Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why is the MT-82 so hard to get into gear/notchy?

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/14, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is the MT-82 so hard to get into gear/notchy?

As the title states. I came from a Tremec T-56, and while that transmission was very mechanical feeling, it just slid right into gear no problem.

This one is almost impossible to drive quickly! I would never even bother with the drag strip. I'd be fighting it on the 1-2 and the 2-3 just to get into gear. I'd end up either grinding it, or losing so much time just trying to shift that i'd give up.

what gives? will a shifter change really remedy any of this?
Old 4/21/14, 03:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't notice any issues with mine...the primary issue seems to be waiting for the engine to decel to low enough rpm for the next gear.
Old 4/21/14, 03:17 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Did you even read the numerous other threads addressing this first?
Old 4/21/14, 03:19 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not notchy or hard to get into gear.

And we definitely didn't need another of these MT82 threads...
Old 4/21/14, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Did you even read the numerous other threads addressing this first?
nope, since they're all old and supposedly this has been fixed.
Old 4/21/14, 03:23 PM
GTR Member

Nothing to fix.
Old 4/21/14, 03:24 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
nope, since they're all old and supposedly this has been fixed.
The shifter really helps. Especially the MGW unit. A much better clutch will also do wonders when paired up with the shifter.
Old 4/21/14, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
As the title states. I came from a Tremec T-56, and while that transmission was very mechanical feeling, it just slid right into gear no problem. This one is almost impossible to drive quickly! I would never even bother with the drag strip. I'd be fighting it on the 1-2 and the 2-3 just to get into gear. I'd end up either grinding it, or losing so much time just trying to shift that i'd give up. what gives? will a shifter change really remedy any of this?
From everything I have read, yes. I want the MGW badly too, but more for winter driving when 2nd gear sucks the most, along with even better shifting now.
Old 4/21/14, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

There are tons of threads to go through on this subject, but to make it easier, replace the factory crappy fluid with Redline MTL (cold climate friendly) and at least upgrade the rear mount with a more solid mount. I used the Prothane urethane bushing for about 20k miles and it worked fine. I put the MGW in last month and as much as I hate to admit it, I should have done one much sooner. The MGW after breaking in is wonderful. The 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts under full 7k load are flawless and quick and allow me to completely embarrass stock Corvette owners.
Old 4/21/14, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The shifter IS the problem, it's a wet noodle POS. Replace with MGW and never look back. I have had mine in for over 20K miles and it's been trouble free.
Old 4/21/14, 04:44 PM
Cobra Member

When you pull out the stock shifter, and set it down next to the mgw your first reaction will be. "Well there's my problem" The stock shifter is terrible.......absolutely terrible. The MGW is a night and day difference. And it is actually a pretty fun install to be honest.
Old 4/21/14, 05:01 PM
GT Member

I have an MGW. It totally cured the lockouts, but it is still notchy going into gears. Every few shifts you'll get a butter one. I don't know where the inconsistency comes from. Second is the worst by a long shot. Additionally, I get a little nibble into third just about 10 times out of 10 if I shift 2-3 while turning. I have an SR braided clutch line as well as the Whiteline mount sitting in my garage. Hopefully they help a little bit. Fluid swap after that and I'm out of MT-82 upgrades. Anyone know any other way I can spend money on it?

I should add that I believe the design of the MT-82 makes it inherently notchy, but not in a bad way. It's just a very direct shift. The hang up going into gear is a separate issue. For example, my buddy has a VW CC and he casually shifts with his left hand while he sips coffee with his right. This would be a bit trickier with the MGW due to the short-shift, "rifle-bolt" action. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by jmaStang; 4/21/14 at 05:05 PM.
Old 4/21/14, 05:09 PM
Banned

has anyone else had a car with a T56 prior like I have?

it's so mechanical and direct, you even heard the "clank" into gears. This was in a GTO with a GMM Rip Shifter, a Lou's Short Stick arm and a B&M ****.

no issues driving day to day except 2-3 sometimes turning into 2-5 shifts, but i'm really starting to hate this thing.

the MGW is on my upgrade list, and has been, so i guess I'll just wait and see.
Old 4/21/14, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaStang
I have an MGW. It totally cured the lockouts, but it is still notchy going into gears. Every few shifts you'll get a butter one. I don't know where the inconsistency comes from. Second is the worst by a long shot. Additionally, I get a little nibble into third just about 10 times out of 10 if I shift 2-3 while turning. I have an SR braided clutch line as well as the Whiteline mount sitting in my garage. Hopefully they help a little bit.
I have the MGW + Whiteline Bushing. As much as I hate to agree, notchyness is still there.

My observation is based on low speeds though, the very same 'feel' I had with stock shifter going into gears - like something gets in the way. With MGW however, its shorter, its stiffer (stronger springs), and therefore many refer as precise.

The Whiteline Bushing benefits mostly at higher speeds/rpm I'm guessing, its kind of difficult to comment since my MGW and WL were done at the same time ;p

Is anyone getting humming noise at highway speeds btw...?
Old 4/21/14, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

The new MGW cleared up every shift issue I had with this car. Seeing and handling the OEM parts that came out, I can totally understand how there were shift issues. On a side note, this was installed 2 weeks ago. I am wondering how it compares to the previous MGW.

Last edited by Last1; 4/21/14 at 06:08 PM.
Old 4/21/14, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
I have the MGW + Whiteline Bushing. As much as I hate to agree, notchyness is still there.

My observation is based on low speeds though, the very same 'feel' I had with stock shifter going into gears - like something gets in the way. With MGW however, its shorter, its stiffer (stronger springs), and therefore many refer as precise.

The Whiteline Bushing benefits mostly at higher speeds/rpm I'm guessing, its kind of difficult to comment since my MGW and WL were done at the same time ;p

Is anyone getting humming noise at highway speeds btw...?
I have the MGW and no humming noises at highway speeds, check your boot. I do not have the WL bushing. Heard it adds some NVH.
Old 4/21/14, 06:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
I was afraid of that. How is nvh with the bushing? Did you modify it at all?
Old 4/21/14, 06:19 PM
GT Member

I've read through tons of these. There is no fix. Bottom line if your lucky like me you have a "decent" one. Mine shifts pretty well (compared to some) but I still have seen issues getting on it and going 4th to 5th. Always thought it was me missing gears.

The MGW helps. Doesn't fix it but does make it seem better. I'm not convinced fluid change is the answer. Also, if you have older car or early 2013 (I think built before july) they had an additive that would help.

I'd consider bringing it to Ford and see what you can turn up. Seems like there is a huge range on how well these tranny's work. I'm in cold weather and have always been able to shift. Never locked out like some so I feel blessed.

Hate to tell you to be squeaky wheel at Ford but maybe that's the answer.
Old 4/21/14, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaStang

I was afraid of that. How is nvh with the bushing? Did you modify it at all?
I get humming similar to... 3.73 gear noise or SC whine-ish (eh, maybe not) noise best heard at over 50mph. The floor vibration that some experiencing, I didn't get.

I am thinking about doing this but... should I?
Why is the MT-82 so hard to get into gear/notchy?-image-4150127642.jpg
Old 4/21/14, 06:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a 2013 GT with MT-82 and it was very inconsistent with the shifts from the start. My 2014 is very smooth in comparison. So much different that I have tried researching to see what Ford changed from model year 13 to 14!!

Any know what changes were made to the MT-82? If any?

Quick Reply: Why is the MT-82 so hard to get into gear/notchy?