Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

SUPERCHARGED BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/14, 02:12 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
You have heat issues with SC's as well, what exhaust restrictions do you mean on turbo's?
I'm not getting into the turbo vs' supercharger debate here. Too many times I have made the argument. You want turbo, do it. It ain't my motor.
Old 7/25/14, 05:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Thank you for this. That was refreshing. What's the details on the mods? Can't "just" be the turbo. So if I wanted 800-1000whp, what would I need to do? crate engine FI setup and tune tranny rear end what else?
He is also on stock tranny, shifter, and bracket. Boost is only at 10psi too. Keep in mind that this is a 13MY GT motor and daily driver. NOT the boss motor which would be even more durable.

This is his very first run. Like I said tq ended up around 750wtq after more tuning.

1st 1/4 run 10.35 @ 136

2nd after increased tq 10.004 @ 141

Last edited by typesredline; 7/25/14 at 05:37 PM.
Old 7/29/14, 01:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
He is also on stock tranny, shifter, and bracket. Boost is only at 10psi too. Keep in mind that this is a 13MY GT motor and daily driver. NOT the boss motor which would be even more durable.

This is his very first run. Like I said tq ended up around 750wtq after more tuning. http://youtu.be/NoJdkgN2HQQ

1st 1/4 run 10.35 @ 136 http://youtu.be/1f7T_Ccnm6c

2nd after increased tq 10.004 @ 141 http://youtu.be/2csfIsONnAc
sooooo stock motor?

it won't last long.
Old 7/29/14, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rmurer
sooooo stock motor? it won't last long.
Yes. And not true. It's low boost and safely tuned.
Old 7/29/14, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Thank you for this. That was refreshing. What's the details on the mods? Can't "just" be the turbo.

So if I wanted 800-1000whp, what would I need to do?

crate engine
FI setup and tune
tranny
rear end

what else?
Best bet would be to return to stock and sell the coyote motor for the going rate of 4-5k. Use that to buy a aluminator or sleeved short block with forged internal and spin the maggie to the max for some serious power.
Old 7/29/14, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is his very first run. Like I said tq ended up around 750wtq after more tuning.

1st 1/4 run 10.35 @ 136

2nd after increased tq 10.004 @ 141
I see a window in his future. Two of them in his block.
Old 7/29/14, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Hell yeah. If you drag race and use slicks, you're gonna snap something but it should be fine otherwise. It will require drag radials or road race rear tires to even enjoy the car though. I believe 800 is a reachable goal on the Boss though. I recommend a large blower though. 2.9-3.4L blower just to keep boost pressure down as low as possible and still get tons of airflow. Turbos will work also but it's just a lot more work, heat, and tuning issues. Along with exhaust restrictions that I personally don't agree with.
Though.

Old 7/29/14, 08:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
I see a window in his future. Two of them in his block.
Haha. This is one of the best engine builders in FL. That setup already has over 7000 miles on it.
Old 7/29/14, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Haha. This is one of the best engine builders in FL. That setup already has over 7000 miles on it.
If its on stock internals, it wont last long.
Old 7/29/14, 09:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry the engines just can't handle that type of power for very long, 7k miles isn't that much. Go over to SVT performance and post the same thing, bet you they'll say the same thing. I bet it doesn't make it to 10,000 milles on that setup.
Old 7/29/14, 10:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
If its on stock internals, it wont last long.
Sorry the engines just can't handle that type of power for very long, 7k miles isn't that much. Go over to SVT performance and post the same thing, bet you they'll say the same thing. I bet it doesn't make it to 10,000 milles on that setup.
I bet it does.
Old 7/29/14, 11:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I bet it does.
I'm inclined to agree with you. You guys have no idea how this car is driven. Just like Burton never goes into boost, I'm sure this car rarely does either
Old 7/29/14, 11:33 PM

Dunno. We have a couple local guys on stock GT motors running 9's with well over 600 hp. Daily drivers might I add. With a good tune and some tricks here and there it should hold up. One guy is running a whipple with a liquid to liquid intercooler system and has zero heat soak issues. Intake temps really low. I'm really surprised how much these are holding right now.
Old 7/30/14, 04:20 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm inclined to agree with you. You guys have no idea how this car is driven. Just like Burton never goes into boost, I'm sure this car rarely does either
Wait wait... You mean that powder coated blue thing on top of my engine does more than just match my coil covers? Now you're talking crazy!!!! I thought it was just aesthetics?

Hehe.

Dunno. We have a couple local guys on stock GT motors running 9's with well over 600 hp. Daily drivers might I add. With a good tune and some tricks here and there it should hold up. One guy is running a whipple with a liquid to liquid intercooler system and has zero heat soak issues. Intake temps really low. I'm really surprised how much these are holding right now.
This is interesting. If that's the case, me with a measly 550-575whp (properly tuned, mind you) should be jussssssssst fine.
Old 7/30/14, 04:40 AM

Wait wait... You mean that powder coated blue thing on top of my engine does more than just match my coil covers? Now you're talking crazy!!!! I thought it was just aesthetics? Hehe. This is interesting. If that's the case, me with a measly 550-575whp (properly tuned, mind you) should be jussssssssst fine.
I would think so. What are you using for an intercooler? Heat soak and intake temps are pretty important with any forced induction but the twin screws seem to generate more.
Old 7/30/14, 06:52 AM
Cobra Member

Exactly. This guy has been building record breaking cars for over 15 yrs. Plus the turbo kit is completely 100% custom designed and fabricated by him. It is very efficient.

I'm not surprised at the doubt though. Many people that are newer to the car world mistake power for blowing motors. But it's the tune. If done right, the stock internals can handle a bunch.

I don't know if I mentioned that it is completely stock interior. He has done nothing to drop weight on it. Sorry but that's **** impressive. I'm pretty sure he sells the kit.
Old 7/30/14, 07:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Wait wait... You mean that powder coated blue thing on top of my engine does more than just match my coil covers? Now you're talking crazy!!!! I thought it was just aesthetics? Hehe. This is interesting. If that's the case, me with a measly 550-575whp (properly tuned, mind you) should be jussssssssst fine.
Lol no you just have a really nice upper I
intake right?
Old 7/30/14, 08:53 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I would think so. What are you using for an intercooler? Heat soak and intake temps are pretty important with any forced induction but the twin screws seem to generate more.
Al, I have the Maggie kit's Intercooler and Heat Exchanger. No changes there. From what I hear/understand, folks that have done mods to the stock Maggie kit, have not changed either the IC or HE. Does that mean it's best? I dunno...I'm sure there are other better ones. I think it's just that no manufacturer makes a drop in "bigger and better" HE just yet. It has to be custom fitted. A lot of work.

Lol no you just have a really nice upper I
intake right?
That's it!!! I forgot what it was called. hehe
Old 7/30/14, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Exactly. This guy has been building record breaking cars for over 15 yrs. Plus the turbo kit is completely 100% custom designed and fabricated by him. It is very efficient.

I'm not surprised at the doubt though. Many people that are newer to the car world mistake power for blowing motors. But it's the tune. If done right, the stock internals can handle a bunch.

I don't know if I mentioned that it is completely stock interior. He has done nothing to drop weight on it. Sorry but that's **** impressive. I'm pretty sure he sells the kit.
A big part is in the tune, BUT the stock oil pump gears and rods will let go at the torque he is putting down. A tune is not going to help the strength of the internals.
Old 8/3/14, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justin with VMP is making like 871 rwhp on his boss and i believe its still on stock Internets.

Quick Reply: SUPERCHARGED BOSS