Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

shifter bracket bushing help

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/12, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifter bracket bushing help

I just put in a AM short throw about two weeks ago. This doesn't come with a bracket bushing bit everyone here talks highly of them. Can someone please educate me on exactly what this will do. Will it make the shifting smoother? Will it fix that 2nd and 3rd gear sticking?
Old 1/7/12, 04:12 PM
GT Member

Any 1 of your aftermarket brackets will be an improvement over stock. but brackets don't solve an already existing issue. Did it shift like that with the stock shifter?
Old 1/7/12, 04:32 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by White5ohh
I just put in a AM short throw about two weeks ago. This doesn't come with a bracket bushing bit everyone here talks highly of them. Can someone please educate me on exactly what this will do. Will it make the shifting smoother? Will it fix that 2nd and 3rd gear sticking?
Does it stick when the weather is cold?
If it did then you need to take the car to dealer and get the fluid replaced with Fo Mo Co Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. If not then make sure you are not triggering the shift solenoid. I believe the shift brackets only stabilize lateral movement and holds the lower assembly up. It does nothing to change shifting itself.
Old 1/7/12, 06:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will help your 2nd to 3rd issue when shifting hard. That stock bracket does poorly holding the shifter in place under heavy acceleration which causes you to "miss" 3rd gear. I installed the Steeda bracket with the stock shifter and haven't had that issue since.

The bracket/mount does not solve notchy shifting, it just gives the shifter better support under load.

You can see the difference between the two in my pic. The one on the left is the stock bracket...just rubber and zip ties. Easy installation and a must have IMO on our cars.

FWIW: the UPR is the cheapest, but I returned it because the NVH was unbearable. The Steeda and Barton are about the same in price and quality, but I've read the Barton is harder to install. The Steeda also comes with 2 different bushings, one has little to no NVH(the one I prefer) and the other is more rigid.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hytek; 1/7/12 at 06:40 PM.
Old 1/7/12, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

How do you like ur AM shifter? Is is smoother or more notchy compared to sock?
Im debating this shifter and looking for others feedback (more than whats on thier website)

FYI: The Barton bracket is on sale this month at AM.com!
Old 1/7/12, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes I ONLY have the issue when shifting hard. The am shifter helped with this a little but it mainly just reduced the throw.
Old 1/7/12, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes I noticed its for sale and im debating getting it. But I really like the shifter. Shifting is smoother now. Not as ruff as before
Old 1/8/12, 12:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes I ONLY have the issue when shifting hard. The am shifter helped with this a little but it mainly just reduced the throw.
Go with the Steeda bracket. That'll fix what you're experiencing. It cured the same issue for me. I've never missed 3rd since. I'm using the red bushing on the stock shifter, but since you have the AM shifter you can test out both bushings to see which one you like better.
Old 1/8/12, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Like they said above, our Shifter Base Bushing will help eliminate the NVH assoicated with the OE base bushing.

Comes with two different durometer custom made polyurethane bushings to chose from; one low durometer for no increase in shifter NVH, and a high durometer for minimum compliance

PM me if you need any additional questions answered. Also, like Hytek said, you can give the Steeda Tri Ax a try and never worry about missing the 2-3 shift. It is a great piece and it is made in the U.S.A

http://www.steeda.com/store/mustang-...e-bushing.html

Thanks

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 1/8/12 at 08:18 PM.
Old 1/9/12, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Like they said above, our Shifter Base Bushing will help eliminate the NVH assoicated with the OE base bushing.

Comes with two different durometer custom made polyurethane bushings to chose from; one low durometer for no increase in shifter NVH, and a high durometer for minimum compliance

PM me if you need any additional questions answered. Also, like Hytek said, you can give the Steeda Tri Ax a try and never worry about missing the 2-3 shift. It is a great piece and it is made in the U.S.A

http://www.steeda.com/store/mustang-...e-bushing.html

Thanks

TJ
TJ, can/will you match the sale price AM has on the Barton btacket ($69.99) for those of us interested in getting your Steeda bracket?
Old 1/9/12, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks alott guys I will hit you up pretty soon for that steeda bracket. You had me sold on made in usa
Old 1/9/12, 09:14 AM
GT Member

I installed the Barton yesterday. It was a more difficult job than I anticipated, but the results are excellent. My biggest worry is whether the 4 allen bolts that hold the plates and bushing in place will back out as a result of vibration. They are not the easiest bolts to access and tighten and I did not think to use Loctite on them. I guess I will have to check on them from time to time.

Mike
Old 1/9/12, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin
I installed the Barton yesterday. It was a more difficult job than I anticipated, but the results are excellent. My biggest worry is whether the 4 allen bolts that hold the plates and bushing in place will back out as a result of vibration. They are not the easiest bolts to access and tighten and I did not think to use Loctite on them. I guess I will have to check on them from time to time.

Mike
That's the reason I used the Steeda. Re-uses the existing 2 bolts and the bushing slides in place. All in all they are both great pieces and get the job done.
Old 1/9/12, 09:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Santa brought me a Steeda Billet Shifter Bracket (Part# 555-7090) for my new Boss, even before the Boss arrived. I'm going to install it just with the OE Boss shifter, to eliminate flex during my spirited shifts.
Old 1/9/12, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
That's the reason I used the Steeda. Re-uses the existing 2 bolts and the bushing slides in place. All in all they are both great pieces and get the job done.
The Barton re-uses the existing two bolts. However, it has 4 bolts that connect two plates in which the bushing is contained. It is what I consider to be a more solid piece than the Steeda, although more complex and more difficult to install. It is a really cramped space up there, especially with an X-Pipe in place. Either way, anything has to be better than that Mickey Moused stocker. Zip ties? WTF?

Mike
Old 1/9/12, 12:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin

The Barton re-uses the existing two bolts. However, it has 4 bolts that connect two plates in which the bushing is contained. It is what I consider to be a more solid piece than the Steeda, although more complex and more difficult to install. It is a really cramped space up there, especially with an X-Pipe in place. Either way, anything has to be better than that Mickey Moused stocker. Zip ties? WTF?

Mike
I agree. I laughed at the one that came out.