Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Which oil seperator!

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/14, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote is for Bob's. Easy install and it's a nice piece.
Old 3/8/14, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a picture of my Bob's can mounted.
Name:  001_zps8a871c1d.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  96.6 KB
Old 3/8/14, 06:39 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I noticed the drivers side on my 2007 was not catching oil and then I found a thread on SVTP where JLT as a replacement liter that's less obstructive that goes in the small hole and you remove the large filter.

Hopefully this solves everything. Don't really like the idea of this after the fact engineering bandaid but hopefully it works.
Old 3/9/14, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a JLT filter on my 5.0, but the plastic hardware that screwed into the can itself broke/sheared in half while driving causing a massive vacuum leak. Luckily I had the factory hose in the trunk to reinstall and continue driving. Pissed, called JLT and they mailed me their upgraded metal hardware, which must have been incorrect as it would not thread into the catch can.

After all that I drove to Latemodel Restoration and bought the Moroso Separator. The hoses on that unit sucked too, collapsed even at idle. I went and bought steel braided hose with AN fittings and installed those instead, and now I am in absolute love with my Moroso separator. I might even buy one and do the same for the drivers side....just for looks.
Old 3/10/14, 01:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I, too, chose Bob's separator but wasn't to crazy about the looks of the standard hoses and clamps. The AN stuff is overkill for this application and kind of pricy. So I got some Nylon Monofilament Sleeving (similar to what's covering some of the other hoses) and some shrink wrap to finish it. I had some leftover so I did the driver side hose to match.

Which oil seperator!-air-oil-separator-hoses.jpg

Last edited by El Coyote GT/CS; 3/10/14 at 12:20 PM.
Old 3/10/14, 08:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Sheesh... you guys have me paranoid about my JLT unit now.

So datalogging is the only way to detect a leak? How will it manifest in the performance of the car?
Old 3/10/14, 10:09 AM
V6 Member

According to some research that I have done also, you only need to add one for the passenger side because the driver's side hardly ever catches any oil whatsoever.

2011 GT 400A, GT500 AB, Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator, BMR Panhard Bar, Whiteline Tranny insert.
Old 3/10/14, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Sheesh... you guys have me paranoid about my JLT unit now.

So datalogging is the only way to detect a leak? How will it manifest in the performance of the car?
Well the vacuum leak in my case felt like I installed a stage 4 cam into my engine. The car was shaking side to side and rumbling very badly, and of course stalling at every stop light.
Old 3/10/14, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Lean mixture would cause a rough, inconsistent idle and higher combustion temperatures under load. But computer engine control systems attempt to "hide" the symptoms from the drivability possibly leading to engine damage. The good thing is these systems will typically turn on a check engine light with a code mentioning the affected system area (left bank, right bank, etc.).

Back in the day, we would use a spray bottle of water on suspect leak areas with the engine running and listen for a change in idle.
Old 3/12/14, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Well after trying to order a bobs oil separator for about a week now, I give up!
No one will return my calls the guy who answers the phones noes nothing about the product, and keeps getting my number and no one will call back.
I ordered a moroso oil separator and I will just upgrade the hoses.
Old 3/12/14, 10:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
Back in the day, we would use a spray bottle of water on suspect leak areas with the engine running and listen for a change in idle.
Geez... someone actually knows the basics without a freaking computer.
Old 3/12/14, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Well after trying to order a bobs oil separator for about a week now, I give up!
No one will return my calls the guy who answers the phones noes nothing about the product, and keeps getting my number and no one will call back.
I ordered a moroso oil separator and I will just upgrade the hoses.
Good choice! The hose and AN fittings cost me about 80 bucks including install. If I were you I would buy two of the PCV clip fittings and use those instead of cutting them off your factory PCV hose....you never know if you'll need it later like I did with the JLT. Some things about the Moroso, take the plastic orange cover off the drain pipe and throw it away....after driving it will melt and be nearly impossible to remove. When putting the unit together, use some high heat oil resistant sealant on the fittings, so they don't leak. That was a hard lesson learned, you can buy it at any auto parts store. As for the AN fittings, you only need a 90° fitting for the back side of the tank, the front fitting can be straight, it allows the hose to go into the engine cover more naturally. After install, put hose clamps on the hose where the PCV clip fittings are, to keep it from coming undone.

I will look for a pic of my moroso setup. Good luck.
Old 3/14/14, 11:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I drained my Bob's oil separator today for the first time since installing it and I got 3/8 of an ounce in about 1,035 miles. It seems less than what I was getting with the UPR can but I also had less miles on the car then.

I also changed the oil in the car for the first time today so I will probably check the Bob's can in about 3,000 miles to see what I get.

Wayne
Old 3/15/14, 12:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got my moroso air/oil separator today.
I'm just waiting on the factory PVC line fittings.
I don't want to cut up my factory line.
Parts should be here Monday!
Attached Images  
Old 3/15/14, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

That Moroso can looks pretty nice. I also ordered the factory ford fittings back when I installed the UPR can because I didn't want to cut up my factory line. How much did they charge you for yours? I had to pay about $10 each.

Wayne
Old 3/15/14, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
That Moroso can looks pretty nice. I also ordered the factory ford fittings back when I installed the UPR can because I didn't want to cut up my factory line. How much did they charge you for yours? I had to pay about $10 each.

Wayne
It was $20 for 2 of them
Old 3/17/14, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just put my Moroso air/oil separator on!
Attached Thumbnails Which oil seperator!-image.jpg  
Old 3/17/14, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks good. How long are you going to go before checking to see how much oil you get?

Wayne
Old 3/18/14, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well checked it tonight after only 250 mi.
I can not believe everyone does not put at least some sort of oil separator on there car!
Who would want all this oil in the intake manifold!
I checked the line coming out of the separator at the manifold, not even any oil residue completely dry!
This thing works great!
Attached Thumbnails Which oil seperator!-image.jpg  

Last edited by ElkGroveFordGuy; 3/18/14 at 06:36 PM.
Old 3/18/14, 07:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just upgraded to bobs

Quick Reply: Which oil seperator!