Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss intake dyno numbers and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/11, 03:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss intake dyno numbers and discussion

Hi guys. With all the buzz on the Boss intake going around, I wanted to take the opportunity to share our own finding and opinions on this intake.

The candidate car for our dyno's was not completely stock. It already had an intake and tune package making well over 400 at the wheels. The vehicle in question had stock exhaust and no other power modifications outside the Steeda cold air and tune.

We switched to the Boss intake and made many pulls to optimize the tune and get the best results we could. The results are below.

As you can see, peak to peak numbers went up 20 horsepower. As expected though where the stock manifold falls off, the Boss manifold is no where near finished. The highlighted point around 7250rpm shows an impressive 53hp gain. Peak torque is down 14ft/lbs, but points in the midrange loose as much as 27 ft/lbs of torque.

Is this worth it to upgrade if you already have a cold air and tune? For many I think the answer will be yes, but this is definitely not for everyone.

An owner with a cold air/tune, and 3.31 gears that goes to the Boss manifold, tune, and 3.73's at the same time I think will be more than happy as the gears would absorb the feel of the torque loss. It is all going to matter on perspective and intended use.

I may have missed it, but I dont think I've seen anyone do a dyno on a stock intake/stock airbox/stock tune car vs the Boss intake/cold air/tune. We didnt have a car available to us to do the test this way.

We have speculated that compared to a completely bone stock car, the boss intake/cold air/tune combo would give up little if any torque compared to a car that is already making more torque because of tuning.

Looking though all the stock dyno's we had, all of them shut off pretty early due to the stock rev limiter so there is no way to compare how much top end power you make compared to a completely stock car.

I did find a dyno pull from one of our very early dyno development days. The pull is from a car with a stock airbox and very minor tune tweaks as we were just starting the development work. This pull was making around 10 to 12hp more than stock. Because it has a tune, the rev limiter is not an issue and you can use it just to get a vague idea of what the possibilities are.

Disclaimer: This comparison is in no way scientific. It is not same day/same car. Only same dyno on completely different days and weather conditions. It does give us a vague idea on what the gains may possibly be compared to a mostly stock car. Not accurate, but useful enough to give us trend.

As you can see, the torque curve is pretty close. This is not same car/same day as I mentioned earlier so I wont go as far to say that the Boss intake setup actually made more torque than stock, but the trend certainly points to near stock levels of torque. So for owners satisfied with the stock torque curve and want massive horsepower gains, this comparison tends to trend towards that exact result. Based on this comparison you are looking at the possibility of 80 horsepower at high RPM with near stock torque levels. Very interesting to say the least.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 3/8/11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 3/8/11, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great info.

For me its a no brainer, as last week on a smaller road course, it could have saved me from lifting to hold speed in one spot (versus short shifting or shifting at all), and at least 2 other shifts throughout the course. The torque curve with the boss manifold is still rediculously healthy, I don't think anyone's going to feel any soft of meaningful hesistation or lack of power versus a stock car.
Old 3/9/11, 07:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Gus,
Excellent information. Thanks for sharing this.
Interesting that the results look almost exactly as folks speculated they would...

I think the question will be- what RPM can a stock 5.0 safely take on a routine basis? If the answer is 7500ish, then this might be a really exciting upgrade and it would make the 4.10 axle worth its weight in gold.
Old 3/9/11, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Great info.

For me its a no brainer, as last week on a smaller road course, it could have saved me from lifting to hold speed in one spot (versus short shifting or shifting at all), and at least 2 other shifts throughout the course. The torque curve with the boss manifold is still rediculously healthy, I don't think anyone's going to feel any soft of meaningful hesistation or lack of power versus a stock car.
I agree, I think it would be perfect for what you want it for.

As to the question of safe RPM, the question is going to be what kind of longevity you want to sacrifice. No one still knows for sure how long these things will last being turned high RPM, but there are also a ton of people doing it and you are not seeing them blowing up left and right either.

In our testing we have regularly turned our cars to 7200 to 7400, so has the press and anyone else who we've given permission to thrash the cars.

Both our test cars are nearing a year now of constant abuse to these RPM levels without a hickup. Are these cars going to go 150,000+ miles? Certainly not.

For someone who doesnt put a lot of miles on their car though if the engine only goes 50 to 75,000 miles that could mean years of service even being revved that high. These engines are very stout but it's going to come down to what compromise to engine life the owner of the car is willing to make.
Old 3/11/11, 07:31 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your CAI require any modification to work correctly with this manifold?
Old 3/11/11, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Does your CAI require any modification to work correctly with this manifold?
I'm pretty sure it fits fine, it's just a matter of turning the tube a bit to accomodate the downward throttle body angle.
Old 3/11/11, 02:25 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by BlackOut2k11
I'm pretty sure it fits fine, it's just a matter of turning the tube a bit to accomodate the downward throttle body angle.
That's what I figured, but I wanted to confirm with Gus. Might also be a good idea to have a slightly longer silicone adaptor to the throttle body to make fitment better.
Old 3/29/11, 09:48 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

I am planning to put this intake manifold on my car. If I can get Livernois to agree to it I will test the following setups on the same day

100% Bone Stock
Tuned
Steeda CAI/tuned
Boss manifold/stock intake/tuned
Boss manifold/Steeda CAI/Tuned

Now I just need to get my hands on a Boss Manifold.....
Old 3/29/11, 02:38 PM
Cobra Member

The 100% stock vs boss intake/cai/tune will be the most interesting numbers. Will really be looking forward to seeing those.
Old 3/29/11, 02:40 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
The 100% stock vs boss intake/cai/tune will be the most interesting numbers. Will really be looking forward to seeing those.
I agree, just bought a house, but my first event is April 9th, how the hell am I gonna pull this rabbit out of the hat
Old 3/29/11, 03:06 PM
Cobra Member

That's what I figured, but I wanted to confirm with Gus. Might also be a good idea to have a slightly longer silicone adaptor to the throttle body to make fitment better.
We trimmed the throttle body end of the tube slightly for fitment on our install. Made it fit better. Its an easy and minimal modification.
Old 3/30/11, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

subscribed for stinger's dyno results.

Tousley's got the boss intake for $375.

http://www.tousleyford.com/index.cfm...anchiseID=2360

Summit wants $540 hahah!
Old 3/30/11, 10:53 AM
GTR Member

Didn't someone say you could get it for $258 somewhere?
Old 3/30/11, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Didn't someone say you could get it for $258 somewhere?
I don't remember that.. I remember a low price mentioned on one of these forums but can't remember the price. It may have been from Tousley though.
Old 4/7/11, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

Hey guys, just wanted to add a little personal note here. I got to spend 2 full days last weekend actually driving a Boss intake equipped car with our cold air intake and 3.73 gears. Whatever mid range torque is missing, its really hard to tell.

I would definitely own a car with that combination. The top end pull was simply intoxicating. Shift at 7300 on the 1-2 then 2-3 shift and it just feels like it pulls harder on each shift. Its amazing.
Old 4/7/11, 10:47 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

your killing me Gus, we are loading the toter home for Mid ohio right now, and now all I am thinking about is the extra 50hp up high on the back straight.............. d@mn you
Old 4/7/11, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
your killing me Gus, we are loading the toter home for Mid ohio right now, and now all I am thinking about is the extra 50hp up high on the back straight.............. d@mn you
Don't forget about the new Comp cams that came out, I think it was about 40 hp at 6500 rpms. Those with the boss intake and a higher rev limit should be interesting.
Old 4/7/11, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

must... resist...
Old 4/7/11, 10:57 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
must... resist...
losing.......battle.......to......resist......
Old 4/7/11, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

At least you guys have your cars... I swear I need to lose my computer so I stop looking for stuff till I pick mine up. Not even sure how long I should wait to start tearing it apart and adding stuff.

Quick Reply: Boss intake dyno numbers and discussion