Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

1st to 2nd gear grinding - who has it?

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/11, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st to 2nd gear grinding - who has it?

So, I've been dealing with this since I first got my Shelby over a year ago. At first I thought it was me doing something wrong in that my '06 GT was just over half the power. Then after some semi-pro racing buddies had the problem, i thought shifter or god forbid the trans again (had to rebuild the '06 for bad internals also).

Doing some surfing on other Mustang sites lead me to some threads on allfordmustangs about this VERY issue.

You know it... Run 1st up over 4 grand and speed/quick/race shift... What ever you call it - In short, begin pulling the stick out of first and towards second as you push the clutch pedal to the floor. While this works great in 2-3 and 3-4.. NOT in 1-2. You grind and it rejects the gear... THIS IS ON THE SHELBY WITH THE TREMEC, NOT THE MT-82 ISSUE.

Yes it's possible to make the shift by putting the clutch to the floor before starting the shift, but that is a slower shift.

I'm happy to say that I should be getting my car back from the dealer tomorrow after a full trans rebuild. Parts list includes new gears, new shift fork, new syncros and other parts.. Will provide a full list when I have it.

I need to thank Deysha (AKA FordCustomerService) for helping me out. Deysha is here now as well, but saw my post on AFM and got my info to the customer service manager for my area - Cynthia. Ford was on board, acknowledging my issue before I stepped into the dealership. When I told the dealer I was working with Cynthia, they were happy and willing ot do what they could. The fact they wouldnt have to convince ford it was a warranty job, I believe, made it easier on them.
There was talk on the thread that this may turn into a TSB in the future. I can't validate that, but the point of this is to let anyone here know that if they have the problem, we have "friends" at FoMoCo here on the site that can and will help!
Old 8/17/11, 02:40 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I have no issues, it's a year old with 3600 miles though and I have yet to grind a gear. This is my favorite tranny-shifter-clutch combo from a long list of Mustangs I've had.
Old 8/17/11, 02:41 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WarpdSpazm
I need to thank Deysha (AKA FordCustomerService) for helping me out. Deysha is here now as well, but saw my post on AFM and got my info to the customer service manager for my area - Cynthia. Ford was on board, acknowledging my issue before I stepped into the dealership. When I told the dealer I was working with Cynthia, they were happy and willing ot do what they could. The fact they wouldnt have to convince ford it was a warranty job, I believe, made it easier on them.
Awwwwe!! Thank you, WarpdSpazm!!!This means a lot to me!!

Deysha
Old 8/17/11, 06:45 PM

I did and got it fixed. Do a search- lots of threads on this on every GT500 forum....

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...2nd-ideas.html

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7347

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...290-1-2-shift/
Old 8/17/11, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, I've been dealing with this since I first got my Shelby over a year ago. At first I thought it was me doing something wrong in that my '06 GT was just over half the power. Then after some semi-pro racing buddies had the problem, i thought shifter or god forbid the trans again (had to rebuild the '06 for bad internals also).

Doing some surfing on other Mustang sites lead me to some threads on allfordmustangs about this VERY issue.

You know it... Run 1st up over 4 grand and speed/quick/race shift... What ever you call it - In short, begin pulling the stick out of first and towards second as you push the clutch pedal to the floor. While this works great in 2-3 and 3-4.. NOT in 1-2. You grind and it rejects the gear... THIS IS ON THE SHELBY WITH THE TREMEC, NOT THE MT-82 ISSUE.

Yes it's possible to make the shift by putting the clutch to the floor before starting the shift, but that is a slower shift.

I'm happy to say that I should be getting my car back from the dealer tomorrow after a full trans rebuild. Parts list includes new gears, new shift fork, new syncros and other parts.. Will provide a full list when I have it.

There was talk on the thread that this may turn into a TSB in the future. I can't validate that, but the point of this is to let anyone here know that if they have the problem, we have "friends" at FoMoCo here on the site that can and will help!
I did grind a couple times with a speed shift 1 to 2, but I blame the spongy stock short throw. The grinds came when I shifted to second and the spongy shifter felt like it was in, but it wasn't and I would release the clutch thinking it was in "grind" I installed an MGW, issue no more.
Old 8/17/11, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Deysha
As a long time Ford customer and TMS member it's great to have a Ford rep roaming these boards looking out for its customers and backing its products.

BTW, I ordered a GT500 on May 16th and have an ETA but do not have either the production date or vin number. Would getting those two items be within the scope of assistance you offer? My dealer might have the information but if I call one more time I fear my deposit might be returned.

I would provide the particular info if you can by way of a Private Message, if it is not possible it is no big deal. Thanks.
Old 8/17/11, 08:11 PM
GT Member

I had the issue quite a bit for a while when I had less than 1k miles...I asked the dealer about it and they acted like they never heard of such a thing and couldn't do anything... I drove the car like a grandma for about 3k miles and have just started getting on it again this summer and haven't had any more occurrences. The transmission has changed its feel in my opinion over the 5k miles. There for a while it wasnt even speed shifts for me...even slow low rpm ones. I'm happy with it now...I've gotten some really clean fast shifts recently. Though It is hard to think you spent so much money on something and have to put up with issues, but I'm in the industry so I try to let things play out first.
Old 8/18/11, 07:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

I had the issue on my 2010 GT500 and have it on my 2011 GT500. After all the crap that I had trying to get my clutch fixed on the 2010 I've been scared to try and address this. If Deysha and Ford CS can really help me this time I'd like to try and get it fixed so the car is more enjoyable.

Was the dealer easy on the underside of your car? They were rough on my 2010 taking the trans out.

Last edited by bpmurr; 8/18/11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 8/18/11, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

BP, I won't know until I get mine back... Spoke to the service advisor this morning and they needed to order another gear, so might be done by the weekend, depending on when the gear gets delivered...

I was holding off also due to a crap time when my 2006 GT trans went south with 9,000 miles on it and the dealers left me high and dry to eat the 3,000 bill.

Deysha and the CSM that covers my area, Cynthia, have made this really simple when I walked into the dealership. We went for a test drive... The mechanic got the grind one time, looked at me and said.. Yeah, that's no good.. Gonna have to take that out and see what's wrong.. They never questioned my driving skill or anything like that.. I really think that the fact I told them I was working with FCS and Cynthia (who they know well), the dealer was at ease in not having to try and prove warranty coverage to Ford.

I never thought about damage caused by repair... I'm going to stay positive on this one! Until I get underneath and have reason to get angry.
Old 8/18/11, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zimm17
Hey Zimm,
I found the issue by traveling to other sites.. As I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, I wanted to make it known to anyone that doesn't hit up other forums. Lots of us tend to stick to one site only. Thanks for laying out the links!
Old 8/18/11, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I did grind a couple times with a speed shift 1 to 2, but I blame the spongy stock short throw. The grinds came when I shifted to second and the spongy shifter felt like it was in, but it wasn't and I would release the clutch thinking it was in "grind" I installed an MGW, issue no more.
It might be part to blame on the stock shifter, but I already have a laundry list of parts on order including 1st and 2nd gears, synchros, shift forks and more parts that I can't remember... SO I dont think switching to MGW alone will fix all that now.

MGW is on my wish list once I get the car back and she's trouble free.
Old 8/18/11, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Deysha
Anytime! It's so easy for people to vocalize frustration, that it's important to make good stuff heard to!

This of course will mean more members will turn to you for help!
Old 8/18/11, 01:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

BP, I won't know until I get mine back... Spoke to the service advisor this morning and they needed to order another gear, so might be done by the weekend, depending on when the gear gets delivered...

I was holding off also due to a crap time when my 2006 GT trans went south with 9,000 miles on it and the dealers left me high and dry to eat the 3,000 bill.

Deysha and the CSM that covers my area, Cynthia, have made this really simple when I walked into the dealership. We went for a test drive... The mechanic got the grind one time, looked at me and said.. Yeah, that's no good.. Gonna have to take that out and see what's wrong.. They never questioned my driving skill or anything like that.. I really think that the fact I told them I was working with FCS and Cynthia (who they know well), the dealer was at ease in not having to try and prove warranty coverage to Ford.

I never thought about damage caused by repair... I'm going to stay positive on this one! Until I get underneath and have reason to get angry.
Most likely they beat up the heat shields at the very least. They should have Ford replace those as well since a Shelby is the type of car people care about the underside too.

Since you haven't got the car back I'm interested to see if it's really fixed or if they just threw parts at it.

Last edited by bpmurr; 8/18/11 at 01:22 PM.
Old 8/18/11, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
Most likely they beat up the heat shields at the very least. They should have Ford replace those as well since a Shelby is the type of car people care about the underside too.

Since you haven't got the car back I'm interested to see if it's really fixed or if they just threw parts at it.
I will let you know when I get back to her and go on the shake down run with the mechanic... I do plan on asking to see the "bad" parts and uderstand what wasn't working and how what they did fixed it. But when I drive, If I grind, they are keeping the car. I had enough track time in my old mustang (Shelby hasn't been to anyting yet) to know that I can shift a car without grinding or missing a gear.

Again, I am going to be positive until I have reason not to be. I too, like you was treated like cr4p with my previous mustang. For me, that was 4 years ago and at another dealership. I'm going to start new this time. As of right now, they have done right by me from Deysha, to Cynthia to the dealer. Initial talk when I dropped it off was 3 weeks. We haven't hit 2 yet.
Old 8/24/11, 09:14 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
As a long time Ford customer and TMS member it's great to have a Ford rep roaming these boards looking out for its customers and backing its products.
BTW, I ordered a GT500 on May 16th and have an ETA but do not have either the production date or vin number.
Thanks, 1 COBRA!! Please PM me with your dealer name and order number and I can help.
Originally Posted by bpmurr
If Deysha and Ford CS can really help me this time I'd like to try and get it fixed so the car is more enjoyable.
bpmurr, I sure can help you! Please, private message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can help.
Deysha and the CSM that covers my area, Cynthia, have made this really simple when I walked into the dealership. I really think that the fact I told them I was working with FCS and Cynthia (who they know well), the dealer was at ease in not having to try and prove warranty coverage to Ford.
Anytime! It's so easy for people to vocalize frustration, that it's important to make good stuff heard to!
This of course will mean more members will turn to you for help!
As of right now, they have done right by me from Deysha, to Cynthia to the dealer.
Thank you tons, WarpdSpazm! I want our members to turn to me for help, that's what I'm here for. This is why I love this forum! You all are awesome!

Deysha
Old 8/24/11, 11:35 AM

Thanks, 1 COBRA!! Please PM me with your dealer name and order number and I can help.
I received a call from the dealer with the information a few days back.

Thank you.
Old 8/30/11, 10:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

I will let you know when I get back to her and go on the shake down run with the mechanic... I do plan on asking to see the "bad" parts and uderstand what wasn't working and how what they did fixed it. But when I drive, If I grind, they are keeping the car. I had enough track time in my old mustang (Shelby hasn't been to anyting yet) to know that I can shift a car without grinding or missing a gear.

Again, I am going to be positive until I have reason not to be. I too, like you was treated like cr4p with my previous mustang. For me, that was 4 years ago and at another dealership. I'm going to start new this time. As of right now, they have done right by me from Deysha, to Cynthia to the dealer. Initial talk when I dropped it off was 3 weeks. We haven't hit 2 yet.

Get your car back yet? I'm interested to see if you can shift into second with no issue now.
Old 9/2/11, 11:41 AM

Me too, please let us know asap. I don't often have the 1-2 shift problem, only three times since I've owned it (6100 miles). However, I ALWAYS ALWAYS have a grinding/clunking issue going into reverse. In order for me to go into reverse safely, I have to come to a complete stop, wait a couple seconds, shift to neutral, wait, wiggle three or four times, wait, and ease it into reverse, slowly, and sometimes it doesn't go. Most of the time it bounces out, grinds, or clunks hard, real hard. Mostly grinds. It's embarrassing. I rarely drive it and almost never driver her hard. She's a garage queen for the most part. I wish I knew more owners who were having the same issue. I'm claying her this weekend to get ready for winter. Maybe you can help Deysha?
Old 9/14/11, 10:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Any update??? Guessing it's not fixed.
Old 9/16/11, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys, sorry for the delay.. Was trying to get everything final before posting. I picked the car up on the 3rd

On the transmission... I *think* it's fixed... The grind before they did the work was like hitting a hard wall. Screamed "something's broke in here" if that makes any sense... I was NEVER able to make the 1-2 in high revs. Now, I can do it, but I have still grinded. It feels more like when I'd grind in my old GT - I did something off, like not get the clutch down enough, etc... So it's better... I am thinking it's time for an MGW.

On the car itself. ARGH... You were right BP... I didn't even have to go under the car... There were two dings - one on each rear quarter panel! My driver's seat power lift no longer worked, and there is significan marring in my passenger seat. I took the car back for them to look at. My advisor accepted all four items and we scheduled me to give them the car when I picked up my STA (I dropped the Adrenalin off when I picked up the Shelby). SO I swapped the cars out this past week. Spoke to the advisor today, He said they're working on the car now... He then passed me to the Asst. Mgr, whom I've known for a while... He said they are fixing the seat and the dings (though he said he doesn't believe they did that) but he won't fix the passenger seat leather...
I let the call end and proceeded to call Cynthia. Unfortunately, she said she can't "MAKE" them fix the seat - which would need to have at the very least the bottom leather replaced. I will talk to them about it again... There's marring on both pieces, but the bottom is worse than the back. Maybe I can get them to meet me half way and fix one part... F(*&ing BullS(*t

Quick Reply: 1st to 2nd gear grinding - who has it?