Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Auto-dimming Rear-view Mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/11, 05:51 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Auto-dimming Rear-view Mirror Question

I have a 2011 Shelby GT500. I don't think that my auto-dimming rear-view mirror is working. Should there be a power light of some sort lit up on it when it is working or not?
Old 2/11/11, 05:36 PM
GT Member

No there is no power light on the 2011 I asked the same question awhile back! They don't work that great!
Old 2/11/11, 07:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The auto-dimming feature works fantastic on my wife's 2011 V6 MCA. Luv it!
Old 2/11/11, 08:14 PM
GT Member

I tested mine by shinning a light at the sensors and then covering them up. You should see the mirror lighten up when you shield the sensor from any light...it is hard to notice it dim though. Try that and let us know if you see anything happen.
Old 2/12/11, 05:03 AM
GT Member

I have been blinded by lights at night to the point I've asked myself is the mirror working! Which probably why the OP posted this topic. I've had other vehicles with auto dimming mirrors before and without question the mirror in my 2011 pales in comparison!
Old 2/12/11, 07:11 AM
GTR Member

When it dims, you'll notice the lights in the mirror start to turn blue. It's very noticeable on mine.
Old 2/12/11, 07:15 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
When it dims, you'll notice the lights in the mirror start to turn blue. It's very noticeable on mine.
+1 on the blue color. Mine works good at night but it doesn't work too good in the daytime when someone is on my rear with brights on
Old 3/18/11, 08:45 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for all the advice! I think it's working now...I am noticing the bluish lights coming from cars behind me at night.
Old 3/18/11, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by camposl69
I have a 2011 Shelby GT500. I don't think that my auto-dimming rear-view mirror is working. Should there be a power light of some sort lit up on it when it is working or not?
My question to you is why don't you have the back window tinted yet?
Old 3/26/11, 10:58 AM
V6 Member

All my windows are tinted already (20%), even the windshield (35%).
Old 3/26/11, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by camposl69
All my windows are tinted already (20%), even the windshield (35%).
That might explain the rear view mirror. Can you explain that front plate?

?
Old 4/2/11, 08:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
That might explain the rear view mirror. Can you explain that front plate?

?
The plate is required here in Korea. I had it off on my previous GT but too many cops were giving me a hard time about it plus I heard that I could be fined a lot of money for not having it on. It's on there with a custom bracket attached to the lower grill, not touching the bumper. I got it from Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets online.
Old 4/2/11, 08:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
+1 on the blue color. Mine works good at night but it doesn't work too good in the daytime when someone is on my rear with brights on
It's not going to work in the daytime because there is a sensor on the back side of the mirror that detects daylight which disables dimming during the day.
Old 4/28/11, 09:38 PM
V6 Member

I have one question about this mirror. Is it possible to swap it with another autodimming mirror, but one which have the Homelink button on ? It seems that the mirror in our Shelby's have the compass integrated in, and the reading of the compass is on the radio headunit. I disconnect my mirror and I lost the compass reading on the radio....

Anyone has done it ?
Old 4/29/11, 04:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Originally Posted by David Young
+2. You know it's on when it tints the lights in the mirror bluish green

A guy tried to ride my bumper the other day because apparently no one in the world is allowed to get in front of him (honda accord too ). He gave me the ole tailgate and high-beam technique. Soon as his highs came on the mirror dimmed him. I had a giant smirk on my face and thought to myself "owned". lol
Old 5/2/11, 10:25 AM
V6 Member

By the way, I own 2 autodimming mirror made by Gentex, and No, the back connection is not the same as the one in my 2011 Shelby. Also I'm 100% sure that our OEM mirror, has the compass sensor (without display) built into,....
Old 11/22/11, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

The mirror works so poorly that the car is difficult to drive on the highway at night, especially when it's raining. Yes, it occasionally gets a greenish tint, but more light gets into my eyes than with any mirror of any car I've ever driven in my life (obviously all in nighttime mode.) It's weird because they have put a lot of thought into this car - I'm surprised that this one little detail misses the mark by so much. I wish there was a setting to make it darken more.
Old 11/22/11, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mustang_Man
The mirror works so poorly that the car is difficult to drive on the highway at night, especially when it's raining. Yes, it occasionally gets a greenish tint, but more light gets into my eyes that with any mirror of any car I've ever driven in my life (obviously all in nighttime mode.) It's weird because they have put a lot of thought into this car - I'm surprised that this one little detail misses the mark by so much. I wish there was a setting to make it darken more.
That is very weird. I haven't noticed anything like that. Do you think you might be hyper sensitive? Do you have tint on the windows?

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 11/22/11 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11/22/11, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
That is very weird. I haven't noticed anything like that. Do you think you might be hyper sensitive? Do you have tint on the windows?
No tint. I may be more sensitive to light - not sure. It was worse when I first got it and the windshield still had an oily film on it and it was raining. I nearly had to pull off the highway as I was seriously straining to see the road. More recently as I was driving with a car behind me (headlights appear white most of the time, rarely do I see a greenish tint) and put my hand up there to block the light - viola! I could suddenly see the road perfectly with the appropriate contrast. It was then that I realized that the auto-dim just doesn't work that well. Now when I think about it, I remember driving my GFs 2011 V6 'Stang and I having the same problem with excessive light from the mirror. I wish I could turn the gain up on the autodim - lol.
Old 11/22/11, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mustang_Man

No tint. I may be more sensitive to light - not sure. It was worse when I first got it and the windshield still had an oily film on it and it was raining. I nearly had to pull off the highway as I was seriously straining to see the road. More recently as I was driving with a car behind me (headlights appear white most of the time, rarely do I see a greenish tint) and put my hand up there to block the light - viola! I could suddenly see the road perfectly with the appropriate contrast. It was then that I realized that the auto-dim just doesn't work that well. Now when I think about it, I remember driving my GFs 2011 V6 'Stang and I having the same problem with excessive light from the mirror. I wish I could turn the gain up on the autodim - lol.
Why no tint? Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Auto-dimming Rear-view Mirror Question