Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

F1 2014

Old 7/8/14, 10:31 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
That restart at Silverstone was bogus. Why bother with a safety car if they're not going to keep them paced properly? Where were the Stewards??
In the end it didn't matter but if Nico wouldn't have gone out that gap should not have been allowed.
Totally agree. I don't think the standing starts are the right answer* but that's ridiculous. Leader was out to a 3 second lead before the green came out!

*The standing start restarts are a terrible idea. Cautions breed cautions, and if there's one at the end of a race, all hell is going to break loose with guys trying to get another position or two. Plus I worry about the cars overheating. It's bad enough when they try to line up at the start of the race, but once the cars are up to temps having to sit there will be a problem.
Old 7/8/14, 11:16 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
Totally agree. I don't think the standing starts are the right answer* but that's ridiculous. Leader was out to a 3 second lead before the green came out!

*The standing start restarts are a terrible idea. Cautions breed cautions, and if there's one at the end of a race, all hell is going to break loose with guys trying to get another position or two. Plus I worry about the cars overheating. It's bad enough when they try to line up at the start of the race, but once the cars are up to temps having to sit there will be a problem.
Yeah a standing start at the beginning is bad enough whether its F1, motocross, or whatever, so many good rides get taken out in the first few seconds. I understand that's how you have to start a race, but to have multiple standing starts is stoopid.
And yes - the overheating with these el crapo buzz boxes is another factor.

(At least GP2 still run V8's. )

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/8/14 at 11:28 PM.
Old 7/27/14, 10:52 PM
Post *****

Wow - Hamilton is an amazing driver! 2 weeks in a row from the back of the field to the podium. That's unreal!
Old 7/28/14, 12:04 AM
NTTAWWT

Today especially. Starts from the pitlane, spins on the first lap, damages a wing, cuts through the field, and maintains a podium finish on tires that were beyond gone!

Glad to see Ricciardo win (even if we still really don't know how to pronounce it), his enthusiasm is great! Rosberg was crying like Vettel because Hammy didn't let him by on the last lap. That guy is starting to get on my nerves. He's been pretty lucky all year and is mad about it.
Old 7/28/14, 06:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Today especially. Starts from the pitlane, spins on the first lap, damages a wing, cuts through the field, and maintains a podium finish on tires that were beyond gone!

Glad to see Ricciardo win (even if we still really don't know how to pronounce it), his enthusiasm is great! Rosberg was crying like Vettel because Hammy didn't let him by on the last lap. That guy is starting to get on my nerves. He's been pretty lucky all year and is mad about it.
Yeah I didn't understand the "why won't he let me pass" thing. Rosberg was almost a second behind Hamilton and couldn't close the gap. If he was all over his rear wing and running much faster lap times that's one thing, but he probably would have held up Hamilton. And on top of that, the team instructed Hamilton to let him by assuming that they wouldn't be racing each other at the end. Turns out they were.

It was good to see Ricciardo win, he's just a goofy likeable guy that hasn't caught the F1 ego-maniac syndrome yet.
Old 7/28/14, 10:56 AM
NTTAWWT

Rosberg caught him and had a shot at passing him, but Hammy didn't give him any space and he ran wide on the last lap, but he doesn't know Hamilton at all if he thinks he would just let him go by.
Old 7/28/14, 10:58 AM
Post *****

Rosberg caught him and had a shot at passing him, but Hammy didn't give him any space and he ran wide on the last lap, but he doesn't know Hamilton at all if he thinks he would just let him go by.
Right. Every driver is allowed to defend. Several drivers defended that way on that curve.

But earlier in the race when Rosberg was whining was laughable because he wasn't anywhere near close enough to pass Hamilton.

To me, last weeks German race, the track seemed boring. This track made a great race.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/28/14 at 11:00 AM.
Old 7/28/14, 10:00 PM
Post *****

Sunday's F1 race now on NBCSp in case you missed it.
Old 7/30/14, 04:54 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
There have been some darn good races this year . . . and ugly noses will be gone for 2015. Some teams may have new noses by Spa in August. Thank goodness. No such luck for the V6s . . . I wish F1 would have went back to turbo I4s . . . at least the last time around there were some screamers with 1000+HP! I've tried to like the newer V6s, but da**, Indy turbo 6'ers sound better, IMO.
Old 7/30/14, 07:10 PM
NTTAWWT

These sixes would sound find if the teams were allowed to turn up the wick. However because of the fuel limitations, the revs are down to 11k instead of the 16-17k they could probably reach.
Old 8/1/14, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Right. Every driver is allowed to defend. Several drivers defended that way on that curve.

But earlier in the race when Rosberg was whining was laughable because he wasn't anywhere near close enough to pass Hamilton.

To me, last weeks German race, the track seemed boring. This track made a great race.
Strange because Hungary is usually one of the most boring races on the calendar. The way the track is laid out makes passing even more difficult than usual.
Old 8/25/14, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like people are not so pleased with Rosberg:
http://jalopnik.com/nico-rosberg-sma...yon-1626169326

This was a bad move on Rosberg's part. I'm not 100% that it was intentional, but definitely Rosberg showed zero restraint when racing wheel to wheel with his teammate. He surely lost a lot of fans over this one.
Old 8/25/14, 06:37 PM
NTTAWWT

It was a stupid move, and that's all there is to it. A move like that isn't warranted on anyone, much less a teammate, and that early in the race. It just as easily could have broken suspension parts on Rosberg's car. He should have backed off and tried again in another corner.

The thing that sucks is that he ultimately had no issues from it, while Hamilton got screwed. Every bad break Hamilton has from here on out only helps Rosberg. I get that a lot of people don't like Hamilton so they approve the move, but if it's any other pair of drivers, they go off on driver #2
Old 8/26/14, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rosberg just proves again and again that he has very poor racecraft. He can't get around people with a significantly slower car while last race Hamilton went from dead last to third.

The contact this weekend was completely unwarranted. He could have easily backed out, and he would have had the rest of the race to get to the front. He has plenty of experience, and frankly should not be making such rookie mistakes at this point in his career. If not for a string of bad luck this championship wouldn't be so artificially interesting, because Hamilton would have had a landslide of points over Rosberg.

Good seeing 'Nando on the podium in Hungary. Sad to see him do so poorly in Spa, but good on Rai to finally finish well.
Old 9/7/14, 01:50 PM
NTTAWWT

Todays race was fantastic. Lots and lots of passing action, good racing. Too bad the results weren't better for the Tifosi though.
Old 9/7/14, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Todays race was fantastic. Lots and lots of passing action, good racing. Too bad the results weren't better for the Tifosi though.
Ricciardo was an animal, definitely becoming a fan.
Old 9/8/14, 01:54 PM
NTTAWWT

For sure. He was awesome coming down the stretch.
Old 9/10/14, 03:53 AM
Post *****

Heads are rollin...

Ferrari chairman to resign

By Manuela Mesco
Published: Sept 10, 2014

MILAN — Fiat SpA said Ferrari chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo will resign, only days after Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne said the luxury car brand’s Formula One race results were unacceptable.

Marchionne will take over from Montezemolo, whose departure is effective from Oct. 13.

Speaking at a business meeting in Italy last weekend, Marchionne praised Montezemolo for having achieved excellent business results but said he was “sad” that Ferrari hasn’t won any titles since 2008. He that nobody occupying positions of power at the company was indispensable.

“Luca and I have discussed the future of Ferrari at length,” said Marchionne in a statement on Wednesday, “and our mutual desire to see Ferrari achieve its true potential on the track has led to misunderstandings which became clearly visible over the last weekend.”

Montezemolo said in a separate statement that Ferrari will play an important role in the listing of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Group in Wall Street and this new phase “should be spearheaded by the CEO of the group,” said Montezemolo.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fer...link=MW_Nav_NV
Old 9/10/14, 04:27 AM
Post *****

This is bigger than F1 . . . and could be the downfall (or at least the generalization) of Ferrari . . .
Old 9/10/14, 04:50 AM
Post *****

And this is what I was referencing above . . .

Bloomberg is now reporting that Montezemolo, who has led Ferrari for more than 20 years, may in fact be out. Marchionne wants to get his hands on Ferrari, which is 90 percent-owned by Fiat, so he can expand production and make more money. Montezemolo, who took charge of Ferrari in 1991, wants to maintain Ferrari's autonomy and limit sales to about 7,000 cars a year to preserve the brand's exclusivity. Montezemolo's disdain for Marchionne has now come to the surface. "Ferrari is now American," which represents "the end of an era," Montezemolo told close associates, Il Corriere della Sera reported today. So the mercenary deal maker, who has no respect for the integrity of the product or the brand exclusivity of Ferrari, wants to expand production to make more money so he'll look like even more of a genius, at least in his own mind. In other words, Marchionne is fulfilling his mission as the consummate stronzo. I've seen this movie before at other car companies, and it never ends well. - PMD UPDATE: As feared, it was announced today (September 10th) that Luca Cordero di Montezemelo will step down from his role as chairman of Ferrari effective October 13th. He will be replaced by FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne. Not Good doesn't even begin to cover it. - PMD
http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/ (ON THE TABLE - SEPTEMBER 10, 2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F1 2014