Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

After market CAI vs Stock CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/11, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DBSaints

Different cars different dyno
^This^ my 5.0 w/ boss mani, steeda 93 tune, and steeda CAI was at 406hp on the dyno
Old 10/28/11, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DBSaints

Different cars different dyno
Unless it's a mustang dyno the dyno numbers should not be that far off.
Old 10/28/11, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bmeline916

Unless it's a mustang dyno the dyno numbers should not be that far off.
Disagree... There are alot of factors from dyno to humidity to temperature to different vehicle
Old 10/28/11, 11:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
Disagree... There are alot of factors from dyno to humidity to temperature to different vehicle
Old 10/28/11, 11:16 PM
V6 Member

I agree temp and dyno prep humidity all Is crucial durring a pull.
Old 10/29/11, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Come to think of it yeah there really is a lot of variables to take into account.
Old 10/29/11, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Still in all 423 to 405 is still a pretty big gap in whp!
Old 11/5/11, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

^This^ my 5.0 w/ boss mani, steeda 93 tune, and steeda CAI was at 406hp on the dyno
Hey Kona check out my dyno

Name:  image-3557120950.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:  image-3269796404.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  17.0 KB

Same mods and tune except I'm runnin a JLT cai.
Old 11/5/11, 09:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hey guys,

This is the original post that Gus did on another forum. As you can see we did a test of 3 CAI in a consistent environment. As you can see they all performed around the same.
Steeda vs Airaid vs JLT - which cold air is best?? Look here
No, this is not a "STEEDA is the best" thread. So read on for some really good info!

A few months ago there was a similar thread which I believe got deleted cause I could not find it anymore. Myself and a few others questioned the results of that thread, as it showed one of the intakes with tuning to make less power in the midrange than a stock car which is not true, it also showed one of the intakes making a ton of low end power over the others which was also incorrect.

We knew from our own data for this to be incorrect. Our argument was that these intakes are all close and you really can't go wrong with any one of them. But for the data to be valid for presentation we needed to do pulls on the same car, same day, same dyno. Our data at the time was scattered and not from the same cars, days, etc. Only from the same dyno.

So a few weeks ago we finally got the intakes together for our own shootout, same car, same day, same dyno, etc......

The tunes for this test were setup so timing and fuel were completely stable & consistent, so the differences between just the cold air systems themselves would be revealed. We did not have a stock intake for this car to test, so we baselined the Steeda system with tuning, then swapped each intake, modified the tune to accomodate each intake and made another pull.

So did our shootout back up what we were saying all along???

Yes, it did. As you can see, you really can't go wrong with any of these intake systems. They all make comparable levels of horsepower and torque across the entire RPM range.

As we had argued in the past, due to its size the JLT trades off a little bit of lowendtorque, however to the average user this difference would not be perceptible. Any of these intakes given the same tuning will essentially feel and perform about the same. I am sure some of the JLT's torque loss down low could be minimized with further tuning, but that was not the intent for this test and would have skewed the results. We wanted to show what the intakes themselves will do compared to each other.

So the conclusion? Choose your cold air intake based on your personal preference, because from a performance standpoint, you will not be disappointed by any of the ones in this thread.
Old 11/5/11, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Hey guys,

This is the original post that Gus did on another forum. As you can see we did a test of 3 CAI in a consistent environment. As you can see they all performed around the same.
Steeda vs Airaid vs JLT - which cold air is best?? Look here
No, this is not a "STEEDA is the best" thread. So read on for some really good info!

A few months ago there was a similar thread which I believe got deleted cause I could not find it anymore. Myself and a few others questioned the results of that thread, as it showed one of the intakes with tuning to make less power in the midrange than a stock car which is not true, it also showed one of the intakes making a ton of low end power over the others which was also incorrect.

We knew from our own data for this to be incorrect. Our argument was that these intakes are all close and you really can't go wrong with any one of them. But for the data to be valid for presentation we needed to do pulls on the same car, same day, same dyno. Our data at the time was scattered and not from the same cars, days, etc. Only from the same dyno.

So a few weeks ago we finally got the intakes together for our own shootout, same car, same day, same dyno, etc......

The tunes for this test were setup so timing and fuel were completely stable & consistent, so the differences between just the cold air systems themselves would be revealed. We did not have a stock intake for this car to test, so we baselined the Steeda system with tuning, then swapped each intake, modified the tune to accomodate each intake and made another pull.

So did our shootout back up what we were saying all along???

Yes, it did. As you can see, you really can't go wrong with any of these intake systems. They all make comparable levels of horsepower and torque across the entire RPM range.

As we had argued in the past, due to its size the JLT trades off a little bit of low end torque, however to the average user this difference would not be perceptible. Any of these intakes given the same tuning will essentially feel and perform about the same. I am sure some of the JLT's torque loss down low could be minimized with further tuning, but that was not the intent for this test and would have skewed the results. We wanted to show what the intakes themselves will do compared to each other.

So the conclusion? Choose your cold air intake based on your personal preference, because from a performance standpoint, you will not be disappointed by any of the ones in this thread.
Nice comparison! And props to Gus at steeda the numbers u guys put down with the boss mani is great! As I'm running ur race tune also these are my results next to yours thanks a bunch!

Name:  image-3112314039.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  18.2 KB

Steeda results!

Name:  image-2647419968.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  19.6 KB

My results!