Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

BRAKE SQUEAK!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/13, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRAKE SQUEAK!!!!!!!!!!

ok so I may have posted this before but cant remember and the problem still exists so hopefully someone else has fixed the same issue before, ever since I bought my 05 GT Coupe, the right rear somewhere has an annoying squeak like ee ee ee ee ee (if that helps at all) almost sounds like a cricket, pretty sure its coming from the right and have narrowed it down to the rear because the noise is affected by pulling the E Brake, it does it at low speeds coasting through parking lots etc. and braking at low speeds, the tone also changes slightly when I apply the normal brake, when turning in parking lots and what not mostly left turns, the squeak gets faster until I straighten out and goes away for a few seconds then starts back up when I have to brake again. I have turned my rotors, replaced the pads, cleaned/sanded/greased the pins that the calipers slide along, and still the isuue has not gone away after over 2 years of owning the car. Any help will be greatly appreciated THANKS!
Old 6/14/13, 08:09 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have thought about this for 2 days now, (Curse ya!) and the ONLY thing I can come up with is your wheel bearings. Unless your rotor is rubbing on the caliper itself, (Highly improbable) and you have already replaced the Pads, that's the only thing that comes to mind. Sorry.
Old 8/25/13, 06:59 PM

lmao!! sorry about that, but thanks a lot for your input ive milled around the idea of bearings as well since ive tried everything else, they aren't that expensive or hard to fix so that's probably gonna be my next course of action, thanks again
Will
Old 8/26/13, 05:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
There was a tsb for brake squeal but I believe it just involved changing out brake pads. There's also a tsb for park brake cables where the rubber seal boots would crack/tear and the cables would seize causing the pads to wear quickly or even overheat and take out the rotor.

You might want to check to see if the brake backing plate is bent causing it to rub the rotor slightly. Another area to check is if the one or both brake pads are just touching the rotor hat. Look for a shiny spot where the hat meets the rotor surface. If so back off the caliper anchor bolts and try moving the anchor away from the rotor hat slightly before tightening.
Old 11/11/13, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lime GT
There was a tsb for brake squeal but I believe it just involved changing out brake pads. There's also a tsb for park brake cables where the rubber seal boots would crack/tear and the cables would seize causing the pads to wear quickly or even overheat and take out the rotor.

You might want to check to see if the brake backing plate is bent causing it to rub the rotor slightly. Another area to check is if the one or both brake pads are just touching the rotor hat. Look for a shiny spot where the hat meets the rotor surface. If so back off the caliper anchor bolts and try moving the anchor away from the rotor hat slightly before tightening.
Thanks a lot!! I have pretty much narrowed it down to the parking brake because I had to pull tit up a few weeks ago to do some center console work and right after that I drove it and the sounds was MUCH worse for a day or 2 I assume until maybe the cable loosened up again,I'm thinking I have a sticky cable that causes my pads to be slightly depressed at all times because after I lower the parking brake handle it is sort of loose and I can wiggle it for a couple days. I will also check out the rotor hat area as well.
Thanks a lot for the help!!!
Old 11/12/13, 05:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

There was also a tsb for parking brake cable boots tearing, causing the cables to seize. You can go under the car and look at where the cable comes out of the cable sheath. There should be an intact boot at each sheath end. I had my 05's done under warranty years ago.
Old 11/12/13, 05:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Found it. https://themustangsource.com/galaxie...sb06_05_04.pdf
Old 11/20/13, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lime GT

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the research, this has been driving me nuts going on 3 years now, considering my car is long since out of warranty ill be fixing it myself :/ LMAO!!