Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Auto Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/07, 11:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Transmission Problems

I have had a problem the last few days and I wanted to see if anyone has had the same. After my car has sat overnight in 30 degree weather the auto trans doesn't want to shift when it is supposed to. When I put the car in drive, the engine got to about 4500 RPM before shifting to 2nd gear...I thought I had accidentally put the car in first instead of drive. After the car warmed up (shifted through all gears) the problem went away. The next day I let the car idle in the driveway for about 10 minutes before starting out but had the same problem. Trans fluid level was fine, no leaks and again after the initial stickiness the problem went away. I have the car at the dealer now and they cannot duplicate the problem (of course). Anyone see a TSB about this?
Old 3/5/07, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Since you have an auto trans, and there is no dipstick to check the fluid level, maybe it is low. I'd make sure the dealer checks the level of the fluid. My GMC Yukon came from the factory two quarts low on rear axle oil. I did not know it until I had about 3000 miles on it and it was in for a routine checkup. I don't know why our auto transmissions are sealed. In my opinion, it is a good idea to be able to check the level ocassionally and smell it to see if it is burnt smelling (important where I live in the heat of the summer). Good luck and I hope they find the problem.
Old 3/6/07, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

You have a bad solenoid pack. Make the dealer replace the transmission. My company makes the 5R55S. One of the checks we do on the dyno is shift time at different temps.
Old 3/7/07, 07:14 AM
GT Member

Well, I heard back from the dealers shop today.....and of course they could not reproduce the problem and since there is no identifiable TSB they say nothing can be done. They are replacing the Fuel filter for the hesitation TSB and re-initializing the computer with updated codes but nothing on the transmission. Oh and I was having problems with my convertible top not coming down even...had to just about use all my body weight to get the drivers side to seat properly......I know there was a TSB on this and I gave it to them, they said they "adjusted it" and now it seats better.....does this mean they bent the frame on the top to make it fit.....will have to see when it gets back.
Old 3/15/07, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Norm1961
Well, I heard back from the dealers shop today.....and of course they could not reproduce the problem and since there is no identifiable TSB they say nothing can be done. They are replacing the Fuel filter for the hesitation TSB and re-initializing the computer with updated codes but nothing on the transmission. Oh and I was having problems with my convertible top not coming down even...had to just about use all my body weight to get the drivers side to seat properly......I know there was a TSB on this and I gave it to them, they said they "adjusted it" and now it seats better.....does this mean they bent the frame on the top to make it fit.....will have to see when it gets back.
I don't think replacing the fuel filter will fix the hesitation issue. The problem is caused by a diaphragm in the fuel pump.....it allows air bubbles to form on a long cruise. When you stop, the air travels thru the fuel line ......then you have the hesitation when taking off. The only fix is a new fuel pump....I had that problem as well, but I fixed it with a set of Saleen twin pumps....
Old 3/16/07, 01:59 AM
GT Member

My bad I meant new fuel pump.......it was one of those nights....