Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Ford Exploring Factory GTE Program, Prototype Options

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/14, 02:06 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Ford Exploring Factory GTE Program, Prototype Options

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...otype-options/

On the heels of a ramped up prototype program in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship this year, Ford is poised to expand its sports car racing efforts to new heights, which includes a targeted return to the famed 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Multiple industry sources have confirmed to Sportscar365 that the Detroit automaker is evaluating a factory GT program that will see Ford take on the likes Chevrolet, Dodge, Porsche and BMW with an ACO GTE-spec car built around the new-for-2016 regulations.

Considerations are also ongoing for a LMP2 engine supply program utilizing its EcoBoost powerplant currently used in TUDOR Championship DP cars.

It’s believed the GTE project is centered around the latest incarnation of the Ford GT production car, which could launch for the 2016 model year and coincide with the 50th anniversary of Ford’s first overall win at Le Mans.
WHAT?!?

A proposal for a Ford Mustang GTE car, built and developed by Multimatic, was shot down by top-level executives last year but talks have continued for the blue oval to have a significant presence in the production-based class with the yet-to-be-announced model.

It’s unclear what affect, if any, Ford’s potential programs would have on its current factory-backed DP operation in the TUDOR Championship with partner teams Chip Ganassi Racing and Michael Shank Racing, which began this year.
This is the first I've heard of a separate production, non Mustang based, model.

. . . weird . . .
Old 7/14/14, 03:46 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Ford keeps teasing these programs.

They're giving me blue oval *****!
Old 7/23/14, 11:46 AM
TMS Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang to Le Mans? No. GT40? Yes!

Earlier last week, Road & Track tried to goat Ford into coming back to Le Mans with its newest Ford Mustang. Alex Nunez put up a very passionate and logical argument for the Blue Oval to return with a GT contender. I've even covered the rumor that Ford may return to compete in the Prototype class with one of its IMSA DP cars, but here's the thing: I'd rather the Mustang not return. What I want Ford to do is bring back the GT40 for another go.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage.