Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

A/C vents not working correctly

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/10, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C vents not working correctly

Hey guys. Just after I figured out my gauge cluster issue, now my A/C is acting up. It's just now cooling off enough around here to use the heat on some days. In the mornings I usually run hot air through the defroster and to the floor. The other day when I went to lunch it had warmed so I went to switch back to cool air through the upper vents. But no matter where I set the selector air only come out of the defrost or the floor. Not sure what is up. It seems to be switching between those two just fine, but anytime I select the upper vents it comes out the bottom. Did some research and read something about a vacuum line going to a unit under the dash behind the glove box. It seems okay. But I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for either. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11/10/10, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm having the same issue :/ Did you ever figured out what the problem was?
Old 11/10/10, 01:19 PM

Not yet. I was just coming back to see if anyone had any ides as to what it might be. :-/ I saw a reply and hoping you knew lol. I did just look at it again. What I thought might be the vacuum line I read to check somewhere, turns out to be the antenna cable. I can't find anything else behind the glovebox that looks like a vacuum line. Gonna see what else I can find out.
Old 11/10/10, 01:34 PM
GT Member

When it does come out the floor or defrost, is the air stream STRONG or weak? If it is weak, it may be the blower motor or resistor . . . .
Old 11/10/10, 04:51 PM

No it's blowing strong air. Just won't blow out the vents any more. I found an online manual. looks like there are two "selector units" I guess you'd call them. One diverts air to the defrost and floor, from what I can tell it's on the passenger side. And another on the left diverts the defrost air to either the defroster or vents. So I'm guessing there is something wrong with the one on the left. Just read this at lunch. Haven't had time to look under the dash and see if I can see what they're talking about. I'll post back as soon as I know more.

Also as an aside. It looks like these models don't use a vacuum line from the intake to switch these doors. It's all electrical from what I've read. If anyone wants to chime in and clarify I'd be very appreciative.
Old 11/11/10, 07:41 PM

K. Looked at it a bit more at lunch. The actuator is a PITA to get to. One of the bolts us blocked by one of the vent tubes. Still haven't got it out but didn't spend to much time on it either. Maybe 30 mins. Anywho if I get it out I'll let ya know.
Old 11/12/10, 10:17 AM

Just to update. You can get to the bolts after removing the instrument cluster. Still a pita and fwiw I never got the top one out. However I could see the lever on the unit. Tried to move it with my hand. It wouldn't move. So I knew the gears weren't stripped. Thought about it. Fired up the car and switched to the vents. What do you know it worked. Flipped back and forth a couple more times then put the bottom screw back in. Maybe it had just gotten hung??? Gonna look a little closer at it during lunch. Make sure there isn't more to it. I sure hope not. Lol
Old 11/14/10, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the update!
I ended up taking mine to the shop. They had to replace the mode door actuator motor.
Works fine now
Old 11/17/10, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by psychen6
Thanks for the update!
I ended up taking mine to the shop. They had to replace the mode door actuator motor.
Works fine now
Yeah mine is not working again. BTW about what did it cost you? Just trying to decide if I wanna attempt it again or just take it in. Thanks.
Old 11/18/10, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

$33.80 for the part (Mode Door Actuator - Defrost Vent Servomotor, Left or Right, Part#6R3Z 19E616 B)
$74.73 for labor.
This was at a small shop, not at a dealership.
Old 11/26/10, 09:41 AM

Where is the mode door actuator located/
Old 11/26/10, 02:24 PM

There are two. The one that is acting up on mine is at the top left of the console. It's the one that selects between the vents and defrost, the other diverts air between the foot well and vents/defroster. I've not tried to find the other one. If you pull out the gauges you can access the one I'm having trouble with, but the top bolt for it is under the vent tube that feeds the far left vent. Kind of a pain to get to and mine has started working again, so I'm not gonna mess with it any more until it dies. Again lol.
Old 4/20/13, 01:40 PM

I am having the same problem since last month! So did you find any solution, please let me know?
Old 4/20/13, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by cme82
Yeah mine is not working again. BTW about what did it cost you? Just trying to decide if I wanna attempt it again or just take it in. Thanks.
I am having the same problem since last month! So did you find any solution, please let me know?
Old 4/21/13, 08:13 AM

I've never actually replaced mine. It seems to hang or pop out of place sometimes. So far just messing with it (loosening and retightening the screws maybe) has always got it to working again. And it's only happened a time or two more. Seems to maybe gum up over winter when I rarely select the vents.

However now it won't select the floor. So it's got to be the other actuator this time. Guess I need to figure out where it's located and see what I can do. Hopefully it's easier to get to. But once you've messed the with other one several times it's not too bad.
Old 4/22/13, 09:16 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MUSTA
Hi MUSTA,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I recommend you bring it in to your dealer as soon as possible and have it diagnosed. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, assistance, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha