Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/11, 05:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion

Discovered this while trying to find an affordable OEM GT500 rear spoiler: buyfordracing.com is selling the Boss302 side exhaust kit (which was recently released by FRPP at $895 retail) for only $699, and that includes free shipping!

I was/am not in the market for one of these systems, but sheez this seemed like a killer deal to me!

In addition they're selling the Boss302 intake for $399. That seemed like a killer deal to me also.

So you "sometime soon" guys go ahead and pull the trigger now and then post some good videos so I can see what I missed out on!
Old 12/21/11, 06:12 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
wouldn't the side boss pipes mean you'd have to change your rear bumper out too, since there's a cutout for the exhaust there?
Old 12/21/11, 06:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
wouldn't the side boss pipes mean you'd have to change your rear bumper out too, since there's a cutout for the exhaust there?
wat?

That's not how the Boss side exhaust works.
Old 12/21/11, 07:21 PM
GT Member

****, I'm not ready to drop the money on this yet. And I don't like contemplating rushed purchases! I'm going to cross my fingers that we'll see the set for even cheaper over the next 6-8 months.
Old 12/21/11, 07:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
No, the Boss has a quad exhaust, side pipes that exit just in front of the rear wheels & the normal axleback that exits @ the rear.
Old 12/21/11, 08:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by aircare84

No, the Boss has a quad exhaust, side pipes that exit just in front of the rear wheels & the normal axleback that exits @ the rear.
^^ This. Also, since the side exit pipes short circuit your mufflers there are restrictor plates that route most of the exhaust & sound thru your axle-back mufflers. Truly a QUAD exhaust! The cool part is these restrictor plates can be removed for track days or just general awesomeness...
Old 12/21/11, 08:31 PM
GT Member

I just finished installing this kit this evening, I ordered it from buyfordracing.com on Monday and it arrived today (should have been here yesterday but UPS forgot to put it on the truck for yesterday) they had the best price I could find and they have great service.

The kit is very nice quality and fitment.

I only got to drive it around the block but it sounds good, I installed it with the restrictor plate but will try it without sometime. Not too hard to remove.
Attached Thumbnails Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07858.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07847.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07870.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07885.jpg  
Old 12/22/11, 08:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
dwtc,
Nice job with getting it installed so quickly! Looks like your car is shaping up great with your mod choices.

I assume that this doesn't include mufflers, right? What are you running back there?

How much weight do you suppose this added to the car?

Did you have to drill anything? Any snags in the installation worth passing along?
Old 12/22/11, 09:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet ... thinking about these ... if I ever get delivery of my car! LOL ....

You could also drill out the hole in the restrictor plate larger to increase sound but not make it too loud ...

Can you post a picture of the factory H-pipe that you removed? thanks ...
Old 12/22/11, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've heard, the plate section is perfectly sized to allow electronic cutouts to be installed.
Old 12/22/11, 09:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
dwtc,
Nice job with getting it installed so quickly! Looks like your car is shaping up great with your mod choices.

I assume that this doesn't include mufflers, right? What are you running back there?

How much weight do you suppose this added to the car?

Did you have to drill anything? Any snags in the installation worth passing along?
^ What he said...plus any exhaust vids would be great (without the restrictor plate). Is the side exhaust visible or is it hidden by the rcoker panels? Thanks!!!
Old 12/22/11, 12:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

VERY interested to see the side exhaust from the side of the car. Can you see it?

Looks great man!
Old 12/22/11, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 99redmustang
^ What he said...plus any exhaust vids would be great (without the restrictor plate). Is the side exhaust visible or is it hidden by the rcoker panels? Thanks!!!
Its well hidden
Old 12/22/11, 03:47 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEwis26
From what I've heard, the plate section is perfectly sized to allow electronic cutouts to be installed.
PTRocks mentioned something about some FRPP cutouts, but I've never found any pictures of it. The 2-bolt design makes it near impossible to find an off-the-shelf cutout for the job.
Old 12/22/11, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dwtc
I just finished installing this kit this evening, I ordered it from buyfordracing.com on Monday and it arrived today (should have been here yesterday but UPS forgot to put it on the truck for yesterday) they had the best price I could find and they have great service.

The kit is very nice quality and fitment.

I only got to drive it around the block but it sounds good, I installed it with the restrictor plate but will try it without sometime. Not too hard to remove.
Dude this is an absolute sin without video of restrictor plate delete.
Old 12/22/11, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Found this on YouTube .

Old 12/22/11, 07:28 PM
GT Member

I'll try to answer all the above questions (and some pics)

The kit is just the h-pipe and both side pipes (and the 2 bolts that go on the side) no drilling. The shipping weight with the box was 34lbs, I don't think it adds much weight.

I have the stock cats and rear pipes, I changed the mufflers to the GT 500's (first thing I did)

I did take out the restrictor plates last night and drove it around the block, very nice sound but kind of loud, it was raining to day so I didn't get to drive it. No vids or sound clips but there are some on Youtube and you can hear how it sounds without the plates.

The pipes don't show, as said above they are well hidden, it's too bad you can't see them because the tips look so nice

I had the frpp x -pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-gt-h-pipe.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-gt-x-pipe.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07920.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07911.jpg   Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion-dsc07909.jpg  

Old 12/22/11, 08:13 PM
Cobra R Member

The QTP Electric cut-out valves can replace the restrictor plates and provide continuously variable restriction control, with wireless remote optional. Like having a volume control for your car exhaust, and it perfectly complements the Boss quad exhaust.

At least that's what I've read.....
Old 12/22/11, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Pull the plates! I had to put mine in to pass sound req's at Laguna Seca and it got waaay too quiet... Yanked them back out. Sounds great. No need to replace the mufflers unless you're looking for weight reduction.

a 15mm ratcheting end wrench is your friend for this job.
Old 12/22/11, 09:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
Pull the plates! I had to put mine in to pass sound req's at Laguna Seca and it got waaay too quiet... Yanked them back out. Sounds great. No need to replace the mufflers unless you're looking for weight reduction.

a 15mm ratcheting end wrench is your friend for this job.
It only takes a few minutes to pull them out. I don't drive it that much so will most likely leave them out, I started it in the garage tonight and it sounds great. It would be cool to have the QTP Electric cut-out valves but I don't think I would close them very often. I found this vid http://youtu.be/RZoLHsOrd-o and it is kind of cool !

Quick Reply: Boss 302 Side Exhaust Install/Discussion