Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Who out there with a 2010/11 has hood corrosion?

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/11, 10:19 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who out there with a 2010/11 has hood corrosion?

I was detailing my car Saturday and looked under the hood and saw what looks like the beginning of the dreaded aluminium hood corrision. So far it is in its beginning phase. I googled it and it turns out a lot of mustang owners from 05 on have it. I am going to the dealership in a couple of months to have some warranty paint work done that is unrelated ( I really want to wait until spring to have this done) and I am going to ask the body shop manager about it. From what I have read there is a TSB out there about this but the fix is more than likely a band aid for this problem. I love the power dome hood on the 10/11 mustang so I dont want an aftermarket hood.So far I can live with it as long as it does not creep onto the top of the hood. So since my ten has it and I baby that car to death, I am willing to bet the 11's also have it. So check your hoods and let me know. (P.S. I have not taken any pictures yet)
Old 2/16/11, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can you post some pics of this? There are definitely things that can be done about corrosion on an aluminum surface.

Edit: Also keep in mind that you have a 5 year 60,000 mile corrosion coverage. If you're seeing actual corrosion, definitely have the dealership body shop look at it. It should be covered under your factory warranty.

The underside of the hoods don't necessarily get covered the best with the color paint, but should be coated with an etching primer for aluminum well enough to prevent corrosion.

Last edited by jlmounce; 2/16/11 at 11:16 AM.
Old 2/16/11, 11:40 AM
GT Member

I just took one. Like I said it is not bad at the moment but I really dont want to have the underside of the hood repainted because more than likely they would have to romove the clear bra on the front because of the baking process for the paint. I know eventually i will have this fixed but I only have 4200 miles so far and i just bought my car brand new in June. So i have time left.Who out there with a 2010/11 has hood corrosion?-img00101-20110212-1701.jpg-mustang-pic.jpg
Old 2/16/11, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang-4.6
I just took one. Like I said it is not bad at the moment but I really dont want to have the underside of the hood repainted because more than likely they would have to romove the clear bra on the front because of the baking process for the paint. I know eventually i will have this fixed but I only have 4200 miles so far and i just bought my car brand new in June. So i have time left.Attachment 83554
It is possible these are simply paint bubbles. It does look suspect however and is in line with the corrosion concerns on the 2005 Mustangs as well.

WHen you start seeing hints of corrosion, it's best to nail it early. They may not need to take your clear bra off (and thus having to haggle with ford on replacement) if you get it to them early enough. They may be able to strip just that section of the hood, address any corrosion that is occurring, prime and paint without ever having to touch the top side.

Etching alcohols like MEK along with a sanding or scotch bright pad may be all that is needed. But that will change if you wait.

Definitely get it in now before any real damage is done.
Old 2/16/11, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the same thing on the underside of my trunk towards the edges as well. Been there since new, its hard to see in your pictures but if it's the little bubble looking things towered the fold of the metal it's not corrosion. I'm assuming it has to do with the welding or painting process. But of course bring it to your dealer just to be sure. Maybe I'll do the same.
Old 2/16/11, 12:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by alcarames
I have the same thing on the underside of my trunk towards the edges as well. Been there since new, its hard to see in your pictures but if it's the little bubble looking things towered the fold of the metal it's not corrosion. I'm assuming it has to do with the welding or painting process. But of course bring it to your dealer just to be sure. Maybe I'll do the same.
My wife's new 2011, built 1/7/11, has a pencil eraser sized spot of rust on the inside lip of the trunk, which I found the day we took deivery. The dealership's body shop has already gotten approval from Ford to fix it under warranty. I will be having the work done next, as it appears to be spreading quickly. I guess we need a new thread for trunk rust/corrosion.
Old 2/16/11, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll take a look again.
Old 2/16/11, 06:50 PM

Holy cow....Aluminum isn't exactly an exotic material. I'm surprised this is happening and somewhat concerned since I've got a 2012 GT on order.
Old 2/17/11, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I will have to inspect my stang this weekend
Old 2/17/11, 07:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine looks just like the pictures....on mine it is just some kind of adhesive/sealant or something like that. Have it on the trunk lid also. Cars on the local dealers lot have the same.

When my '07 developed the paint bubbles, you could chip the loose paint from the bubble and see the white corrosion under it. These do not compress and are solid.

Yours may be different, but this is my situation.
Old 2/17/11, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye
Holy cow....Aluminum isn't exactly an exotic material. I'm surprised this is happening and somewhat concerned since I've got a 2012 GT on order.
No, it's not exotic, but much like chrome, nothing wants to stick to it unless it's properly prepared.

The story, as I heard it somewhere around here, goes that Ford dips the hoods into a solution to clean it. This solution gets into the weld lips, and stays in there. The sealer/primer they put on traps this stuff, and it is only a matter of time before it leaches out and lifts the paint off the aluminum.

There is no fix except to get the hood bubbles taken out, reseal the hood and repaint it.
Old 2/17/11, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is the hood supposed to have a clothy padding like sound deadener under it? Because that's what I have across the vast majority of the underside of the hood. Seems like the same stuff in the wheel wells. More curious just to know if everyone else is taking this off to inspect.
Old 2/18/11, 06:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was happy to see the composite hoods on my SN-95 stangs and even happier when I noticed the trunk lid on my '04 (all '99-04) was as well.

The aluminum hood and reverting back to a steel trunk lid on the S-197's were two reasons I was glad I ordered one last SN-95 instead of a 2005.

I knew what I was getting into on the 2011 so considering how much better this car is in just about every other way than any of my SN-95's I'll just deal with it rather than complain.

Am I a little ticked off about the hood & trunk ... YES, but there's nothing I can do about it. I only keep my cars 6 years / 130k miles or so and neither will be that bad or noticable to a buyer when it comes time to sell it.

Doug