Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

BEST auto tuner?!?

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/12, 11:25 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEST auto tuner?!?

Alright well when I first got my 5.0 I was liery about modding with all the #8 issues and ford not covering anything, but I have yet to hear a story recently and would like to get an intake, tune and o/r x pipe. First off I am not looking to start a tuner war/debate I am just looking to get some input from those with autos on who is a good/safe tuner that will make noticeable power.

As of right now I am stuck between AED, Amazon, Steeda, and VMP in that exact order. I have heard nothing but good things about shauns (AED) tunes and they seem to be getting better and better all the time. Amazon also seems very good and seeming that they personally drive an auto 5.0 they must have the auto tune down perfect! Steeda is on my list because they work extremely close with ford and definitely trust them, but not sure if they compare to the other tuners as far as power gains. Last but not least is VMP. I know justins wife owns an auto 5.0 and I have dealt with him before with my blown m90 2010 and never had a problem, but dont hear about his tunes too much on the n/a 5.0's.

Any input would be great as I would like all sides of any stories. This car is my DD and probably wont see the track more than once or twice a year but I am always looking for more power ;].

I race my friends 2012 evo all the time (he has tune, intake, full exhaust) and while I beat him (I'm 100% stock besides axlebacks), he said his goal is to beat me by the end of summer and I want to put a stop to that ;] lol.
Old 6/16/12, 07:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a 12 Auto gt now with 11,700 miles. I installed my steeda 93 tune at 1000 miles and the car couldn't be stronger.
Old 6/16/12, 08:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
I have a 12 Auto gt now with 11,700 miles. I installed my steeda 93 tune at 1000 miles and the car couldn't be stronger.
Well since your the only one that responded to this so far, I am gonna bombard you with questions lol.

Was it a big difference over stock? Do you get on the car a lot? How is gas mileage compared to stock? Spin the tires easily?
Old 6/16/12, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

The improvement over stock is way more than you'd expect. The first time I hit it, it gave me a huge pucker to say the least. The shifts are sick and the power increase is awesome. It was way more than I expected. My mileage improved over stock by about 1-2 MPG ( if I stay out of the throttle of course ) . The only problem you'll have is traction. It will boil the tires effortlessly even on the 1-2 shift. I need to add that I also have the steeda cai. Don't hesitate with this set up. It's very safe and second to none with the improvement you're going to get.
Old 6/17/12, 03:26 AM

I'm working with the SCT tuner myself. I have been working with HP Tuners for my Performance company for a few years now and I like the SCT so far. Here's a clip i found...

Old 6/17/12, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
VMP for the auto hands down.
Old 6/17/12, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Hands down? How'd you come to that conclusion? How's it better than the others?
Old 6/17/12, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yep.
He has the auto all figured out.. That's all that needs to be said. I've never had a car accelerate through the 1-2 shift like his tune does. It doesn't slam into second blowing the tires off like my last tune but it still chirps the tires in both the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Great throttle response, I don't even pay attention to mileage so can't help you there.
I dropped .3 off of the 0-60 time from stock and I did that on a 90 degree day..
Old 6/17/12, 03:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Didn't tpain have a really good auto tuner?
Old 6/17/12, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Alright well when I first got my 5.0 I was liery about modding with all the #8 issues and ford not covering anything, but I have yet to hear a story recently and would like to get an intake, tune and o/r x pipe. First off I am not looking to start a tuner war/debate I am just looking to get some input from those with autos on who is a good/safe tuner that will make noticeable power.

As of right now I am stuck between AED, Amazon, Steeda, and VMP in that exact order. I have heard nothing but good things about shauns (AED) tunes and they seem to be getting better and better all the time. Amazon also seems very good and seeming that they personally drive an auto 5.0 they must have the auto tune down perfect! Steeda is on my list because they work extremely close with ford and definitely trust them, but not sure if they compare to the other tuners as far as power gains. Last but not least is VMP. I know justins wife owns an auto 5.0 and I have dealt with him before with my blown m90 2010 and never had a problem, but dont hear about his tunes too much on the n/a 5.0's.

Any input would be great as I would like all sides of any stories. This car is my DD and probably wont see the track more than once or twice a year but I am always looking for more power ;].

I race my friends 2012 evo all the time (he has tune, intake, full exhaust) and while I beat him (I'm 100% stock besides axlebacks), he said his goal is to beat me by the end of summer and I want to put a stop to that ;] lol.
This Tues I got an apointment with Mustang Magic Inc. & American Muscle To Install SLP Long tube Ceramic coated headers and high flow cats with X-pipe to my current Borla ATAK axel-backs, a Steeda cold air intake(already in place) and a 170 degree thermostat. Then on Wed they will dynotune it with the SCT X-caliber handheld tuner. I will let you know the results after that.

Last edited by STUKUP2112; 6/18/12 at 05:32 AM.
Old 6/17/12, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by going for broke

Yep.
He has the auto all figured out.. That's all that needs to be said. I've never had a car accelerate through the 1-2 shift like his tune does. It doesn't slam into second blowing the tires off like my last tune but it still chirps .
Which tune blew your tires off in the 1-2 shift? Most all do that without drag radials.
Old 6/17/12, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Which tune blew your tires off in the 1-2 shift? Most all do that without drag radials.
He quoted me so he has a tune from VMP. You should try it. You'd be surprised how much better it is than your Steeda tune.
Old 6/17/12, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hands down? How'd you come to that conclusion? How's it better than the others?
How do you know it isn't better than others? I use VMP for my tunes on my manuals but his tunes are great. Now you have (2) with his auto tunes saying they are great yet your actually being some what of a **** about it.
Old 6/17/12, 07:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VMP hands down and I tried several with my 11.
Old 6/17/12, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

He quoted me so he has a tune from VMP. You should try it. You'd be surprised how much better it is than your Steeda tune.
If i installed it in my car and it ran better than 12.20 back to back to back (with a best of 12.18) , and dyno'd proper a/f and more rwhp without leaning out the tune, ( which causes the #8 poof btw) or deleting knock sensors then sure I'd switch.
Old 6/17/12, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB

How do you know it isn't better than others? I use VMP for my tunes on my manuals but his tunes are great. Now you have (2) with his auto tunes saying they are great yet your actually being some what of a **** about it.
I never said it's not, I only asked how is it better. read my above post. Thanks for the name calling pal.
Old 6/17/12, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Steeda. That's not what you want though ideally.
When you spin your not going forward.
The vmp is a nice firm shift but it doesn't break the tires crazy loose. A nice little chirp and no loss of traction.
Old 6/17/12, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by going for broke

Steeda. That's not what you want though ideally.
When you spin your not going forward.
The vmp is a nice firm shift but it doesn't break the tires crazy loose. A nice little chirp and no loss of traction.
I have the steeda 93 as well. I agree the shifts are sick. I even called Gus about it. With drag radials, its perfect and makes awesome times in the quarter or on the street. I understand that the Bama BBR shift as abruptly too. Not sure about Amazon
Old 6/17/12, 11:47 PM

I have a 2013 auto GT as well and I just ordered a Bama Tuner with the C&L intake. I here for tunes, Bama is the way to go. Here is a vid of a guy who got the Bama Tune and was very pleased with the results over Lund Racing!
Old 6/18/12, 05:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2013MustangGT
I have a 2013 auto GT as well and I just ordered a Bama Tuner with the C&L intake. I here for tunes, Bama is the way to go.
You heard wrong. Bama would be my last choice.

Quick Reply: BEST auto tuner?!?