Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/14, 02:47 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is mine but not enough miles yet to tell. Will report back after my next track day and 150 miles each way trip to get there.

Year: 2014.5
Trackey or Track Cal: Trackey
Mileage Since Install:400
Trackey Usage %: 100
Lopey Idle Active %: 100
Fuel Octane: 93 Shell
Octane Adjust: No
Using Included K&N Filter: Yes
Air Conditioner Issues: No
Engine Pinging: No
CEL?: No
CEL Code(s): N/A
Milage Between Install and First CEL: N/A
Catch Can Installed: Yes
Catch Can Right / Left / Both: Right separator Steeda
Catch Can Brand: Steeda model # 555-3711
City / Highway Percentage: 100 City, 0 HWY
Other Mods: GT500 Mufflers
Additional Comments:
Old 7/8/14, 03:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2014
Trackey or Track Cal: Trackey
Mileage Since Install: ~200
Trackey Usage %: 50%
Fuel Octane: 93
CEL?: YES
CEL Code(s): P0420, P0430
Milage Between Install and First CEL: ~70 miles
Catch Can Installed: No
Catch Can Right / Left / Both: N/A
Catch Can Brand: N/A
City / Highway Percentage: 50 City, 50 HWY
Other Mods: Boss302 side exhaust & GT500 Mufflers
Additional Comments:
Old 7/8/14, 03:29 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Tod and David
If we get enough responses I will compile the data so we can look for trends.
Old 7/8/14, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2014.5
Trackey or Track Cal: TrackKey
Mileage Since Install: ~1200
Trackey Usage %: 75%
Lopey Idle Active %: 100%
Octane Adjust: Yes
Engine Pinging: Yes
CEL Code(s): P0420, P0430, P219B, P0315
Milage Between Install and First CEL: ~100 miles
City / Highway Percentage: 95 City, 5 HWY
Other Mods: GT500 Mufflers, resonators deleted, sound tube deleted
Additional Comments:

Old 7/8/14, 05:54 PM

Trackey or Track Cal: Track Key
Mileage Since Install: about 1000
Trackey Usage %: 75
CEL Code(s): P0420, P0430, P218B
Milage Between Install and First CEL: 500
City / Highway Percentage: 50 City, 50 HWY
Other Mods: Stock until 2 days ago now Roush
Additional Comments:

Last edited by 19cobra99; 7/8/14 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Opps wrong anse
Old 7/8/14, 05:56 PM

I do have the K&N installed
Old 7/8/14, 08:02 PM
GT Member

Trackey or Track Cal: Track Key
Mileage Since Install: about 200
Trackey Usage %: 75
Lopey Idle Active %: on 100, does not always have a chance to activate
Engine Pinging: yes, went away shortly after first cruise
CEL?: NO
CEL Code(s): n/a
Milage Between Install and First CEL: n/a
Catch Can Installed: Yes
Catch Can Right / Left / Both: Passeger
Catch Can Brand: Bob's
City / Highway Percentage: 100% city
Other Mods: Cat back exhaust
Additional Comments: will update if any change/CEL should come on
Old 7/8/14, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Hmmmm. Lots of inconsistencies with pinging so far. Yes (for one cycle) with a catch can but 91 octane. Yes (for one cycle) with a catch and 93. No with no catch and 93. No with catch and 93. Yes with no catch and 93.

I'm thinking that the PCM has to learn and they all ping for the first drive cycle, just some are more sensitive to hear it than others. From there, the catch can OR 93 octane keep it from coming back. Only flaw with this thought is that GT5 is running 93 and still hearing it, even after turning octane adjust on. ****, I'm really starting to wonder/worry about this tunes completion.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/8/14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 7/9/14, 02:48 AM

Trackey or Track Cal: Track Cal
Mileage Since Install: 1500
Trackey Usage %: 100
Fuel Octane: 91
Octane Adjust: No and Yes (Didn't seem to make a difference)
Engine Pinging: Yes
CEL Code(s): P0420, P0430
Milage Between Install and First CEL: 100
City / Highway Percentage: 30 City, 70 HWY
Other Mods: 3" Mandrel cat-back with chambered mufflers and X-pipe
Additional Comments: This engine also has the infamous "ignitor tick" issue prior to the tune, that has not yet been diagnosed. This concern is now present at idle with lopey idle engaged. Never before had the "tick" at idle, that is a new concern since the day the tune was installed. Running 5w-50 full synthetic oil and RELIGIOUSLY run Chevron 91 octane, cleared CEL after 100-mile mark, car ran great and no codes for a few hundred more miles and 4 days, drove both hard and easy in that time, now CEL comes back just about every day, seems to do better/stays off longer when driving hard versus easy. Cats definitely smelled for first few days. Smell has subsided. Audible pinging when rolling hard into throttle now (Did not ping for the first few hundred miles.) Have not yet changed back to stock tune to compare, have not had cats tested yet.

Last edited by bwkelley76; 7/9/14 at 03:04 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 03:01 AM

Wishful thinking I'm sure but I'm curious if Ford has a large batch of borderline catalytic converters, and maybe the Track Key and Track Cal is the straw that breaks the camel's back here.

Curious to see if those of us that have our cats replaced by Ford have a recurring problem or not. I've seen a few reports of Bosses that had cats replaced and I believe no recurring issues. ...Time to start following the Boss forums a bit closer.

Last edited by bwkelley76; 7/9/14 at 03:05 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Sorry Ray I was out of town on a business trip. My car has gotten the CEL (3) times now. All (3) times were mixed driving, a little back roads cruising, some highway and city stop and go. The first time I got the CEL was showing off the lopey idle for some friends. The 2nd time I was not even using Trackey and 3rd time was again showing off the lopey idle feature. When the lopey idle is doing its thing you can really smell the difference in the exhaust.

Dealer says the cats are bad but they are on back-order. They also said mine isn't the only one with this issue.

The cats should not be bad. All of our testing shows the cats are not being damaged. It is a flase code.
Old 7/9/14, 08:23 AM

There will be an updated calibration that will take care of the false codes for cats. The cats are not being damaged.

Please send me an email with full name, VIN and shipping address, when the new cal is released I wil make sure everyone receives it. Not everyone will see these codes but we want everyone to get the new cal to make sure you dont ever have these codes.

These engines are known for oil pullover through the passenger PCV and when that happens the octane is reduced. This is where the PING comes from. An oil seperator on the passenger side will get rid of the oil in the intake manifold.

My direct email is rherron9@ford.com

Thanks, Ray
Old 7/9/14, 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bwkelley76
Year: 2014 Trackey or Track Cal: Track Cal Mileage Since Install: 1500 Trackey Usage %: 100 Lopey Idle Active %: 100 Fuel Octane: 91 Octane Adjust: No and Yes (Didn't seem to make a difference) Using Included K&N Filter: Yes Air Conditioner Issues: No Engine Pinging: Yes CEL?: YES CEL Code(s): P0420, P0430 Milage Between Install and First CEL: 100 Catch Can Installed: No Catch Can Right / Left / Both: N/A Catch Can Brand: N/A City / Highway Percentage: 30 City, 70 HWY Other Mods: 3" Mandrel cat-back with chambered mufflers and X-pipe Additional Comments: This engine also has the infamous "ignitor tick" issue prior to the tune, that has not yet been diagnosed. This concern is now present at idle with lopey idle engaged. Never before had the "tick" at idle, that is a new concern since the day the tune was installed. Running 5w-50 full synthetic oil and RELIGIOUSLY run Chevron 91 octane, cleared CEL after 100-mile mark, car ran great and no codes for a few hundred more miles and 4 days, drove both hard and easy in that time, now CEL comes back just about every day, seems to do better/stays off longer when driving hard versus easy. Cats definitely smelled for first few days. Smell has subsided. Audible pinging when rolling hard into throttle now (Did not ping for the first few hundred miles.) Have not yet changed back to stock tune to compare, have not had cats tested yet.
I guess it's pretty safe to say that with 91 octane and no catch can, you will get pinging. I'm hoping that the ignitor tick is an independent issue that was worsened and not caused by the tune. I think it's also safe to say that with the initial smell and several day spread between cels that progresses to an everyday cel that the cats are degrading the more it's used.

Wishful thinking I'm sure but I'm curious if Ford has a large batch of borderline catalytic converters, and maybe the Track Key and Track Cal is the straw that breaks the camel's back here. Curious to see if those of us that have our cats replaced by Ford have a recurring problem or not. I've seen a few reports of Bosses that had cats replaced and I believe no recurring issues. ...Time to start following the Boss forums a bit closer.
I guess it is possible that the cats are bad to begin with. But I don't see how that could be since so many are having the issue over 2 build years. Also in aftermarket tunes we know that lopey idle kills cats.
Old 7/9/14, 08:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by raysmust
The cats should not be bad. All of our testing shows the cats are not being damaged. It is a flase code.
Ray if people are smelling the cats and the sensors are saying its bad after repeated reset and diagnostic, how could this be false? It's not like a knock sensor going off from another sound. These people are smelling the deterioration first hand.

Also by shutting off the sensors in the update, how will the owner know if they really do have a cat issue one day?

I have to be honest. As a tuner for almost 10 yrs, this sounds like an irresponsible solution.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/9/14 at 08:49 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 08:40 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other Mods: 3" Mandrel cat-back with chambered mufflers and X-pipe
I am not suggesting your X-pipe is causing any problems however I believe the only exhaust mods Ford Racing recommends is GT500 mufflers and/or Boss302 side exit exhaust.
Old 7/9/14, 08:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
There will be an updated calibration that will take care of the false codes for cats. The cats are not being damaged. Please send me an email with full name, VIN and shipping address, when the new cal is released I wil make sure everyone receives it. Not everyone will see these codes but we want everyone to get the new cal to make sure you dont ever have these codes. These engines are known for oil pullover through the passenger PCV and when that happens the octane is reduced. This is where the PING comes from. An oil seperator on the passenger side will get rid of the oil in the intake manifold. My direct email is rherron9@ford.com Thanks, Ray
If you guys get rid of the "false codes" or actual catalytic converter damage (perhaps the aftermarket tunes resulted in the same false code, and an offroad pipe really isn't necessary?) I will go down to my local Ford dealer and get the Track Key for my 14 GT asap! I had been disappointed to hear about these problems, so I was just going to go catless and get an AED lope tune, but this would change my mind.

I need something to hold me over until I get my Kenne Bell, whenever that will be lol
Old 7/9/14, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by typesredline
Ray if people are smelling the cats and the sensors are saying its bad after repeated reset and diagnostic, how could this be false? It's not like a knock sensor going off from another sound. These people are smelling the deterioration first hand.

Also by shutting off the sensors in the update, how will the owner know if they really do have a cat issue one day?

I have to be honest. As a tuner for almost 10 yrs, this sounds like an irresponsible solution.

The tune does run richer at idle in lopey idle mode. That is what is being smelled. The codes are from a timed monitor in the PCM not completeing when it should.
Old 7/9/14, 08:55 AM

Sorry, missed the part about shutting off the sensors. We are not shutting off any sensors with the updated calibration. Our cals are emissions legal and all functions still work. The fix they are making is a production issue with the timer on the monitor, it will not be shut off.
Old 7/9/14, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

The tune does run richer at idle in lopey idle mode. That is what is being smelled. The codes are from a timed monitor in the PCM not completeing when it should.
Ok. I can accept that. So what about the tune is causing the monitor to time out and not complete? Obviously this monitor was completing in time prior to the tune. And since you're not turning anything off, I assume you guys will just lengthen the timer to allow it to complete its check?

Also what about the few that experience a/c issues?

Last edited by typesredline; 7/9/14 at 09:02 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 09:06 AM

We have not been able to duplicate any A/C issues so I am not sure on that.

I dont know the details on what the adjustment is.

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013