Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

522 Naturally Aspirated RWHP on 91 octane!

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/12, 04:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 522 Naturally Aspirated RWHP on 91 octane!

Thank you to B@D racing, Brian Shapiro and Mason Rowland in Van Nuys California for making my dream of a high revving all engine highway star /track animal a reality. This car is insanely fast and docile at low speeds.

ENGINE: Short block: deck plated / line bored, forged rods, Wiseco forged pistons all balanced and recorded. Crank balanced and polished. Oil Squirters removed. Piston and rods good to 1000HP

Heads: Livernois porting, Boss Valve Springs (Good to 8000 rpm)

Cams: Comp Stage two Cams

Manifold: Boss Manifold/ Steeda Cold Air Intake

Exhaust: Kook Long Tubes, x-pipe, borla

Cooling: Salleen Grille, Ford Racing Vented Hood (Extremely Important) Boss Engine Oil Cooler, Fluidyne Radiator on the way.
Boss Oil Pan.

Transmission/drivetrain: Torsen T2r Differential (4-1) Bias ratio (awesome), Barton Shifter and Shifter Bracket (Stout).

Brakes: Front Brembos, Hawk pads, Full Tilt Front Brake rotors (7-8 lbs lighter than oem)

Suspension. BMR rear Lower Control Arms, Relocation Brackets, Steeda Sport Springs, Koni Yellows (adjustable), MM Caster Camber Plates, Steeda BumpSteer kit, Steeda Ball joints, Strano front adjustable sway bar 35.5 mm. Rears sway 24 mm

Wheels: 19x9 Forgestar F-14s (26lbs 5 lbs less than stock), 19x10 (25 lbs) 275/40/19 Pirellis on rear.

The interior is full black and Blue Alcantara Suede which covers not only the front and rear seats but also the dash, doors, and shifter console.

The shift boot, and parking break boot are both matching black and blue and are made of soft Italian Leather from Redline Sporting Goods.

The shift ball is black with a rally flag embedded in it.

Dynamatted floor pan and doors, transmission tunnel, entire trunk, 1/2 inch foam sound padding under front carpeting and in trunk. Extra thick "Ford Racing" Carpets in front and thick "Ford Racing" Carpeting in Trunk. This car is loud on the outside but civilized and quiet on the inside.

Inside,This car feels stout like an extremely high powered German Sports Car and it should because by now it has cost as much. The inside looks better than Mazerati. I'll post pictures tomorrow and you can argue if I am wrong. Even though I dynamatted the vehicle it weighs the same as when stock due to the fact that I have compensated by taking weight off in other areas.

If you drive this car and feel what it is like to be able to use the entire power band with stout torque in the lower rpms you will not inquire about why no blower. This is not a stoplight to stoplight car, although it will kick *** in that area if necessary. This car is for Mountain Roads and Desert Highways.

I anticipate No blown engine, good past 100,000 miles, less overheating issues at the track and I have 200 more horsepower than an excellent stock engine.

Yeah I probably spent more on this car than what it costs but I designed its look and directed its development to be something different than a regular hot rod. Custom. . . all engine high revving!

Pictures coming.
Old 5/19/12, 04:45 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds fantastic!! Great numbers!
Old 5/19/12, 04:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Nice man! Low 11s should be in your reach on this.

What kind of gears are in it?
Old 5/19/12, 05:13 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Awesome!!! Love the na route!
Old 5/19/12, 05:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'll do the same thing to my car. Either that or just upgrade the stereo or something like that. Maybe new floor mats, or just give it a good hand car wash. Something like one of those... SARCASM.

I can't imagine the money and planning that went into that. BRAV-freakin'-O. Amazing work, "We're not worthy!" YOU DA MAN!
Old 5/19/12, 05:26 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Hope you don't mind, had to throw this one out on te home page
Old 5/19/12, 05:58 PM

Where did you find that hood?! I love it!!!
Old 5/19/12, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Untamed_Coyote
Where did you find that hood?! I love it!!!
It looks like the Boss 302S hood or the Tiger Racing Hood

Last edited by ford20; 5/19/12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 5/19/12, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ford20
It looks like the Boss 302R hood or the Tiger Racing Hood
I can't find it for sale! any ideas?
Old 5/19/12, 07:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Give me a couple of minutes and I will get back to you

You can call or email Griggs Racing, I know they sell Tiger Racing Products. I know they had 05-09 and 10-12 parts on the site before but I can't find them. They may have accidentally got removed or they may be able to tell you or you can try and contact them on their facebook page, they may be able to help you there also.

http://www.facebook.com/TigerRacing

Also the only problem with this hood would be if it rains, you have nothing to prevent rain from getting in the on top of the engine and creating a mess and possibly other problems

Last edited by ford20; 5/19/12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 5/19/12, 07:17 PM

ok thanks for even looking
Old 5/19/12, 07:28 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by ford20
Also the only problem with this hood would be if it rains, you have nothing to prevent rain from getting in the on top of the engine and creating a mess and possibly other problems
If they did it right, there would be some internal design to avoid/reduce that. The 08 GT500 KR hood had heat extractors and had some under the hood design to minimize water issues.

Hood: Carbon fiber ducted design with supplemental air intakes, heat extractors and hood pins
Old 5/19/12, 07:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
If they did it right, there would be some internal design to avoid/reduce that. The 08 GT500 KR hood had heat extractors and had some under the hood design to minimize water issues.
That's a GREAT point! I hadn't thought of that, I was thinking that since this was designed for an all out race application they wouldn't have designed water troughs into the hood or some under hood design.

Its the same thing that Ford did with the 2013 GT ... Great point

I am curious what the OP has to say about this.
Old 5/19/12, 07:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Awesome work! I'm waiting for interior pics.
Old 5/19/12, 07:52 PM
V6 Member

Concerning the hood, Brian at B&D turned me on to it. He knows Paul Brown and I think he consulted him on the build. The Good: there is a video of it being tested in a wind tunnel. Inside Info was that it was worth 9 mph at the end of a straight and 15-20 degree cooler engine temps. I have tested this hood at high speed and it does what they say it does. Car is more stable with little under-hood buffeting. It is also incredibly light. The Bad: If you look at it it will crease. I creased it the first time I closed it. It comes wavy. It needs a lot of work. it doesn't really fit that great. I have more work to do on it. I think I am gonna take it to a real good body guy. But even with that being said the hood looks bad ***. I will post pictures tomorrow.
Old 5/19/12, 08:04 PM
Post *****

Thanx lawman! Had to send this link out to some non Mustang friends.

Using 15%, that's 614 flywheel! vs 412. 50% bump NA!
Old 5/19/12, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

This is sick, pics STAT!!

Old 5/19/12, 08:15 PM
V6 Member

I am waiting for my first ZL1 to pick on me. Say hello to my little friend: 400 less pounds and 50 more horsepower. Relax Giant man. Pics are coming.
Old 5/19/12, 08:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Do you have an Aluminum driveshaft?
Old 5/19/12, 08:27 PM
V6 Member

The three best things about this car besides the engine is 1) the Torsen T2r differential 2) the Barton Shifter and bracket. 3) The Koni Yellows. If i could only do three things that would be it.

Test drive on mountain road revealed to me the world of power oversteer. The incredible confidence this gives you in the twisties cannot be overstated. Many of the people *****ing about their tranny's wouldn't be *****ing if they turned off the skip shift and got a barton shifter and bracket. It solved all my "tranny" problems. Everyone who drives my car is in love with it. No grinding, forcing, missed shifts etc . . I have modded several cars but I am not an expert. All I am relating is my experience. There could be other shifters and brackets as good or better. But for me the Barton has served me well.

No one piece drive shaft. Have had bad experiences with them. I am not convinced the vibration and deflection problems have been solved and given the speeds I am turning the driveshaft, I just preferred to stick with the evil that I knew.

Last edited by lawman; 5/19/12 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 522 Naturally Aspirated RWHP on 91 octane!