Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

JLT Oil Seperator Issue

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/13, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLT Oil Seperator Issue

Had a loud popping noise while driving my 5.0 the other night. Drove fine after so I came up to a stop light and the idle kept jumping from 300 to 600 rpm and the whole car shaking badly. At the next light it completely died. Restarted it and it died again. Turned it on and revved up then dumped the clutch and the car took off okay. Pulled in to a ford dealer to check it out.
This is what I found....
Old 4/28/13, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Name:  ForumRunner_20130428_165920.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  23.8 KB
Attached Images  
Old 4/28/13, 05:21 PM
GT Member

How long has it been on the car? New?
Old 4/28/13, 05:34 PM
V6 Member

Sounds like there was a severe vacuum leak that was caused by the hose on the JLT separator failing. The JLT separators are popular, but they are known to fail and underperform compared to the Bob's oil separator.
Old 4/28/13, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call JLT, they will send you a replacement metal fitting. These failures are common. Why JLT hasn't started shipping these with metal fittings is, frankly, incomprehensible.
Old 4/30/13, 02:08 PM
V6 Member

I email them about the same issue I had and they sent me the new metal fitting right away by mail for free.
Old 5/1/13, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

happened to me, too. I called and asked for metal fittings...they sent plastic. On the car for 1 yr/9mo and 27K.
Old 5/4/13, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

It's good JLT will send new fittings, but that is not the only problem with the JLT separators....
Attached Thumbnails JLT Oil Seperator Issue-image-1900006140.jpg   JLT Oil Seperator Issue-image-3684500586.jpg  
Old 5/4/13, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M88K
It's good JLT will send new fittings, but that is not the only problem with the JLT separators....
Where's the picture of them in reverse order?
Old 5/4/13, 12:00 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Planeswalker
Where's the picture of them in reverse order?
Right. That experiment/pic means nothing. Drive a set amount of miles using (only) one and measure, swap the other in and drive the same amount of miles.

Reports from users show JLT is too restrictive and doesn't catch enough compared to others such as Moroso. Simply guessing on (internal) fitting size vs measuring air flow and choosing fitting size accordingly, is just that - guessing.

Yet some years back a few on this forum poked hawgwash at Brett @ BKU Motorsports because he actually obtained volumetric flow from Ford and designed his oil sep accordingly with the proper size internal fittings. Accuracy and engineering is everything. Otherwise you're just playing guessing games with yourself.

Then there are those that think a water sep from Home Depot is "adequate".

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/4/13 at 12:02 PM.
Old 5/5/13, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
5500 miles on our GT500 & only a few drops of oil in the left can & the right can completely dry.
Old 5/17/13, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by theACE
Had a loud popping noise while driving my 5.0 the other night. Drove fine after so I came up to a stop light and the idle kept jumping from 300 to 600 rpm and the whole car shaking badly. At the next light it completely died. Restarted it and it died again. Turned it on and revved up then dumped the clutch and the car took off okay. Pulled in to a ford dealer to check it out.
This is what I found....
I hope you contacted us, because we have aluminum replacements we can send right away.
Sorry this happened, but we stand behind our product 100%
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Call JLT, they will send you a replacement metal fitting. These failures are common. Why JLT hasn't started shipping these with metal fittings is, frankly, incomprehensible.
We have been using metal fittings since Aug 2011, but we sold thousands of separators up til then. So the internet is full of threads about it as well as info about us replacing them for free.
Originally Posted by M88K
This is from a GT500 test, not 5.0.
We found that flow of the separators plays a huge role in it's effectiveness.
On the GT500 the filter is on the out going side and as it saturates it can send oil out into the engine side if ran for a long time.
On the 5.0 the air flows in the filter side, collecting oil until it's heavy enough to drop in the can. That's why you see so many pictures from owners showing how much they collected. The 5.0 kit works great!.

We are working on a new filter to improve on what we collect even more.

Thanks
Jay
Old 5/17/13, 11:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tucker
I hope you contacted us, because we have aluminum replacements we can send right away.

We have been using metal fittings since Aug 2011, but we sold thousands of separators up til then. So the internet is full of threads about it as well as info about us replacing them for free.

This is from a GT500 test, not 5.0.
On the GT500 the filter is on the out going side and as it saturates it can send oil out into the engine side if ran for a long time.
On the 5.0 the air flows in the filter side, collecting oil until it's heavy enough to drop in the can. That's why you see so many pictures from owners showing how much they collected. The 5.0 kit works great!.

Thanks
Jay
Jay, this thread scared me... But the free metal fitting replacement is good news. I will give JLT a call on Monday. Good on you guys for stepping up.

I have been happy with mine so far.
Old 5/17/13, 12:11 PM
Post *****

That's why you see so many pictures from owners showing how much they collected. The 5.0 kit works great!.
Actually, the pics of oil collected with JLT is pretty small compared to others. Too restrictive?

Plenty of older 4.6 threads here about the importance of measuring flow and pressure through the PCV system, and the sep's plumbing and filter have to match that. Some here actually poked fun at that concept. They weren't too bright.

Good luck.
Old 5/17/13, 01:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Actually, the pics of oil collected with JLT is pretty small compared to others. Too restrictive?

Plenty of older 4.6 threads here about the importance of measuring flow and pressure through the PCV system, and the sep's plumbing and filter have to match that. Some here actually poked fun at that concept. They weren't too bright.

Good luck.

Why not phrase the question like an adult instead of trolling?

I think we can assume that JLT's testing showed that their unit wasn't too restrictive. They're not idiots.

Last edited by MRGTX; 5/17/13 at 01:48 PM.
Old 5/18/13, 12:58 PM
V6 Member

Here is how much oil came out of Bob's separator after 3,500 miles of daily driving within a 2.5 month period. I also took off the intake hose, stuck a q-tip in the hose and it was bone dry.

JLT Oil Seperator Issue-image-1916444452.jpg
Old 5/18/13, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the JLT on my '10 4.6 and have yet to empty the canister after 2 years. (hasn't filled up yet) about half a spoonful.
Old 5/23/13, 04:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks
Jay
Jay,
Do we have to have an actual failure to get the Aluminum replacements? I would like to have them more for piece of mind. I got mine less than a year ago from AM and it came with the plastic ones, must have been old stock or something...
Great product though, I would suggest 2 possible improvements though:

1st one might not be too easy, and i'm sure you have heard and probably looked into. Need a way to mount it....

2nd, it would be much easier for me to open it if the lid of the chamber had the same rough texture/finishing around the outside of the top lip/edges like the bottom half does for gripping purposes. I cringe with the torque put on the plastic fittings every time I try to remove and replace the bottom chamber as the smooth top part trys to slide in my fingertips. Having something on the top half to get a better grip would allow us to control the torque placed on the tube fittings while turning it to drain the oil, and may lead to less fitting failures IMO....

TIA

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 5/23/13 at 04:48 AM.
Old 5/23/13, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN

Jay,
Do we have to have an actual failure to get the Aluminum replacements? I would like to have them more for piece of mind. I got mine less than a year ago from AM and it came with the plastic ones, must have been old stock or something...
Great product though, I would suggest 2 possible improvements though:

1st one might not be too easy, and i'm sure you have heard and probably looked into. Need a way to mount it....

2nd, it would be much easier for me to open it if the lid of the chamber had the same rough texture/finishing around the outside of the top lip/edges like the bottom half does for gripping purposes. I cringe with the torque put on the plastic fittings every time I try to remove and replace the bottom chamber as the smooth top part trys to slide in my fingertips. Having something on the top half to get a better grip would allow us to control the torque placed on the tube fittings while turning it to drain the oil, and may lead to less fitting failures IMO....

TIA
Or for the same price, you could buy Bob's oil separator that already has everything you are asking for! There is one that mounts to the strut tower, or the firewall. Bob's oil separator also comes with a drain valve to easily drain the captured oil.
Old 5/27/13, 06:04 PM
V6 Member

Just checked my catch can for the first time with 1800 miles on the odometer. Installed on the day I took delivery of the car.
Attached Thumbnails JLT Oil Seperator Issue-img_2148.jpg   JLT Oil Seperator Issue-img_2149.jpg  

Quick Reply: JLT Oil Seperator Issue