Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Trunk trim panel fasteners needed.

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/14, 10:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Trunk trim panel fasteners needed.

Anyone know where I can get two of these without being charged an arm and a leg? Also looking for more replacement trim fasteners for various panels that have lost them over the years.
The following users liked this post:
garyb900 (6/16/16)
Old 4/3/14, 04:55 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
Anyone know where I can get two of these without being charged an arm and a leg? Also looking for more replacement trim fasteners for various panels that have lost them over the years.
I was just looking at Tousley ford and stumbled across those. The bolts were like 40 cents. Check them out.
Old 4/3/14, 05:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's a link to a permanent fix using aluminum that I used ...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...equipment.html
garyb900 (6/16/16)
Old 4/3/14, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT

I was just looking at Tousley ford and stumbled across those. The bolts were like 40 cents. Check them out.
Thanks guys! Hmmm. I wish I could do your aluminum solution. Lots of things are needed that I don't have. I found this alternative, too. I dunno where to go to get something like this either.

mdb007 (9/25/23)
Old 4/4/14, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05YellowGT

wow, thats a old post I did. They are still on my car and still working. I bought a new set of the plastic ones prior to that fix but the panels had some warp to them and they just wouldnt hold.

Thanks guys! Hmmm. I wish I could do your aluminum solution. Lots of things are needed that I don't have. I found this alternative, too. I dunno where to go to get something like this either.
If you go to a archery shop you can get a couple of those arrow inserts for a buck or less. Then all you need is a tap to re-thread the holes. pretty cheap fix

Those other parts you posted, You can get ***** with threaded posts like that at hardware stores, Ive bought them for other projects, the threaded coupler, I dont know. The bolt in the car is metric, and the coupler would have to thread on and then the **** would have to have the same threads unless you re tapped that too.

Ive searched for all the plastic push pins myself. Fords used push pins that you cant find anywhere. Ive bought alot of packages at auto parts stores and they never seem to fit the holes right. Ive even gone as far to grind the christmas tree section of the pins to fit the holes in the car. I needed the 2 real big ones for under the rear bumper. Couldnt find them anywhere. Paid $7 for 2 plastic push pins at the Ford dealer. What a rip off.

Last edited by amustangrocks; 4/4/14 at 09:19 AM.
garyb900 (6/16/16)
Old 4/4/14, 06:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
wow, thats a old post I did. They are still on my car and still working. I bought a new set of the plastic ones prior to that fix but the panels had some warp to them and they just wouldnt hold.

If you go to a archery shop you can get a couple of those arrow inserts for a buck or less. Then all you need is a tap to re-thread the holes. pretty cheap fix

Those other parts you posted, You can get ***** with threaded posts like that at hardware stores, Ive bought them for other projects, the threaded coupler, I dont know. The bolt in the car is metric, and the coupler would have to thread on and then the **** would have to have the same threads unless you re tapped that too.

Ive searched for all the plastic push pins myself. Fords used push pins that you cant find anywhere. Ive bought alot of packages at auto parts stores and they never seem to fit the holes right. Ive even gone as far to grind the christmas tree section of the pins to fit the holes in the car. I needed the 2 real big ones for under the rear bumper. Couldnt find them anywhere. Paid $7 for 2 plastic push pins at the Ford dealer. What a rip off.

I came up with the appropriate solution for the problem yesterday. Basically it is the same one as the one I found on the French Mustang forums.
I went to Ace Hardware and got the ***** and extender things for the taillight bolts. It is securely in there and easy to remove and much more sturdy than the factory plastic pieces.
Old 4/4/14, 07:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I came up with the appropriate solution for the problem yesterday. Basically it is the same one as the one I found on the French Mustang forums. I went to Ace Hardware and got the ***** and extender things for the taillight bolts. It is securely in there and easy to remove and much more sturdy than the factory plastic pieces.
Nice idea. You can get another like that and add a cargo net now
Old 4/4/14, 08:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Nice idea. You can get another like that and add a cargo net now
Both sides are done like that now, so I definitely could attach a net to the *****! That's a good idea!
Old 12/30/15, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the part number...

Part number for the long wing nut that hold the trunk panels on.
Old 12/30/15, 11:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

What year do you have? I have an early 05 and at some point in time Ford changed where the threads are in the part and the ones I got didn't work on mine. I did the aluminum arrow fix and they've worked great ever since.
Old 12/30/15, 02:03 PM

05YellowGT, I own a 2009 4.0L. With the pony package.
Old 12/31/15, 05:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Probably after they changed the design of the piece, on mine the threads didn't have enough bite on the bolt to hold it on.
Old 6/5/16, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those fasteners stripped out easily...They suck..
mdb007 (9/25/23)
Old 6/16/16, 11:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I just wanted to thank unnoticedtrails for asking his question, 05YellowGT for posting the link to the fix and amustangrocks for inventing the fix!!!
Thanks guys.
I just had to replace my trunk fasteners and couldn't stand the POS oem ones that wouldn't hold tight and found this thread, did the fix and they work great!!
(my oem ones were before the design change because my car was built on '04 and they didn't work at all)
Old 6/17/16, 10:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by garyb900
I just wanted to thank unnoticedtrails for asking his question, 05YellowGT for posting the link to the fix and amustangrocks for inventing the fix!!!
Thanks guys.
I just had to replace my trunk fasteners and couldn't stand the POS oem ones that wouldn't hold tight and found this thread, did the fix and they work great!!
(my oem ones were before the design change because my car was built on '04 and they didn't work at all)

For those of us with early models and can't use the new fasteners, it the best way to go. Little bit of work, but once it's done it's done
Old 10/31/21, 02:57 AM

Hi, what is the diameter and thread of the long stainless threaded insert ?
Old 11/1/21, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
6mm x 1.00.

Hope that helps, welcome to the forums!
Stang008 (11/1/21)
Old 11/1/21, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
6mm x 1.00.

Hope that helps, welcome to the forums!