Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Well this is weird...

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/14, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TucsonDave
Actually I think it is just the opposite. Try this if you have a manual. Watch your AFR gauge and let your foot off the throttle. You will see the AFR go from around 14 to peg at 20. I think it is actually much more than 20 because all or most of the fuel is being shut off. This is a gas saving technique of the stock Mustang tune. This can be done because the car is still in gear and the clutch is engaged so the engine is still turning over. But, if you were to put it in neutral, or push in the clutch the engine would stall without fuel. Try it and you will see that as soon as you push in the clutch the AFR will immediately go back to 14 indicating fuel is again being added to the mixture to keep the engine from stalling. Sorry, but if the custom tune is causing the stall then the tune is at fault. To say that this is a characteristic of all CAIs is just BS.
Hmm I guess I had the right thought, just backwards. I'll give it a try on the way home, just out of curiosity.
Old 7/28/14, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
OP: it's called the brake pedal. It's the one on the left, since you're driving an auto.
I'm not driving an auto my genius friend. I only put it in neutral to COAST off the speed. As in, enjoy it and save a little gas while I flew down a country road at 90. As I said 3 times already in this thread, I'm new to this. I'm learning. If you feel like being a dick, take it to the nearest bathroom ;-)

Originally Posted by TucsonDave
Actually I think it is just the opposite. Try this if you have a manual. As you are driving, watch your AFR gauge and let your foot off the throttle. You will see the AFR go from around 14 to peg at 20. I think it is actually much more than 20 because all or most of the fuel is being shut off. This is a gas saving technique of the stock Mustang tune. This can be done because the car is still in gear and the clutch is engaged so the engine is still turning over. But, if you were to put it in neutral, or push in the clutch the engine would stall without fuel. Try it and you will see that as soon as you push in the clutch the AFR will immediately go back to 14 indicating fuel is again being added to the mixture to keep the engine from stalling. Sorry, but if the custom tune is causing the stall then the tune is at fault. To say that this is a characteristic of all CAIs is just BS.
I've been doing my research and asking mechanic buddies and they all agree with what you said 100%. I'm gonna go back and forth with Steeda and get this sorted out. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 7/29/14, 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
The throttle body has a pretty solid flapper in it that stops air from going into the intake when you let off the go pedal. I'm sure more air travels through there at 90 then at idle but I wouldn't think enough to kill it at 90. Hey for the fun of it try popping it in N doing 55 and see what happens? if nothing try it at 65. Just wondering at what speed does it start to happen. You should be able to put your car in n at 120 and it shouldn't die tune no tune shouldn't happen. I know many people that hit N and coat to stop signs or just to slow down a bit
Old 7/29/14, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Glenn,

I've been trying to break the habbit (something I picked up driving a beater that would stall in gear without constant gas) but since then I've done it as high as 80ish and no stall out...

As I threaded the topic... it's weird.
Old 7/29/14, 12:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoBlack
Glenn,

I've been trying to break the habbit (something I picked up driving a beater that would stall in gear without constant gas) but since then I've done it as high as 80ish and no stall out...

As I threaded the topic... it's weird.
brakes are less expensive than a clutch. I down shift from time to time but most of the time I shift into N and coast to stop signs. Its not a bad habit at all in my book.
Old 7/29/14, 12:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
brakes are less expensive than a clutch. I down shift from time to time but most of the time I shift into N and coast to stop signs. Its not a bad habit at all in my book.
I was taught to always leave it in gear coming to a stop, in case you need to make a maneuver and need power. Plus, as mentioned above, fuel shuts off as you are decelerating in gear, but for whatever reason, in neutral fuel is still flowing....
Old 7/29/14, 01:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm not driving an auto my genius friend. I only put it in neutral to COAST off the speed. As in, enjoy it and save a little gas while I flew down a country road at 90. As I said 3 times already in this thread, I'm new to this. I'm learning. If you feel like being a dick, take it to the nearest bathroom ;-)
In that case, it's the one in the middle.

When you say you're "putting it in neutral," then you're driving an auto. A stick is either in or out of gear, there is no "neutral," FYI. I have 1-6 and R, no N on my shifter. The autos have an N, so when you use certain terminology, it leads others to believe certain things. You know, just in case you get tired of looking up insults to throw at someone who made a rather valid point and want to continue learning how to drive a vehicle. ;-)

Last edited by kcoTiger; 7/29/14 at 01:13 PM.
Old 7/29/14, 01:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I typically take country side roads on my way home as well. I typically take it out of gear or leave the car in neutral (however you want to be technical about it) and let the car come to a rolling stop as well. I've done this with everything I've driven in the last 9 years and haven't ever had an issue. my driving speed on those roads would have been around 75MPH.

it actually is better though as Patrick has said. These modern cars are more efficient if you just take your foot off the gas and let it roll for many of reasons. but the car also has efficient fuel management techniques by just leaving it in gear and letting it coast on its own just the same.

these cars are being built so safe and idiot proof that anyone should be able to just drive a car and do whatever to it without it having to worry about it stalling out or shutting down by simply taking it out of gear, regardless of what speed you'd be going.... it is weird, yes.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 7/29/14 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 7/29/14, 02:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I typically take country side roads on my way home as well. I typically take it out of gear or leave the car in neutral (however you want to be technical about it) and let the car come to a rolling stop as well. I've done this with everything I've driven in the last 9 years and haven't ever had an issue. my driving speed on those roads would have been around 75MPH.

it actually is better though as Patrick has said. These modern cars are more efficient if you just take your foot off the gas and let it roll for many of reasons. but the car also has efficient fuel management techniques by just leaving it in gear and letting it coast on its own just the same.

these cars are being built so safe and idiot proof that anyone should be able to just drive a car and do whatever to it without it having to worry about it stalling out or shutting down by simply taking it out of gear, regardless of what speed you'd be going.... it is weird, yes.

Not to mention when you have a louder exhaust, you get to hear that awesome decel!
Old 7/29/14, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
In that case, it's the one in the middle.

When you say you're "putting it in neutral," then you're driving an auto. A stick is either in or out of gear, there is no "neutral," FYI. I have 1-6 and R, no N on my shifter. The autos have an N, so when you use certain terminology, it leads others to believe certain things. You know, just in case you get tired of looking up insults to throw at someone who made a rather valid point and want to continue learning how to drive a vehicle. ;-)
You must be kidding. Do you think your pedantry is more accurate than the manufacturer of your transmission? TREMEC seems to think that manual transmissions have a neutral.

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TKO_Ins...ps_117_117.pdf

"There are three electronic connectors on the TKO transmission 1) neutral start switch, 2) Back-up light sensor, and 3) speedometer pick-up. The neutral safety switch can be used to prevent the car from being started while in gear. The pigtail located on the rear of the transmission is an open circuit until the transmission is placed in neutral."

Straight out of TREMEC's TKO installation document. There's no "N" on any manual shift pattern. However, there is still a neutral in a manual transmission. This is common knowledge. Your point wasn't valid. It was wrong.

Last edited by lsxjunkie; 7/29/14 at 02:31 PM.
Old 7/29/14, 04:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Not to mention when you have a louder exhaust, you get to hear that awesome decel!

This is TRUE!

on another note. I think everyone should just focus on helping the OP rather than arguing about who's is bigger.

arguing over meaningless things like does a manual transmission have a neutral position is just ..... .... you know....
Old 7/29/14, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for your support guys.

lsxjunkie, added to my favorite list.

I was taught to always leave it in gear coming to a stop, in case you need to make a maneuver and need power. Plus, as mentioned above, fuel shuts off as you are decelerating in gear, but for whatever reason, in neutral fuel is still flowing....
Well I still roll in neutral up to stop signs etc but I keep my foot on the clutch so I can switch to the appropriate gear if I suddenly need power to maneuver. It takes less time for me to slam it into second than wait for the engine lag at 30MPH to get anywhere in 4th.

I do downshift to engine brake often though.

Steeda is supposed to be getting back to me... nothing as of yet. Hopefully they're testing.
Old 7/29/14, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for your support guys. lsxjunkie, added to my favorite list. Well I still roll in neutral up to stop signs etc but I keep my foot on the clutch so I can switch to the appropriate gear if I suddenly need power to maneuver. It takes less time for me to slam it into second than wait for the engine lag at 30MPH to get anywhere in 4th. I do downshift to engine brake often though. Steeda is supposed to be getting back to me... nothing as of yet. Hopefully they're testing.
Ah I gotcha. I do the same sometimes...
Old 7/30/14, 06:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Steeda is supposed to be getting back to me... nothing as of yet. Hopefully they're testing.
I have spoken to Matt & James at great length in regards to this issue ... and they are indeed testing & looking at the technical information.

As soon as I hear more ... I will keep you posted.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/30/14, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks TJ!
Old 7/30/14, 11:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hello All,

The problem is going to be reviewed with the customer shortly. After he has the information I will post it on the forum.

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 7/30/14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 7/30/14, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

TJ,

I'll be waiting to hear from ya.
Old 7/30/14, 12:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sometimes coast to a stop "out of gear/neutral", but never that fast. Maybe around 40ish at the most. The situation you describe has never happened. Engine is stock. I'm no mechanic, but this used to happen with my 2004 Mazda. It turned out to be a bad mass air flow sensor. The check engine light never came on.
Old 7/30/14, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Just heard from the guys at Steeda and they gave me a run down of what happened. The word is that a very good explanation will be released shortly.

I'm gonna send them some datalogs just to make sure everything is running tip top but I feel pretty comfortable with the explanation.
Old 7/30/14, 01:39 PM
GT Member

Fuel is still flowing in neutral because you still need fuel to keep the engine turning at idle speeds. In gear, the wheels (and drivetrain) keep the engine moving without the need for fuel.

Quick Reply: Well this is weird...