Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Use of Non Ford Oil Filters May Void Powertrain Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/07, 11:27 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,915 Posts
Use of Non Ford Oil Filters May Void Powertrain Warranty

Article #08-A-2007
Engine Damage / Non-Ford Oil Filters - All Model Years, All Vehicles
A review of warranty claims indicates that engine damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters is being claimed under Ford warranty.
The check valves in some non-Ford filters disintegrate causing small rubber debris (frequently red color) to migrate into the engine's oil passages where they restrict flow. This restriction causes components (such as the variable cam timing phaser) to fail, and causes engine knocking / ticking /rattles.
Please reference:
  • SSM #18921 (Published: 11/03/05)
  • SSM #19642 (Published: 03/01/07)
  • TSB #06-19-08
Repair of engine damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters is not covered per Section 3 of the Warranty & Policy Manual.
Category: Powertrain – Engine
Do: Look for bits of rubber (frequently red color) when repairing damaged engines.
Don't: Submit a warranty claim for damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters.
Old 8/9/07, 02:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting! I've always had faith in the Motorcraft Filters, they are good quality and good price.
Old 8/9/07, 03:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every oil change I do is with a Motorcraft filter. I'm not taking chances with the possibility of a denied claim if I ever need to bring the car in for engine repairs. Those service messeges are a good reason to stick with the Motorcraft filter.
Old 8/9/07, 03:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There's no reason downgrading to another brand's filter anyway. The Motorcraft ones are excellent.
Old 8/9/07, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

A Ford tech has mentioned a certain company to me before. I have heard the four letter word that starts with F before, FR_M.
Old 8/9/07, 03:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh there's another thread on filters in GTP&T forum about the same thing. Yes, the frams fall apart.
Old 8/9/07, 03:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was recently a witness to this very thread. I have a friend who has a 5.4 in his F 150 and the filter failed, dealer was good about it in the end but made we switch back to Motor Craft filters as well as oil in the Mustang.
Old 8/10/07, 10:11 PM

Does the owner's manual say anything about a requirement to use Motorcraft filters? They can't get away with warranty denial if it doesn't.
Old 8/11/07, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mbkintner
Does the owner's manual say anything about a requirement to use Motorcraft filters? They can't get away with warranty denial if it doesn't.
No, just that it must meet or exceed the Ford specs. The same for any replacement or service part on the car. It's actually illegal for an auto company to specify only their parts can be used unless they supply those parts free of charge.

Ford production and aftermarket (Motorcraft) oil filters are designed for
added engine protection and long life. If a replacement oil filter is used
that does not meet Ford material and design specifications, start-up
engine noises or knock may be experienced.

It is recommended you use the appropriate Motorcraft oil filter (or
another brand meeting Ford specifications) for your engine application.
If a non-Ford (Mototcraft) filter failed as stated in the first post, any damage claim would have to be filled against the filter manufacturer.
Old 8/11/07, 03:18 PM

Motorcraft. Taxi tested tough, remember?
Old 8/12/07, 12:21 AM
Cobra Member

Well fortunately nobody at a couple of the local dealerships have grumbled about my Ford Racing oil filter. Heck, up until recently one of the dealerships was installing my FRPP oil filters for me.
Old 8/12/07, 08:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Heh there's another thread on filters in GTP&T forum about the same thing. Yes, the frams fall apart.

"You can pay me now, or...er..uh.." (I definitely date myself with that one!!)
Old 8/12/07, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by LBJay
No, just that it must meet or exceed the Ford specs. The same for any replacement or service part on the car. It's actually illegal for an auto company to specify only their parts can be used unless they supply those parts free of charge.

If a non-Ford (Mototcraft) filter failed as stated in the first post, any damage claim would have to be filled against the filter manufacturer.
So then Ford makes their filter specifications available for comparison against other brands, right.
Old 8/13/07, 06:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

The first two years I had the car, I had the dealer change the oil since I wanted them to see my face other then when an issue came up. I know the Service Mgr and Sr Tech and he is the only one I have work on the car. They didn't have any problems with me bring my own oil (Mobil 1) - did use the Ford filter
Old 8/14/07, 06:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Why won't a Ford racing filter be OK...it's a Ford product (made or licensed).
Old 8/14/07, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by htwag
Ford Racing parts are not always considered to be Ford parts; they're considered to be aftermarket.
Old 8/18/07, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

The ford racing filter does NOT filter as well as the Motorcraft. It is designed to maintain oil flow during racing condtions. For street use the Motorcraft is the better filter. Not to mention cheaper.
Old 8/18/07, 06:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mbkintner
Ford publishes the specs and several companies meet them. If you use a filter that does not, damage is on you. Pretty simple.

VW acutally specs an oil for the TDI that cannot be obtained anywhere but the dealer for any cost effective way. The specs are published, no oil producer chooses to produce product and test to the specs. Therefore there is a market of one supplier. The dealer for $10 a quart. Perfectly legal.

Fortunatly for us, the Motorcraft filters are readily available at very cheap prices. Heck, I use Motorcraft filters on my Onan and Chevy mill in our motorhome. (yes they meet the AC Delco and Onan specs).
Old 8/18/07, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jcthorne
The ford racing filter does NOT filter as well as the Motorcraft. It is designed to maintain oil flow during racing condtions. For street use the Motorcraft is the better filter. Not to mention cheaper.
Hmm... according to the information I've read the Ford Racing filter has 20 more filtering media pleats than the Motorcraft along with 25-inches of additional filtering media but it doesn't filter as well as the Motorcraft?
Old 8/23/07, 05:03 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by htwag
I am Sure a Ford Racing Filter Would Exceed Fords Specs! I can tell you this Much it is twice as Heavy. I believe The Shelby Gt Manual Asks That you Use a FRPP filter but that is just what I have heard. I have not verified that.

KC

Quick Reply: Use of Non Ford Oil Filters May Void Powertrain Warranty