Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wood grain trim???

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/11, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wood grain trim???

As many of you can tell by now, I am getting crazy waiting for my 2012 to be built. In my search for mods, I have come across wood grain trim kits for the mustang. I do not know if this will look neat or stupid, but if BMW can pull off wood trim and get away with it, then why not the Mustang?

So... Classy, or stupid??? If anyone has pics, please post them. Feel free to weigh in.

Here is a link to one place that sells them:

http://www.carid.com/2011-ford-musta...ain-dash-kits/

They seem to have a good selection of colors, but I could not see any pictures of them actually on a Mustang.
Old 2/16/11, 08:32 PM
Banned

Not a fan of wood trim unless it's in a heritage car like a Jag or a Bentley. Not even a fan of the fake burl wood that comes stock in some of Ford's products.

But hey, it's what makes you happy, if it's what you like more power to you.
Old 2/16/11, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Add on woodgrain looks cheap IMO. Plus, I don't feel it's right for a Mustang, especially given all the aluminum interior trim. YMMV.
Old 2/16/11, 08:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Classy and it fits:

HORRIBLE and looks like garbage
V6 Member

I'd pass on the wood grain.

I do wish there was a map light replacement, it's like the one part that just looks out of place on the interior.
Mach 1 Member

I think woodgrain in your car is like having wood paneling on your walls......outdated.
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Being old enough to remember when dash boards were actually made of wood, I have always enjoyed having some wood trim in the car. I opt only for the real stuff, and I use it sparingly. The photo is the center stack of my 2011 with Rosewood trim. I also have some trim around the door handles and window switches. It does lighten the dark interior. The real wood trim is more expensive, but believe me you see and appreciate the difference.
Attached Thumbnails Wood grain trim???-rosewood-dash-2011-mustang-002.jpg  
Old 2/16/11, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Here is a better photo. Hope this helps with your decision. As was pointed out by other posters, this isn't for everyone.
Attached Thumbnails Wood grain trim???-003.jpg  
Old 2/16/11, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Wood clearly has to be done right or not at all. It obviously can look really stupid. They do say that they have real wood available as well as carbon fiber and other trims. I am thinking still that something could make the Mustang look better. A real wood such as a cherry, dark burl, or mohagany might look good, but newer materials might be more appropriate for the vehicle. I still am unsure about what I am going to do. All these comments are helpful. I am just torn because if I did get a BMW or a Bentley, I would love the wood, but that is never going to happen with my current income. Even if I had the money for a Bently, I would rather get a Mustang and a nice Organ with an AGO pedalboard, three or four manuals and tons of stops (Classical, not theater). I guess I will just have to keep thinking about this, and if there is a classy way to do this. Maybe I should give up the wood and go with another material? At least I have plenty of time before I have to decide.
Old 2/16/11, 09:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
Wood clearly has to be done right or not at all. It obviously can look really stupid. They do say that they have real wood available as well as carbon fiber and other trims. I am thinking still that something could make the Mustang look better. A real wood such as a cherry, dark burl, or mohagany might look good, but newer materials might be more appropriate for the vehicle. I still am unsure about what I am going to do. All these comments are helpful. I am just torn because if I did get a BMW or a Bentley, I would love the wood, but that is never going to happen with my current income. Even if I had the money for a Bently, I would rather get a Mustang and a nice Organ with an AGO pedalboard, three or four manuals and tons of stops (Classical, not theater). I guess I will just have to keep thinking about this, and if there is a classy way to do this. Maybe I should give up the wood and go with another material? At least I have plenty of time before I have to decide.

Hydro Carbon parts BY JLT actually looks good IMO for a hydro part and not the cost of real CF. Plus it's not a stick on part- it's a direct replacement.

https://themustangsource.com/f800/ou...ild-up-486019/

https://themustangsource.com/f803/hy...-gt500-489789/

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 2/16/11 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Vid
Old 2/16/11, 09:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Here is a better photo. Hope this helps with your decision. As was pointed out by other posters, this isn't for everyone.
Hey, I bootlegged one of your pics and used it to answer his same question on allfordmustangs...

I really like the Real Rosewood, looks really good.

And the original 60's Mustangs that the 05-12 were retro-styled after had lots of woodrain on the dash, console and doors.
Old 2/16/11, 10:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I like the carbon fiber, but I think I want to at least try to make a wood look work first, if that is possible with Lava Red. Where did you get your trim? That is on your 2011, right? I think a darker wood would go better with the Lava interior, but yours looks like good quality work. Do they make it in dark wood, or is that some sort of custom job?
Old 2/16/11, 11:33 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
I like the carbon fiber, but I think I want to at least try to make a wood look work first, if that is possible with Lava Red. Where did you get your trim? That is on your 2011, right? I think a darker wood would go better with the Lava interior, but yours looks like good quality work. Do they make it in dark wood, or is that some sort of custom job?
He's using a Sherwood Industries kit I think, they have other colors but only two real wood kits.

http://www.carid.com/2011-ford-musta...ood-77722.html

Also, I didn't know they were doing lava red on the interior but even so the dash and console are still charcoal black not red. The red would only be the seats and door inserts.

+++

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 2/16/11 at 11:56 PM.
Old 2/17/11, 06:35 AM
Cobra Member

I can not express how much I dislike wood trim. Give me metal all over or even hard plastic. No wood.
Old 2/17/11, 06:54 AM
Cobra R Member

As long as it's subtle and the plastic pieces are replaced with wood grain parts,
not stupid tape stick-on ones. It looks pretty good on the '70

Old 2/17/11, 07:18 AM
GTR Member

Please no. Worked back in the 60s and 70s, but brushed aluminum, chrome, and carbon fiber are the modern stuff. IMO it clashes with the factory interior bits, no matter which type you go with. Case in point is that CS shown below.
Old 2/17/11, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, wood grain trim for the INTERIOR. Here I was thinking someone wanted to dress up their Mustang like a Ford Country Squire station wagon.
Attached Images  
Old 2/17/11, 08:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Old 2/17/11, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
He's using a Sherwood Industries kit I think, they have other colors but only two real wood kits.

http://www.carid.com/2011-ford-musta...ood-77722.html

Also, I didn't know they were doing lava red on the interior but even so the dash and console are still charcoal black not red. The red would only be the seats and door inserts.

+++

You are correct. It is the Sherwood kit. It is one of the highest quality kits I have seen.

I previously had a 1988 Fiero GT, in 1988 and I did replace the dash panels with real wood panels custom made by a company in California that did classic cars. However, it seems today, you can only buy the stick on kits, unless you want to mortgage your first born.

The good thing with the stick on kits, they are reasoably priced and you can easily remove them and replace them with something else if you don't like the look. I did the carbon fiber thing back in '93, on one my VW Corrado VR6's, and although it looked nice, it was just too dark with the the black interior.

Again, these are all personal choices. You really should do whatever you like, as you will be the one living with it, every day.
Old 2/17/11, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I might just get a kit with real wood in a dark color. I hate those cheesy 80s vinyl imitation wood things that look horrible, but real wood might be worth a try since I can remove it later. If one wood does not work, I will either try a different one, or go with a carbon fiber thing like one of the people posted. I know it is not a euro luxury sedan, but it does have a high quality interior that might look great with upgraded dash materials of some sort.

Thanks for all the ideas, I will definitely keep considering all of them.

Quick Reply: Wood grain trim???