Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Anyone running UPR Oil Separator/Catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/13, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone running UPR Oil Separator/Catch can?

Just ordered one of these. I'm wondering how you guys like the separator. I'm having doubts about ordering it with all the reviews about how good the JLT catch can is.
Old 10/22/13, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the UPR on my 2014 and like it just fine but I wasn't very impressed with the supplied hose or how they were supposed to attach to the PCV valve or intake so I made some changes.

The supplied hose felt like it was going to collapse so I bought some different hose from the auto parts store which turned out to be heater hose which eventually started to seep oil through it so I had to get something different. I found some hose made by gates that is for fuel vapor/PCV/EEC 5/8" in size that works great.

Since I didn't want to destroy my factory PCV valve to intake hose assembly, I bought two of the factory snap lock fittings that are on this assembly from Ford. They are pricy. They quoted me a price of $17 a piece but sold them to me for $10.55 a piece which is still expensive. The part # for these connectors are: 7T4Z 9E499 B if you want to try to find them. The 5/8" hose slides on to these connectors just fine and it's more of a stock look. The 5/8" hose was loose fitting on just the PCV valve and intake stubs and is why I ended up buying the factory connectors.

I bought my can back in August and at that time they were selling the cans with the plastic 90 degree elbows. I found out not long ago that they were now selling the cans with brass 90 degree elbows so since I didn't really trust the plastic ones, I ordered them from UPR after not being able to find any locally. They were also a little expensive but I wanted them so I payed. Yours should come with the new brass ones. Another thing that I did order from UPR which is an option under their universal catch can, is a drain petcock which screws in to the bottom of the catch can where the supplied metal plug goes. For some reason, the drain is not shown as an option on the specific year cans. I have not used it yet so I don't know how it will work. I would also recommend that you use Teflon tape on the brass elbows as well as the metal plug that goes in the bottom of the can. I didn't use it at first and had some oil seepage.

I didn't find out about the JLT cans until after I had already ordered the UPR ones so I may have bought it instead since it's more of a plug and play setup. I have read about some failures of the plastic elbows on the JLT cans and they are smaller than the UPR ones. I think they only hold 2 ounces of oil which is less than I had in my can after about 2,400 miles so in my case, I would probably have to empty the JLT one a lot if I had it.

Here is a picture of the install on mine. In this picture I was still using the heater hose. My new hose is black in color. Here is another picture of how much oil was captured in about 2,400 miles. I hope this info helped.

Old 10/23/13, 05:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the reply! I have heard that about the hoses and bought some braided hoses just in case. Can you just buy hose clamps (worm clamps) instead of the factory connection? Also, what is your take on the steel mesh inside of the can. Is it pretty solid? I heard that pieces of mesh can break off and get sucked in.

Last edited by dave07; 10/23/13 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10/23/13, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dave07
Thanks for the reply! I have heard that about the hoses and bought some braided hoses just in case. Can you just buy hose clamps (worm clamps) instead of the factory connection? Also, what is your take on the steel mesh inside of the can. Is it pretty solid? I heard that pieces of mesh can break off and get sucked in.
I mounted mine a little different. I bought a pvc hose from an f150 and used the connectors which came out cheaper than buying just the ends. I made the extra length hose which was spec for oil and gas and covered with abrasive resistant neting. The steel filter material inside is very coarse and should not break off. UPR and JLT are competitors and each will work. I just knew that by mounting it this way I was going to make custom hoses.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131023_093844.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  21.3 KB
Old 10/23/13, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can try using the hose clamps first to see how that works. I wanted more of a factory look and is why I chose to buy the connectors. I was just going to buy another Mustang PCV valve setup but it was going to cost too much because according to the part's guy. You could not buy the entire assembly. It was either the hose by itself, or the connector ends.

I have mine mounted like UPR recommends. I was going to mount mine where duseman59 did but the metal up there is very thin and I did not like how the can bent under it's weight so I mounted it where I did.

The steel mesh seems to be packed in there pretty solidly so I wouldn't worry about it.

Wayne
Old 10/24/13, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I finally got the catch can in the mail and boy, I'm not happy with the product this far.
  • It came with the wrong 90 degree elbows (to small)
  • There was fiber residue in the actual catch can. Almost like some felt fibers.
  • There was also what seemed to be motor oil in the catch can.
  • There was no steel mesh in the catch can!

This sucks. It really destroys my confidence in the product they are selling. I can understand 1 problem but 4? C'mon, were is the QA. I'm seriously contemplating returning the **** thing.
Old 10/24/13, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, that is a lot of issues. So there was no mesh in the upper part of the can where the 90 degree elbows screw in? What size elbows did they send? Mine were 5/8". Maybe they accidently sent one to you that was returned and had been used. Let us know what you find out.

Wayne
Old 10/24/13, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Just to let you guys know, Billet Technology is about to release their 11+ 5.0 Mustang catch cans, probably a couple of weeks away from doing it.
I should have a test unit on my car shortly.
Looking forward to it.
Will post pics as soon as I have it on.

For those of you that don't know about Billet Tech, they make awesome billet accessories, and some even awesomer engraving options.

See their current parts roster here:

www.custombilletstore.com

Old 10/24/13, 09:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please fix that pic so the thread opens! Geez!

Supposed to use transmission line (suitable for oil) on Oil Separators.

Make sure you get one that matches the volumetrics/air flow for your specific engine.
Old 10/25/13, 04:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Name:  iriKZgA.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  972.8 KB
A picture of the catch can they sent me. Apparently there is no insert in there as well as missing the steel mesh.
Name:  4VNAreH.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  707.5 KB
How dirty the top of the catch can is.
Name:  irk94Kb.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  594.0 KB
90 degree elbow fitment (to small)
Name:  jgNddCQ.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  412.7 KB
Swab of the top of the catch can.

Yea, I just found out it is also missing the insert as well. I'm going to contact UPR and send the thing back. This is unacceptable.
Old 10/25/13, 06:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Unacceptable Production of Rubbish ... UPR

I'll never buy anything from them.

If I were you I'd just ask for a full refund and spend the money elsewhere ... JLT or wait for the best to become available, the Billet Tech piece

BT's can all apart for your viewing pleasure:

Name:  P5190072.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  48.4 KB

A great shot showing the stainless steel mesh packed into the top:

Name:  DSCN0175.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  83.0 KB

And they even have clear-bottom options:

Name:  20020-3T_zpsa1b6787c.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  13.0 KB

And can-extender options:

Name:  DSCN0527.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  64.4 KB

And some of their color/finish options:

Name:  DSCN1419.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  37.8 KB
Old 10/25/13, 06:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Gabe,

Those look pretty slick. Any idea on pricing and a firm release date? They look pretty well made. I wouldn't mind having one!

Also, I called UPR this morning and I'm getting a full refund. The guy said I probably got a used one by accident!
Old 10/25/13, 07:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Gabe,

Those look pretty slick. Any idea on pricing and a firm release date? They look pretty well made. I wouldn't mind having one!

Also, I called UPR this morning and I'm getting a full refund. The guy said I probably got a used one by accident!
The ones they make for the Mopar guys start at about $100 plus options/engravings.
They're only using metal fittings these days, and they've been making cans for years, they're widely known within the Mopar community for their quality and awesome customer service.

Release date should be within a few weeks.

I've been after them to make Mustang stuff for some time now ... I'm psyched to see they're finally starting to.

And what better product to start with than their Signature Series Catch Can ...
Old 10/25/13, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

To be honest, I don't see much difference between the BT can vs the UPR one. The OP obviously got a used one which was a big screw up on UPR's part but the two cans I got from them seems to be solidly built. To be honest, I would probably buy the Moroso can if I had to do it all over again as I like it's mounting place better than UPR's or even JLT's.

As far as JLT goes, their can supposedly only holds 2 oz's which for my car would mean I would be emptying this can all of the time. Too small in my opinion.

Where is this new BT can supposed to mount under the 11+ Mustang's hood?

Wayne
Old 10/26/13, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

So I ended up getting a Bob's oil separator. I'm just to impatient to wait for the billet technology to come out with theirs. Thank you for the input!
Old 10/26/13, 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I ended up getting a Bob's oil separator. I'm just to impatient to wait for the billet technology to come out with theirs. Thank you for the input!
Nice! I've had bob's since I first bought my car, works like a champ and I got a sweet t-shirt.
Old 10/27/13, 06:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
To be honest, I don't see much difference between the BT can vs the UPR one. The OP obviously got a used one which was a big screw up on UPR's part but the two cans I got from them seems to be solidly built. To be honest, I would probably buy the Moroso can if I had to do it all over again as I like it's mounting place better than UPR's or even JLT's.

As far as JLT goes, their can supposedly only holds 2 oz's which for my car would mean I would be emptying this can all of the time. Too small in my opinion.

Where is this new BT can supposed to mount under the 11+ Mustang's hood?

Wayne
The UPR and the BT cans look a lot alike since UPR is also known as Unauthorized Product Reproductions, meaning they copy a lot of other people's designs and bring them to market with inferior quality and at a not-much-cheaper price point.

I don't have any details yet about how the BT can will mount, but I'll have a test unit under my hood in about 1-2 weeks, and will post pics then
Old 10/29/13, 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746
Nice! I've had bob's since I first bought my car, works like a champ and I got a sweet t-shirt.
What do you think the capacity is on the Bob's cans? Since the oil comes in to the bottom connector, it looks like the capacity is diminished somewhat. I've read a lot of good things about the Bob's cans and may purchase one since I'm still getting a little bit of oil in the output hose on my UPR can since the ports are across from each other only separated by the SS mesh.

Gabe,
Do you have any other pictures of the inside of the BT can. From the one picture you posted, it looks like the two connectors are separated from each other. I will also be interested in how and where this can mounts.

Wayne
Old 10/29/13, 08:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
What do you think the capacity is on the Bob's cans? Since the oil comes in to the bottom connector, it looks like the capacity is diminished somewhat. I've read a lot of good things about the Bob's cans and may purchase one since I'm still getting a little bit of oil in the output hose on my UPR can since the ports are across from each other only separated by the SS mesh.

Gabe,
Do you have any other pictures of the inside of the BT can. From the one picture you posted, it looks like the two connectors are separated from each other. I will also be interested in how and where this can mounts.

Wayne
These are the 2 others I have on my computer.
Yes the 2 connectors are separated, the stainless steel mesh is packed into the 2 top enclosures and it filters out the oil in 2 different steps.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone running UPR Oil Separator/Catch can?-p5190073.jpg   Anyone running UPR Oil Separator/Catch can?-p5190072.jpg  
Old 10/30/13, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Just installed the bob's oil separator. It's a pretty nice piece and installation was a breeze. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Anyone running UPR Oil Separator/Catch can?