Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

C&L Performance is now offering custom tuning for 2011-13 Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/12, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&L Performance is now offering custom tuning for 2011-13 Mustangs

Hey guys,

This is Doug, former owner of BamaChips, i've joined forces with C&L Performance, in Huntsville, AL, to start custom tuning once again. You can contact me direct 205-285-9360 or you can email me at Doug@CnLperformance.com. I will be writing all tune files or programming on the tuner of your choice.

We have both lines, Diablosport and SCT tuning software and products. This combined with my years of tuning experience and training will yield one of the best tunes on the market today. Any 05-10 auto customers of mine will tell you, I write the tunes that are what you want, what you ask for, and for most any modification combination on the market today. I focus on driveability and smooth operation, the WOT power is simple and about 5% of a tune, the power up to that point is where the car is at the other 95% of the time. Tuning for perfect driveability is what separates me from other custom tuners, not to mention my kick-*** auto tunes.

Yes, I work directly for C&L Performance but we will write tunes for ANY air intake on the market today.

Let us know how we can help you get the most power from your 5.0!

Thanks!! Doug
Old 7/10/12, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I am sure you'll take back your buisness from AM who claimes you are there tuner!!!!! Good move and you should get back into the tuning spotlife !
Old 7/11/12, 12:26 AM

Your auto tunes did in fact kick *** Doug! Glad to see you back!
Old 7/11/12, 04:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice! E Mailed you about an auto tune.
Old 7/11/12, 12:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually had a question about the C&L cai (tune required). I bought one for my 2012 gt base auto a couple of weeks go from a friend. I believe its a tune required cai because it didnt come with the extra tube insert. Anyways I installed it a few days back and after driving it for a couple of days with my heavy foot, the check engine light came on. I thought maybe something was loose or the sensor wasnt at 180, so i adjusted and tightened everything, unhooked the negative so the computer can restart, and after a day, the light came on again. Could this be due to the fact that I dont have a tune with this particular cai or something else? I will be looking for a tune within these next couple of weeks because I also have a boss 302 manifold ready for install .

Thanks in advance
Old 7/11/12, 01:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news, and a definite enhancement to C&L's services
Old 7/11/12, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great to see you back around Doug.

You are a main character in the game of tuning and
Im sure you will find success anywhere you go.
Old 7/11/12, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well CnL Jumped to the top of my CAI list.....
Old 7/11/12, 09:11 PM
GT Member

I think this might be a good thing since I was planning on grabbing a C&L CAI for my 5.0

I have a few auto tune related questions if you don't mind doug. I am fairly new when it come to auto part of tuning since all of my cars was manual for the last 15 years, so I didn't have to even look at or worry about auto tunes. I know how my minivan's auto tranny behave and I now know how this 6R80 behave. That is all I know. How exactly is auto tranny strategy changed to get the most out of this coyote engine? but more importantly, how does it balance daily drive ability with performance drive ability? When I ask around who does A6 tuning best, most answer seem to go towards VMP or amazon, and most guys seem to think their tune is great because they say is very smooth, like stock when driving normal, and animal when the foot start getting heavy.

and here is the most important question on this 6R80. The darn late downshift. What is the deal with this? I swear my honda minivan doesn't even have this. Now, is this something you are able to change? The reason why I ask is because a guy that has a bama tune actually said that late downshift has not been changed, but a guy with VMP say that it's totally eliminated.

Also, after the initial tune you guys send out, do you guys follow up with datalog and retune as necessary?

Thank you in adavance
Old 7/11/12, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gruiz_06
Actually had a question about the C&L cai (tune required). I bought one for my 2012 gt base auto a couple of weeks go from a friend. I believe its a tune required cai because it didnt come with the extra tube insert. Anyways I installed it a few days back and after driving it for a couple of days with my heavy foot, the check engine light came on. I thought maybe something was loose or the sensor wasnt at 180, so i adjusted and tightened everything, unhooked the negative so the computer can restart, and after a day, the light came on again. Could this be due to the fact that I dont have a tune with this particular cai or something else? I will be looking for a tune within these next couple of weeks because I also have a boss 302 manifold ready for install .

Thanks in advance

Yes, if you dont have the insert it will definitely require a tune. You have a few options here, first you can simply call us and order a No-tune insert for your MAF, sorry I dont know the pricing right off but I will find out for you tomorrow. Second of course if tuning, I can write you tunes for your C&L and most other mods you may have.

Just let us know how we can help!!
Old 7/11/12, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BOWTIE-X
I think this might be a good thing since I was planning on grabbing a C&L CAI for my 5.0

I have a few auto tune related questions if you don't mind doug. I am fairly new when it come to auto part of tuning since all of my cars was manual for the last 15 years, so I didn't have to even look at or worry about auto tunes. I know how my minivan's auto tranny behave and I now know how this 6R80 behave. That is all I know. How exactly is auto tranny strategy changed to get the most out of this coyote engine? but more importantly, how does it balance daily drive ability with performance drive ability? When I ask around who does A6 tuning best, most answer seem to go towards VMP or amazon, and most guys seem to think their tune is great because they say is very smooth, like stock when driving normal, and animal when the foot start getting heavy.

and here is the most important question on this 6R80. The darn late downshift. What is the deal with this? I swear my honda minivan doesn't even have this. Now, is this something you are able to change? The reason why I ask is because a guy that has a bama tune actually said that late downshift has not been changed, but a guy with VMP say that it's totally eliminated.

Also, after the initial tune you guys send out, do you guys follow up with datalog and retune as necessary?

Thank you in advance
Nice, I like challenging questions. The A6 has its own ECM that controls everything it does. It reads the engine's multiple sensors along with that of the ABS and even some on the advance track to make adjustments to shifting characteristics. The way it seperates daily driving from WOT operations is by using a calculated value called Load. The vehicles determines engine load based off of the sensors on the engine, with the MAF value being most important. The low load situations are normal daily driving but the heavier the throttle gets the higher the load calculation and therefor the tables in the transmission goto different cells to adjust. This is about the most basic way I can describe this, I can go into alot deeper description of transmission operation based on Load, Torque Management, Traction Control, Torque Converter Slip times, and Max allowed values for all but that would be a 3 page post.

As for downshifting times yes, I have made some adjustments for this as it's very slow stock. As with all of my tunes you will have my full support from the time you purchase the tune to the time you sell your vehicle. I do upgrades and tune changes or adjustments for free, for minor modifications, mainly forced induction which I don't do via email aren't covered.

Just let us know if we can help!

Thanks, Doug
Old 7/11/12, 10:28 PM
GT Member

Thank you doug! It's really great to actually see the "tuner" come on board and answer questions. I just came from 2011 camaro M6 and this is my first A6 in 15 years that I call "my lady". My other auto trannies are kids and mcdonalds hauler LOL! The first thing I noticed was the late downshift(wot, pause, downshift, go) which SUCKS!. Is already hard trying to adjust to a car that is driving for me, but it makes it that much not enjoyable if I can already see where ford watered down the shifting strategy. Hopefully after tuning out the A6, I won't have a a problem enjoying the A6 for a change.

Thanks again doug. I really appreciate you taking the initiative to come on board and answer questions for us! Hopefully some of these so called "best" tuners can learn one or two things from you and understand what is really important
Old 7/12/12, 12:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Doug! Yea plz get back to me on the tune pricing because I m going to need it to install the boss intake manifold anyways.
Old 7/12/12, 04:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should have an auto tune from Doug soon as i did order one and he is working on my tune. I will let everyone know the results. If you go to C&L's site you can go to their product page and order a single tune for 50 and 3 tunes for 110 if you have an SCT. That is a great deal from a great tuner as most are charging 200 and up for a single tune (Lund, Livernois, AED, Amazon)
Old 7/12/12, 07:48 AM
GT Member

Thanks red candy, I will be looking forward to your review!

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
I should have an auto tune from Doug soon as i did order one and he is working on my tune. I will let everyone know the results. If you go to C&L's site you can go to their product page and order a single tune for 50 and 3 tunes for 110 if you have an SCT. That is a great deal from a great tuner as most are charging 200 and up for a single tune (Lund, Livernois, AED, Amazon)
Old 7/12/12, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow this makes it so tempting to pick up a used sctx3 for my 2013 and then just have doug write me the tunes for it!
Especially after all the bad expierences i've had with bama and my last couple of tuned mustangs*not a bash bama post* I literally had nothing but problems with my 2010 4.0, my 2011 3.7 and my 2005 gt with their tune files!
Whereas with my 06 4.0 I ran doug's tunes before he sold out to bama and justins from vmp with ZERO issues!
Old 7/12/12, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gruiz_06
Thanks Doug! Yea plz get back to me on the tune pricing because I m going to need it to install the boss intake manifold anyways.

My custom tune files are $50 each or $115 for three or you can purchase them on a Diablosport Intune or SCT X3 for $389 with three custom tunes.

Just let me know how I can help!!

Thanks, Doug
Old 7/13/12, 07:09 AM

Hi doug
I have a 2012 Mustang GT, and am considering the purchase of a tuner.

My primary motivation is actually from 1) I intend to use new tires with reduced diameter and would like to fix the speedometer, and 2) I would like to alter the throttle by wire mapping and response because I find the stock tune difficult to rev match on downshift and I understand many tunes fix this.

I'm also an automotive engineer, and I really want the ability to modify things like the throttle response by myself. I've looked into the pro racer software. But since I'm not really wanting to create my own tunes from scratch, I'm not sure that is a good solution. I noticed on vmp website they would provide the tune in mtf format... Which I think means I can view the details in pro racer and also alter parameters like the throttle without losing the other tune.

Is there an option for this from you? If I purchase a sct tuner and later make modification, do I need to purchase new tunes or are they free similar to AM's policy?

Sorry for the long question
Matt
Old 7/13/12, 08:16 AM
GT Member

u00mem, quick question for you. I see you mention pro racer and changing your own parameters. Is there a program such as hp tuners vcm suite where you can tune yourself? Would that be pro racer for ford? Hp tuners for ford would be awesome! I used it for GM and there's nothing like strapping the car on the dyno and getting results yourself

Also, does SCT x3 give you any parameters I can tune myself?

Thanks in advance and I'm sure Doug will answer your question for ya. He seem like a very stand up guy!

Last edited by BOWTIE-X; 7/13/12 at 08:17 AM.
Old 7/13/12, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by u00mem9
Hi doug
I have a 2012 Mustang GT, and am considering the purchase of a tuner.

My primary motivation is actually from 1) I intend to use new tires with reduced diameter and would like to fix the speedometer, and 2) I would like to alter the throttle by wire mapping and response because I find the stock tune difficult to rev match on downshift and I understand many tunes fix this.

I'm also an automotive engineer, and I really want the ability to modify things like the throttle response by myself. I've looked into the pro racer software. But since I'm not really wanting to create my own tunes from scratch, I'm not sure that is a good solution. I noticed on vmp website they would provide the tune in mtf format... Which I think means I can view the details in pro racer and also alter parameters like the throttle without losing the other tune.

Is there an option for this from you? If I purchase a sct tuner and later make modification, do I need to purchase new tunes or are they free similar to AM's policy?

Sorry for the long question
Matt

Hi Matt,

The SCT Pro-Racer package is available for your vehicle, BUT you will not have access to the throttle tables as even we as SCT dealers must go threw a training course with SCT to gain access to them. I was in the first class with room full of who's-who in the tuning world and I tell you even though they went over the basics there was a tremendous learning curve to it. We don't list these for sale as it does give you the ability to change spark and fuel along with alot of other parameters but in doing so it gives you the FULL ability to hurt or even blow your engine Just contact me direct and we can discuss this some more.

I've had a bad experience selling them online to just anyone with a customer blowing up his turbo car. Since then I've been picky on who I sell them to.

Just let me know if I can help, the same goes for anyone.

My tunes do come with FREE tune revisions for basic mods as long as you own your car. I say basic because this doesn't include upgrades to forced induction.

Thanks, Doug

Quick Reply: C&L Performance is now offering custom tuning for 2011-13 Mustangs