Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just installed Shaftmasters alum. driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/14, 06:02 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed Shaftmasters alum. driveshaft

Very pleased with quality. Some things they include were a surprise. New bolts with locktite. A socket to tighten the bolts. A tap to clean the threads out if necessary. It was a simple pain free install. Took about an hour. Nothing extra was needed. I did alot of research on the various DS out there. Shaftmasters alum. DS was equal to the rest but better price( $599 shipped). most of the others are over $700. Took it down the road, silky smooth. I would highly recommend.
Old 8/1/14, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

I have had a Shaftmasters on my 10 GT for about a year, smooth as silk.
Old 8/3/14, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why did Ford use a two piece driveshaft on the Mustangs if a one piece is better?

Wayne
Old 8/3/14, 09:27 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
Why did Ford use a two piece driveshaft on the Mustangs if a one piece is better? Wayne
---
I think for less NVH.
Old 8/3/14, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bodon
Very pleased with quality. Some things they include were a surprise. New bolts with locktite. A socket to tighten the bolts. A tap to clean the threads out if necessary. It was a simple pain free install. Took about an hour. Nothing extra was needed. I did alot of research on the various DS out there. Shaftmasters alum. DS was equal to the rest but better price( $599 shipped). most of the others are over $700. Took it down the road, silky smooth. I would highly recommend.
That's good to know as I'm in the market for an aluminum driveshaft. I can't seem to decide on which one I want.

Originally Posted by 70monte
Why did Ford use a two piece driveshaft on the Mustangs if a one piece is better?
Wayne
I heard the two piece steel driveshaft was a safety design in the event of a rear collision.

(my ‘06 Crown Vic had a factory one piece aluminum driveshaft, but that’s probably comparing apples to oranges)

Old 8/4/14, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I may consider one in the future. I have some type of drivetrain noise that seems to come from the middle of the car when you are driving it. I was wondering if it was coming from the two piece driveshaft.

Wayne
Old 8/4/14, 06:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
After more research time than is like to admit. I narrowed it down the Shaftmasters or PST. PST is local to me and they would measure and make it custom to those exact measurements. They also said they'd install it for free and service it for life. PST for those that don't know is like the DSS and uses a cv. However it DOES NOT use an adapter like DSS. And yes they test it up to 9k rpms just like DSS too. If you want/need a cv, this is the one to do IMO.

BUT the Shaftmasters also has phenomenal CS and I'd rather install it myself anyway plus save the $2-300.

So when the time comes SM it will be.
Old 8/5/14, 07:38 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
After more research time than is like to admit. I narrowed it down the Shaftmasters or PST. PST is local to me and they would measure and make it custom to those exact measurements. They also said they'd install it for free and service it for life. PST for those that don't know is like the DSS and uses a cv. However it DOES NOT use an adapter like DSS. And yes they test it up to 9k rpms just like DSS too. If you want/need a cv, this is the one to do IMO.

BUT the Shaftmasters also has phenomenal CS and I'd rather install it myself anyway plus save the $2-300.

So when the time comes SM it will be.
Just thought Id mention the Shaftmasters does have a CV joint. Got it installed and happy to say its silky smooth. Install was easy too. took about an hour.
Old 8/5/14, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just thought Id mention the Shaftmasters does have a CV joint. Got it installed and happy to say its silky smooth. Install was easy too. took about an hour.
Do you have a link for the $599 Shaftmasters w/CV joint? Thanks
Old 8/5/14, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
SM uses a slip yolk not a cv.

Each company has it's reasons. SM says the cv is where noises come from which is why they don't use it. PST says the cv makes it smoother.