissions friendly. Just wondering.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/8/13 at 09:31 PM.
Old 4/1/13, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by db2797
Thanks for the input guys. On my V6 I already have Bassani axle backs, so I would only be adding BBK Long tube headers and a matched shorty catted x pipe. In Wisconsin I have to retain the cats for emissions. This is probably the route I will be taking, as a recent call to ProCharger revealed they will not be releasing a 2013 V6 specific SC anytime soon. On paper the addition of the afore mentioned BBK components should should net 30ish HP. Add a performance tune (will order at the same time) and the gain may be 50 -60hp at the crank. At least on paper. I am just hopeful that the sound will not be too obnoxious.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 4/1/13 at 08:07 PM.
Old 4/1/13, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
As well as illegal. It is actually a Federal offence to replace the cats or any other part of the emission system on a car that are still operational, and then they are supposed to be replaced by the stock part.

Not just no, But HELL NO
Old 4/2/13, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

asdfasdfasdfasdfadf

Last edited by Rando; 4/2/13 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: In need of exhaust advice....