Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

what is going on with e85?

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/14, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is going on with e85?

So, I saw a sign that E85 at a local station is in short supply. Looked online and it seems to be nationwide (for the most part) shortage of E85. I wasn't able to see why . Anyone know if it is because of the switch over during the spring?
Old 4/19/14, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's partly due to the switch to summer fuel blend, but mostly due to a lack of corn. Most every state that grows corn is in drought status making corn harder to come by and more expensive. Meat prices are going up, milk is going up, and gas prices are rising also because of the mandated ethanol (corn alcohol) content in gas. I think the gas companies are making E-85 in lesser amounts so that they can put it in regular gas to keep making more money on the E-10 blends that most of us use. Just my .02 cents.
Old 4/21/14, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

All sound reasons. I did some more digging and it seems that some of the issue also lies with transportation of the fuel. Looks like the rail lines had issues this year due to the weather and delays and now the cost for a rail car are at premiums and reg gas gets shipped first.
Don't know if that is a valid reason but just what I read off the internet so it must be true

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
It's partly due to the switch to summer fuel blend, but mostly due to a lack of corn. Most every state that grows corn is in drought status making corn harder to come by and more expensive. Meat prices are going up, milk is going up, and gas prices are rising also because of the mandated ethanol (corn alcohol) content in gas. I think the gas companies are making E-85 in lesser amounts so that they can put it in regular gas to keep making more money on the E-10 blends that most of us use. Just my .02 cents.
Old 4/21/14, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Everyone start growing corn!
Old 4/21/14, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Just went to Wal-Mart and bought all of their corn on the cob and even bought canned cream style. I'm ready!

Originally Posted by GrnT
Everyone start growing corn!

Last edited by woodzusa; 4/21/14 at 06:43 PM.
Old 4/21/14, 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Wait, wait... We subsidize the growing of corn specifically for food AND fuel, and they can't freakin' IMPORT WATER??!?!

What. The. Hell.

I know, I know... I'm not a farmer, I don't know what I'm talking about, etc, etc... whatever. This shouldn't be a thing, if I'm paying twice to get the stuff. We can talk about Keystone XL, but can't pipe water to the farms.

Go figure.
Old 4/22/14, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, years ago when part of the Country was in a drought and another part was being flooded I thought, what a great infra-structure project so we can pump water where it's needed from areas where it's not. I guess it's too obvious.
Old 4/23/14, 01:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It's definitely a corn shortage brought on, in part, by increased tortilla production nationwide. There was a spike leading into February (The 24th was National Tortilla Chip Day) and these chips have been the official snack for the state of Texas for several years now causing large increases in consumption.

The administration is planning a "Nachos for Fuel" program to help alleviate the situation but the Texans are stubbornly resisting the proposed substitution of vegetables.

However, we are being assured:
"These corn shortages will soon be over, the prices for E85 will be cheaper, and if you like your Fritos, you can keep them."
Old 4/23/14, 05:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
It's definitely a corn shortage brought on, in part, by increased tortilla production nationwide. There was a spike leading into February (The 24th was National Tortilla Chip Day) and these chips have been the official snack for the state of Texas for several years now causing large increases in consumption.

The administration is planning a "Nachos for Fuel" program to help alleviate the situation but the Texans are stubbornly resisting the proposed substitution of vegetables...
That's right. Because we can.
Old 4/23/14, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
That's right. Because we can.
I am 2 hours N of the great state of Tejas. There has been much talk at the OK and TX border of running a bootleg operation to supply said "nachos" south.