Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

11's in the new 5 liter with ONLY CAI, TUNE and NITTOS!!

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/10, 03:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11's in the new 5 liter with ONLY CAI, TUNE and NITTOS!!

Absolutely Nasty!! These new 5 liters continue to impress me to no end. Car is a 2011 Mustang 5.0 with 3900 miles on it and a 6 speed manual, our Sport package Mustang.
It has Steeda Cold air kit, Steeda mail order tune and Nitto 17” NT05R’s, thats it! Car has 3.73 gears and our lowering springs so I disconnected the front swaybar to help with the weight transfer. No skinnys, no removal of weight, stock exhaust and mufflers. No smoke and mirrors!

In Car of the 11.96
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_KchtLkZd0

Mounted to the hood, listen to it sing to 7600!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieM8ysiifzI

Backed it up with a 12.04 and 12.03 both spinning. LOVE this car!!

Old 9/7/10, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

WOW that is moving..nice shifting as well slick
Old 9/7/10, 03:26 PM
GT Member

WOW!!! Thats simply amazing. Nice driving. What RPM are you leaving at?
Old 9/7/10, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow those are hard shifts. Dont you think you're gunna F the tranny and/or clutch doing that?
Old 9/7/10, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

very nice. You may have another tenth in there if you can lose the bog at the launch.

I've yet to take my 5.0 into the redline since it only has a couple hundred miles, but does the gauge switch color like that when you are into redline or can you set it to switch at a predetermined rpms? I know, I know RTFM, LOL
Old 9/7/10, 04:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Long Stroke
I disconnected the front swaybar to help with the weight transfer.
Why would disconnecting the sway bar help with weight transfer? It only comes into play left or right, not front to back...
Old 9/7/10, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
very nice. You may have another tenth in there if you can lose the bog at the launch.

I've yet to take my 5.0 into the redline since it only has a couple hundred miles, but does the gauge switch color like that when you are into redline or can you set it to switch at a predetermined rpms? I know, I know RTFM, LOL
I think that's something Steeda did with the tune, I know the stock car doesn't do that. I've been interested in figuring that out, as well.
Old 9/7/10, 04:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Modshack
Why would disconnecting the sway bar help with weight transfer? It only comes into play left or right, not front to back...
Actually the front swaybar will only let the front rise so much before it limits it... taking off the front swaybar helps the back get down more and the front rise more helping weight transfer to the rear wheels.
Old 9/7/10, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice runs, great car, incredible engine..........
Old 9/7/10, 05:19 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InsidiousGT
Wow those are hard shifts. Dont you think you're gunna F the tranny and/or clutch doing that?
Didn't seem to me that the shifts were all that hard.

You have to push to get the most out of it...
Old 9/7/10, 06:17 PM

Nice runs! I'm starting to wonder if 3.73's were the better gear to get. Motor sings the RPMS!
Old 9/7/10, 06:50 PM
GT Member

Yes when you hit redline it lights up red and I don't think you can change when it lights up. I have seen a red tachometer many times.

OP, is that on a race gas tune?
Old 9/7/10, 07:21 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by cgjarvis
Nice runs! I'm starting to wonder if 3.73's were the better gear to get. Motor sings the RPMS!
Plus he had the real short 17" drag radials on it, makes it more like it had 4.10's or 4.30's in it.
Old 9/7/10, 07:50 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm kind of pi$$ed that 4th-gen Camaro/Firebird didn't come back into view.
Old 9/7/10, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I'm kind of pi$$ed that 4th-gen Camaro/Firebird didn't come back into view.
It did, near the very end you see the 5.0 reel it in.
But keep in mind that car red lit and jumped out front, then coming from behind the 5.0 pretty much had to play catch up and kept the same distance away (it was hid in the A pillar). But in the last 200 feet or so you see the 5.0 reeling it in FAST.
Had the Firebird not red lit he'd of lost and the Firebird's trap speed was probably in the 110-111 mph range...it was clearly modded and got out of the hole great, but it didn't have much top end.
It's hard to play catch up. The Firebird was up to speed much sooner since it jumped and it takes quite a bit of time and more power to catch a car that's out in front and traveling faster than you from the get go.
It actually speaks volumes about the power the 5.0 had that the Firebird jumped and got buried behind the A pillar, and the 5.0 kept it there immediately. That means it stopped it's pull from the jump VERY QUICKLY and then started to reel it in very soon thereafter.
Plus the 5.0 could of done better yet on the launch, you see him bog it a bit.
I think his car is capable of 1.6x 60 foot times and probably high 11.8's as it is with a perfect launch.
With a bit better launch and the Firebird not red lighting, it would be close for the first 300 feet and then the 5.0 would probably pull 3-4 CL's by the 1/4 stripe.
Old 9/7/10, 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FivePointO
Yes when you hit redline it lights up red and I don't think you can change when it lights up. I have seen a red tachometer many times.

OP, is that on a race gas tune?
So that's a stock option?
Again, I haven't redlined the car yet (close but want a couple hundred more miles on first).
Old 9/7/10, 09:39 PM
GT Member

So that's a stock option?
Again, I haven't redlined the car yet (close but want a couple hundred more miles on first).
Standard on premium pkg cars.
Old 9/7/10, 09:42 PM
GTR Member

But keep in mind that car red lit and jumped out front
Plus the Mustang gave up quite a bit on his slow reaction time.
Old 9/7/10, 10:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Does your car have a Tri-Ax too?
Old 9/8/10, 05:31 AM
V6 Member

Thanks everyone!!

Launching was at around 5000, held it to about 4500rpms then slipped it up to 5200. I know it seems like a bog, but without a slick or better gearing I'm not sure it will hold the front up much longer. Tried launching hard but it just promoted tire spin.

Disconnecting the swaybar is one of the old tricks at the strip. You engine will torque your car over to the passenger side. By disconnecting it you will allow the drivers side to rise with engine torque and as you launch it will help the front come up easier and get the weight to the back of the car for traction.

The Firebird left way early -.164 and I was way late. He trapped at 109. I was more concerned with the launch then trying to beat him.

Yes it does have the proto-type shifter in it. Should only be about a week out too.

Lastly its Steeda's "ours" pump gas mail order tune. No race gas or nothing. You call and order a kit and tune, this is the tune you will be getting. I just bumped the rev limiter up to 7600 so I could keep it in 4th without having to shift into 5th.

Thanks again for all the kind words! These cars really rip and Ford did a fantastic job with the 5 liter.

Just trying to give everyone Real world numbers for what our package is capable of.

Scott

Quick Reply: 11's in the new 5 liter with ONLY CAI, TUNE and NITTOS!!