Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Winter wheel/tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/12, 08:16 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
I switched wheels and tires on my 2013 GT Vert this week from stock Brembo wheels to LMR Boss hyper black replica wheels, 19x9, and Cooper Zeon RS3 All season 255/40/19 and so far so good. Here is a pic, I too was leary of running the Goodyear F1 in the winter as we do get temps below freezing in my area.
Good choice. I've already had some close calls with the F1s. I can't imagine them in ice.
Old 11/19/12, 06:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounted mine this week. Although it's warming up a bit, the timing was just right, just got a probably last hand wash in, the Jaeger Bros. splash guards arrived, making the install super easy with the wheel off during the swap. The summer wheels are tucked away all clean for the winter.

The rims are ok, as one of the least expensive at TireRack. I've used the Blizzaks before on my Charger R/T and liked them. Boy though, they sure feel like winter tires compared to the stock Pirellis. Acceleration traction and on-center feel aren't quite up to the performance, but that will be offset if there's ANY snow on the ground.

Name:  IMG_9200.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  90.9 KB
Old 11/19/12, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ i think i have the same wheels. i don't really want to open them up yet.
Old 11/21/12, 06:25 AM
V6 Member

I got a set of stock wheels (18x8) 5 spoke and Kumho Izen for about $1100 (total) and the TPMS cost me $100 total on-line (Blue Oval Ind) and the 2011 and up mustangs computers automatically adjusts them. No tool is necessary to calibrate the TPMS, the computer does it.

2011 Premium GT MT82, 400A, Performance White, GT500 axle backs, JLT oil separator, Airaid CAI, 35% tint, Side window louvers, 3M front clear body armor
Old 11/21/12, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

i think i paid like 1800 for everything shipped. i hate buying snow tires.
Old 11/21/12, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

finally bit the bullet and ordered wheels/tires

went with the pirelli sottozeros and gt500 18"replicas. came out to just about $1700 even shipped

will see how they do...first time with a winter setup.
Old 11/23/12, 02:48 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
At the shop getting my winter tires and rims put on Tori right now. Drag DR34's wrapped in hankook winter icept evo.

Pics later.
Old 11/23/12, 03:13 PM
GT Member

Bought these: http://www.americanmuscle.com/machin...18x8-0512.html (black friday special!) and ordered Blizzak LM60 set from belle tire (going to use their cleaning/storage service). I was surprised when I went to my car today and it was snowing quite a bit!

Last edited by SkyyPunk; 11/23/12 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11/23/12, 05:08 PM

2013 V6 Premium convertible with the pony package is on order. Built and will be shipped soon(Andrea, thanks for checking).

Since will be a daily driver, thinking of getting 18 inch studded snows for the winter time plus a set of winter wiper blades and put a set of traction ramps, cat litter, snowbrush, ice scraper, deicer spray and a shovel in the trunk. Probably would be best to do all four tires because I have doubts about the snow performance of the stock Pirelli Zero Nero's it will likely come with. Need the studs around where I live because of icy hills including a steep unpaved driveway with a couple of turns. If the driveway is icy or snowy, I'll normally gun the engine on the hardtop street to gain momentum and shut TCS off if equipped; neighbors occasionally stop to watch the show. We do fine with studded tires on the rear axle of a '66 mustang and various Crown Vics.

Studded snows selection in that tire size looks somewhat limited. It would be more if I dropped -1 but then would likely lose a bit of ground clearance.

Thinking either the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 or 7 tires (pricey but they look like decent performance winter tires and they could be used for several years) or the Cooper WeatherMaster WSC tires (those usually come without the studs so I'd need to find a local tire joint that has a stud gun).

Any other studded tires in the 18" category that I'm overlooking?

Last edited by GadgetKen; 11/23/12 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11/23/12, 07:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetKen
2013 V6 Premium convertible with the pony package is on order. Built and will be shipped soon(Andrea, thanks for checking).

Since will be a daily driver, thinking of getting 18 inch studded snows for the winter time plus a set of winter wiper blades and put a set of traction ramps, cat litter, snowbrush, ice scraper, deicer spray and a shovel in the trunk. Probably would be best to do all four tires because I have doubts about the snow performance of the stock Pirelli Zero Nero's it will likely come with. Need the studs around where I live because of icy hills including a steep unpaved driveway with a couple of turns. If the driveway is icy or snowy, I'll normally gun the engine on the hardtop street to gain momentum and shut TCS off if equipped; neighbors occasionally stop to watch the show. We do fine with studded tires on the rear axle of a '66 mustang and various Crown Vics.

Studded snows selection in that tire size looks somewhat limited. It would be more if I dropped -1 but then would likely lose a bit of ground clearance.

Thinking either the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 or 7 tires (pricey but they look like decent performance winter tires and they could be used for several years) or the Cooper WeatherMaster WSC tires (those usually come without the studs so I'd need to find a local tire joint that has a stud gun).

Any other studded tires in the 18" category that I'm overlooking?
Not sure on studded models but everything I've read says don't ever only do two snow tires - always four.
Old 11/23/12, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Not sure on studded models but everything I've read says don't ever only do two snow tires - always four.
Agreed. I need to steer as well as have traction on the drive axle. Having winter tires on the rear axle and good all season tires on the front axle sometimes will work on snow, but not so well if I'm on ice. Plus I'll have the ability to rotate snow tires if I have a full set of four...which should help prolong their life.
Old 11/23/12, 11:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Agreed. I need to steer as well as have traction on the drive axle. Having winter tires on the rear axle and good all season tires on the front axle sometimes will work on snow, but not so well if I'm on ice. Plus I'll have the ability to rotate snow tires if I have a full set of four...which should help prolong their life.
I live right across the sound from you in LI, Don't you think studded or even full winter tires are overkill? I went with some top rated all-weather and when we had that snow storm after Sandy I had no issues at all.. even when I was lazy and about 4 to 6" in the driveway.. I warmed up the car, wiped off the snow on the Mustang and drove right out of the driveway..
Old 11/24/12, 06:59 AM

GadgetKen,
Do all four. I think studded is overkill. Have Blizzak LM-60's on my 2011 V6. Has been through two winters, they have been great. I have not put any sand/weight in the trunk. Was thinking about it last year, but never did.
Old 11/24/12, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mabcim
GadgetKen,
Do all four. I think studded is overkill. Have Blizzak LM-60's on my 2011 V6. Has been through two winters, they have been great. I have not put any sand/weight in the trunk. Was thinking about it last year, but never did.
I'm still on the fence on whether to do studded or no studs. Leaning towards studs but might go with a studless tire.
Advantage on studs is they tend to be better on ice in terms of handling, traction, and braking(although tire chains are better than studs on ice but I'm not putting those on a Mustang...that would really be overkill for the area I live in). On snow there is probably not a huge difference. Disadvantage is cost, stud wear, noise and state regulated studded tire season. Study on studded versus non-studded tires that shows little difference on snow but improvement of studs on ice (see table 5 stopping distances): http://serp.freecause.com/?rm=y_clic...63b180d24786a2
Hilly area around my home on the Connecticut/Massachusetts border often gets heavy snow and the street I live on (and the steep unpaved driveway) often gets ice. Sometimes have to use traction ramps on my driveway if there is ice underneath the snow. Even after plowing, the driveway will often have thick ice and have to be sanded.
If doing studded would probably do the previously mentioned Nokian or Cooper tires. If doing non-studded would probably do Michelin X-Ice, Bridgestone Blizzak or Nokian Hakkapelliitta R tires.

Last edited by GadgetKen; 11/24/12 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11/24/12, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

mounted mine up yesterday. car drives pretty poor on the blizzaks but hopefully they'll save my life in the snow.
Name:  51711B80-8BAB-43D4-9351-1AEA4F96C4CD-16916-000015CEB377D5F7.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  335.1 KB
Old 11/24/12, 02:49 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Finally got a chance to put these on. They're gunmetal Drag DR34's, wrapped in Hankook winter i-cepts. I think they are a perfect compliment to the Silver Moon paint.

Drove them a couple times in 25 degree roads. So far so good. First light snow is forecasted for this upcoming week. I can't wait.

Name:  drag1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  drag2.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  drag6.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  drag3.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  drag4.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  69.7 KB
Old 11/24/12, 11:53 PM
GT Member

well got a dusting of snow tonight and 7am this morning had the dunlop graspics put on perfect timing here's a screen grab of a vid i took with my phone to show conditions anyway, not too bad. the car definitely feels heavier than my old wrx (never had snow tires on that). stopping and turning with snow tires is definitely the thing and these did fairly well. i'm used to snow driving though and always slow way down. was a little surprised at how much the tail will kick out without the traction/stability control lighting up, but i didn't hold it for that long. i did stop on my underground garage parking ramp and put it into reverse, then fairly aggressively backed up it... the stability/traction control light was on steady and i could feel the wheels slipping but i did back up better than i thought for about 5ft. it's definitely not a truck or subie but fairs pretty well

Last edited by 2013kAB; 7/14/13 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11/25/12, 06:52 AM

...Sometimes have to use traction ramps on my driveway if there is ice underneath the snow. Even after plowing, the driveway will often have thick ice and have to be sanded.
If doing studded would probably do the previously mentioned Nokian or Cooper tires. If doing non-studded would probably do Michelin X-Ice, Bridgestone Blizzak or Nokian Hakkapelliitta R tires.
Don't forget, you do have traction control. So for those times when ice is truely an issue on the driveway, it will be fine. I did read some reviews (when I was buying mine, that the X-Ice was slipperly when the road was wet. Of course, some people loved them. Since they salt around here, the majority of the winter is slushy roads.

Originally Posted by JeffL
...car drives pretty poor on the blizzaks...
Not sure how aggressive you are driving them, but yes, they do not perform the same as the P-zeros. The ride is a little softer, but that is do to them being snow tires. When it gets cold, the P-zeros harden up a little so they are not as good as when it is warm out (same for any snow tire). I found the Blizzaks to be much better than expected; I can drive slightly aggressive and they hug the corners very well, the car just rolls a little due to the softer sidewall. I think you will get use to them pretty quick.
Old 11/25/12, 07:39 PM

Pretty stoked about my new snows/wheels. Thought I'd post here as well as in another mustang forum. This thread helped me. Thought I'd return the favour.

My setup:

Michelin x-ice3 225/60/17
17” Elbrus I02 silver painted wheels

The wheel/tire set was purchased from tire rack and delivered to an installer stateside across the border. Everything went fine with the transaction/install and I even got some advice from the American border guard who insisted that I was a fool for driving the stang in the winter; maybe he drives a Honda and just wanted to take it out on me lol.

Dry Performance:

I had a chance to immediately test the new setup on a relatively warm day 12C. I was impressed with how quiet and composed the tires were. I can barely tell a difference between them and the stock Nero tires which are 18” and wider (235). I’ve driven some sloppy winter tires before but these new generation tires have come a long way. On the highway, I gave her a little extra on the ramps, and they were tight, firm and composed. I debated about getting performance snows such as the Alpine series but now see little reason to, which leads me to my next point…

Snow Performance:

Most “performance” snows flat out suck in actual snow and ice; I do not live in Carolina but in a true winter climate. We had our first snowfall today, around 6 cm. I went to a nearby mall to test it. I drove over impacted and icy snow and no matter how hard I slammed the brakes at 60km, I could not get the car to slide. The ABS only kicked in once which tells me that the tires are doing their job. Next came the donut test (mmm, just thought of Tim Hurtons eh!), while I could get the tires to break a little, the car very quickly regained traction. That said, from a stop, I was reminded that I’m driving a powerful rear wheel drive car, and when I hit the gas a little to enthusiastically, I spun the tires. Go easy here folks, be reasonable, think safe, and I’m sure the car will rarely get stuck at a stop or lose control when accelerating at all speeds. I don’t think I’ll need to add any more weight in the trunk but I have a 12 kg hitch over the rear wheels.

Aesthetics:

I viewed a ton of wheels which were not much more expensive than a basic set of steelies. I looked at bullets and everything else. I settled on the Elbrus because I like the silver finish which won’t look too bad with salt on them, and the basic star pattern because they are very easy to wash. The style of this wheel reminds me of the 19” mustang nickel plated wheels which I really like. They look better in person and have a modern feel. The shape and lines make the wheel appear to be larger than they are.

With this setup, I won’t be as eager for the spring to come, knowing I have a very capable snow tire (which handles like an all season), and a decent looking set of wheels. I would reassure anyone living in a northern climate not to worry about a smaller wheel/tire with these michelins.

Cost:

By choosing a 17” tire/wheel over the 18” setup, I saved a ton of cash (over $400), which I will use to get my steeda tune! I have no regrets at all in downsizing. For daily winter driving, you can’t tell a difference. I would pony up a few extra bucks and get the xi3 tires as they are a little more than entry level wheels. They are that good. I would pay a premium to have a top tier winter tire and don't understand why some want to nickel and dime when it comes to winter tires.
Attached Thumbnails Winter wheel/tire discussion-1b.jpg   Winter wheel/tire discussion-2b.jpg   Winter wheel/tire discussion-3b.jpg  

Last edited by jazzcat; 11/25/12 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12/2/12, 03:22 PM
GT Member

Had my winter tires/wheels installed this weekend. Blizzak LM-60 on Matte Black Machined AMR Wheel

It had been cold (between 25-35F) for the past week and snowed a week ago...got them installed this weekend and today it was 60F and rainy! Tires were terrible today but it isn't what they were designed for I suppose...anything more than barely touching the gas and I would slide, especially when turning. Ah well...bring on the snow!

Photo time!

Last edited by SkyyPunk; 12/2/12 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire discussion