Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why is the MT-82 so hard to get into gear/notchy?

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/14, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I had a 2013 GT with MT-82 and it was very inconsistent with the shifts from the start. My 2014 is very smooth in comparison. So much different that I have tried researching to see what Ford changed from model year 13 to 14!!

Any know what changes were made to the MT-82? If any?
One thing I noticed between early 13s and late13s/14s is the clutch. A LOT lighter. Mine is a total gym.
Old 4/21/14, 06:54 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I had a 2013 GT with MT-82 and it was very inconsistent with the shifts from the start. My 2014 is very smooth in comparison. So much different that I have tried researching to see what Ford changed from model year 13 to 14!! Any know what changes were made to the MT-82? If any?
I was going to ask if people that are having issues with the shifts noticed these issues from the beginning because the 14 I drove was so effortless to shift.
Old 4/21/14, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I was going to ask if people that are having issues with the shifts noticed these issues from the beginning because the 14 I drove was so effortless to shift.
yeah, i pretty much was from the start. i just accepted it, but lately it's been driving me nuts.
Old 4/21/14, 07:06 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
yeah, i pretty much was from the start. i just accepted it, but lately it's been driving me nuts.
Bummer...maybe they made changes from the 13 to 14.
Old 4/21/14, 07:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Bummer...maybe they made changes from the 13 to 14.
i didn't really notice any issue other than it just feeling kinda notchy, until the first time I tried to give it hell, which was at least 8 months into ownership when I tried out the 1/4 mile in the track apps. took three tries. first attempt ground the 1-2 and bailed. 2nd attempt, missed the 2-3 and bailed, and last attempt I short shifted the 1-2, but bogged on launch, so i bailed. Since then I've realized I'll never be able to give it hell full out, so it'll never hit a road course or quarter mile.

in the only three tries I've ever give it while going all out, I missed more shifts than I EVER did at the track with my GTO. I think since the 3/36 is about to end soon, I'll go for the shifter.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 4/21/14 at 07:19 PM.
Old 4/21/14, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
has anyone else had a car with a T56 prior like I have?

it's so mechanical and direct, you even heard the "clank" into gears. This was in a GTO with a GMM Rip Shifter, a Lou's Short Stick arm and a B&M ****.

no issues driving day to day except 2-3 sometimes turning into 2-5 shifts, but i'm really starting to hate this thing.

the MGW is on my upgrade list, and has been, so i guess I'll just wait and see.
I've had 2 GTOs with T-56s. One with a Lou's Short stick on the stock shifer, one with a GMM with the Hurst Stick Adaptor, which was like a well oiled Remington 700 bolt. I can bang the everloving **** out of my MT-82's gears at redline.

My shifter is stock with a 15 dollar Prothane rear bushing and a Barton adaptor and ****, which made quite a bit of difference over the stock ****. A lot of people pull the shifter laterally as well as longitudinally between 1 and 2. Between 2 and 3, a lot of people give the shifter a 45* shove towards the far right corner of the shifter and let the gate catch it and guide it into gear. That's how I used to treat my GMM. If you pull straight back between 1 and 2, she'll go right in. If you push straight up with an open palm between 2 and 3, the centering spring will pull the shifter into the 3rd gear gate and, again, it'll go right in. The shifter definitely binds up on me if I try to muscle it and yank it back and towards me between 1 and 2, which I have done before trying to drive the car in anger.

The Barton **** is lighter than stock and sits higher up. I'm not crazy about the feel with the lighter ****, but I do think it's changed my shifting manners in a way that gets the most out of this trans.
Old 4/21/14, 09:40 PM
GT Member

I have an 11 with 34k on the clock. I've done the MGW, Whiteline insert, TSB fluid and braided clutch line. All of these helped but didn't cure the inconsistent shifting I get with this trans. Winter time I skip 2nd when the car has sat overnight or when leaving work at the end of the day. After a few miles, it warms up and works fine. The inconsistency is what pisses me off the most. Now that it's getting warmer, I shift with my fingertips. Very friustrating! Plan to go with Amsoil MTF this summer to see if that helps.
Old 4/21/14, 10:21 PM
Banned

I did notice that it for a bit more tolerable when I changed the **** to the lighter Speeddawg one. That alive was an improvement. Come Friday I'll probably be ordering my MGW, so hopefully that will be a start towards to right direction.

I need to find out if a can reuse my Speeddawg shift **** with it. (Stock threads)
Old 4/21/14, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I have a 2014 I just got delivered in late march, I thought the first thing I was going to do was a shifter upgrade after driving several 12's and 13's and reading so many threads on shifting problems!
But mine shifts soo much better than any of the other car I drove.
Took it to the drag strip last week and never had one issue,
now a shifter upgrade is way down on my list of mods!
Maybe I'm just really lucky and they but bigger zip ties on my shifter
Old 4/21/14, 10:44 PM
GT Member

I installed the steeda tri-ax and bushing the day after I got her because of this problem. It did fix it to the point where the 2nd gear lockout was gone and felt a lot more stable. It is a bit of a rifle bolt design as well.

I've put over 30 passes on her and get regular 13.7s. Missed 3rd a few times but nothing else.

I've also installed the braided clutch line. It increased pressure but didn't really see a big difference. Plus a month ago I did the red line fluid change. In cold weather it's a bit notchy. It really needs to warm up. But at temp it is a big improvement. Smoother than normal. With fresh Dot 4 it feels new. The set up has 100,000 miles on it.

My concern now are the internal bushings. She's my dd and weekend racer so I am considering the mgw set up. It's something I've been debating for a year and really think I need to pull the trigger.
Old 4/22/14, 12:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I

I need to find out if a can reuse my Speeddawg shift **** with it. (Stock threads)
All new MGW's come with the stock thread size. I had to ask too since I use the Barton **** and adapter.
Old 4/22/14, 06:02 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
has anyone else had a car with a T56 prior like I have? it's so mechanical and direct, you even heard the "clank" into gears. This was in a GTO with a GMM Rip Shifter, a Lou's Short Stick arm and a B&M ****. no issues driving day to day except 2-3 sometimes turning into 2-5 shifts, but i'm really starting to hate this thing. the MGW is on my upgrade list, and has been, so i guess I'll just wait and see.
My car has the T56 and yes there's a big difference. The problem is that the new trans has a remote mounted shifter. It's not directly bolted on the trans itself so there's a little slop between the shift road bushings and linkages. It is what it is. The MGW stiffens all that up tying it to the trans directly. Still has a few bushings and a shift rod but it really helps.
Old 4/22/14, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

temperature plays a huge role. In the summer I have no problems with notchy shifting, but as soon as it dips below 40-50 degrees, I get 1-2 notchy shifting. It's obvious that damage is being caused. Don't expect any MT82 to stay on the road for more than 100,000+ miles
Old 4/22/14, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
One thing I noticed between early 13s and late13s/14s is the clutch. A LOT lighter. Mine is a total gym.
I absolutely L O V E the clutch feel on my 14 GT PT. It is just perfect. It feels stiff and tight, and the "engagement" zone is literally about 1" long.

I put the Barton bracket on mine to help with missing 3rd at the track. Hopefully that helps. I haven't missed 3rd yet during street driving, but I never really have before either. My first track day is in July this year. I guess I'll see if it made a difference after.
Old 4/22/14, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by lsxjunkie

My shifter is stock with a 15 dollar Prothane rear bushing and a Barton adaptor and ****, which made quite a bit of difference over the stock ****. A lot of people pull the shifter laterally as well as longitudinally between 1 and 2. Between 2 and 3, a lot of people give the shifter a 45* shove towards the far right corner of the shifter and let the gate catch it and guide it into gear. That's how I used to treat my GMM. If you pull straight back between 1 and 2, she'll go right in. If you push straight up with an open palm between 2 and 3, the centering spring will pull the shifter into the 3rd gear gate and, again, it'll go right in. The shifter definitely binds up on me if I try to muscle it and yank it back and towards me between 1 and 2, which I have done before trying to drive the car in anger.

The Barton **** is lighter than stock and sits higher up. I'm not crazy about the feel with the lighter ****, but I do think it's changed my shifting manners in a way that gets the most out of this trans.
I have to agree. I also realized that a "driver mod" is required with this shifter. The key to pull good shifts here in my opinion is:
1) Clutch all the way to the floor
2) Deliberate and precise vertical movements
3) Not using a lot of force, rather "guiding" it into gear

Banging it at 45 degrees from 2nd to 3rd is certainly a good way to get hung up.
Old 4/22/14, 08:30 AM

my 2014 v6 premium model shifts like butter and very quiet. no gear roll over in neutral like the t-5 in my 2010. getting into reverse takes a little getting use to. you have to push down on the shifter and move it to the left.
Old 4/22/14, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The MGW shifter cured all of my ailments with this shifter, especially after it broke in. The biggest problem comes from the rear mount/bushing, which is just utterly garbage. It just leaves loads of play with the entire shifting unit itself, which is what leads loads of slop in the shifting, and even more when "power" shifting. The MGW unit firms it up quite a bit.

I've let loads of people drive my car both before and after installation, and all of them love the new shifter; that includes Corvette and Camaro guys.

Also, IMO, notchiness you feel is not inherently bad. I've not had an issue with it when shifting my car.
Old 4/22/14, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by narphenal
The MGW shifter cured all of my ailments with this shifter, especially after it broke in.
It seems there really is a break-in period, I feel the stiffness loosened up a bit after about 2weeks of daily commutes. Or it might just be that I'm getting used to the shifter hmm.
Old 4/22/14, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
It seems there really is a break-in period, I feel the stiffness loosened up a bit after about 2weeks of daily commutes. Or it might just be that I'm getting used to the shifter hmm.
I noticed it too. I loved it right out of the gate, but it has felt amazing the past few weeks.

Smooth as glass.
Old 4/22/14, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Dumb question. I have the Barton 2 post shift bracket and I want to get a mgw shifter, are the 2 compatible ?

Quick Reply: Why is the MT-82 so hard to get into gear/notchy?