Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Vibration While Coming To Stop + Whub whub noise while driving

Old 5/12/08, 08:52 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration While Coming To Stop + Whub whub noise while driving

Hi all,

I was hoping for a bit of help on this one.

First some background,

I have a 2005 Mustang GT with BFG KDW 255 R18 tires on all four. The car has 90,000km (56,000miles) on her and probably 45,000km (28,000miles) on the tires.

My problem is this:

When coming close to a full stop I feel a vibration which varies with wheel speed. In addition, when on the highway i have a whub whub whub noise which definately varies with wheel speed (you can hear the tires whurring).

I have had the tires re-balanced. The rotors were machined a few months back and brakes replaced.

I did not notice the vibration when the winters were on.

I figured the problem may be one of a few things:
1. Tire wear - large tread/uneven wear could cause it?? Under braking you feel it more because the vibration is transferred through the physical brake contact.

2. Rim warped? But I would think this would be more pronounced? I did hit a pothole a while back pretty good.

3. Alignment required? Could this cause the above symptoms?

4. Warped rotor? But this would have happened in the winter.

5. Exhaust touch rear end? I have shut the engine off and braked...still there so this seems unlikely.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Ford says its the tires and they had a glance at the brakes and all looks well.

One final thing....the rear drivers-side rim tends to build up more breakdust than the others (only a bit more but it's noticeable).

If there are things I could do to check and rule-out some of these causes it would be great.

Thanks for the help as this is a bit frustrating since the car is running great otherwise.
Old 5/12/08, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

did the noise and vibration start before or after having the rotors machined?

did you have all the rotors machined?

is the noise coming from the front or the back?

My immdiate thought was a warped rotor, if it started after you had them machined then they may have cut to much off and the heat warped em.
Old 5/13/08, 09:56 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Actually, the vibration was there last summer prior to the rotors being machined.

Then the vibration disappeared when I put my winters on and now its back with the summers again.

<stumped>

Originally Posted by MustangRetribution
did the noise and vibration start before or after having the rotors machined?

did you have all the rotors machined?

is the noise coming from the front or the back?

My immdiate thought was a warped rotor, if it started after you had them machined then they may have cut to much off and the heat warped em.
Old 5/13/08, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

thats weird bro last time i heard a noise was from my sisters engine in her gmc going boom
Old 5/14/08, 05:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

If you feel the vibration in the steering wheel most likely the front if you feel the vibration in the back of the drive seat itis most likely in the rear,If you here tire noise check for cupping in the tires. Also if you rotate the tire see if the vibration move with the rotation if so it's probably in the wheels and tires. If it in the rear check the drive shaft or a worn tranmission mount? Need more INfo for more help.
Old 5/18/08, 09:34 AM

I have this exact same problem. Any extra incite or help from the membership here would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 5/18/08, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

hey dan, if the sound dissappeared when you had your winter tires on then I assume its your tires or your rims(assuming you have diffrent rims for your winters)

If it was any other component in the drive train the sound would not have stopped with the change of tires, at least in theory Ive been known to be wrong before
Old 5/23/08, 11:37 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Thanks for the input so far.

MustangRetribution, I agree with you.

Also, I noticed that all four BFG tires have two lighter bands separated by about three inches right around the tire. The bands are about 1.5 inches wide. They can be rubbed off with your finger.

I was thinking either wear indicator or those strips are touching more than the rest of the tire/less than the rest of the tire and therefore more dust in on those parts?? I"m no tire expert. I should take a pic at when I have the chance. Coincidence?? Probably not especially since I haven't noticed them before.
Old 5/27/08, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MustangRetribution
hey dan, if the sound dissappeared when you had your winter tires on then I assume its your tires or your rims(assuming you have diffrent rims for your winters)

If it was any other component in the drive train the sound would not have stopped with the change of tires, at least in theory Ive been known to be wrong before
+1. It sounds like it has to be your tires (or possibly wheels if you used different ones for winter tires.) Could be one is out of round or a belt separating.