Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Well this is weird...

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/14, 05:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this is weird...

Just installed a Steeda CAI and Steeda custom tune last night and the car has been running great.
This morning on the way to work, I gave her a little gas on a country back road that I never pass anyone on. Well around 90 or so, I dropped it in neutral to roll off the speed and then my battery gage lit up red, the battery icon came on and my oil pressure gage dropped to zip. Still in neutral, I tried to give it a little gas and it seemed like nothing happened. I dropped it in 4th and after a split second of hesitation, she howled back to life.

WTF just happened to me?

Last edited by OnceYouGoBlack; 8/5/14 at 08:05 AM.
Old 7/25/14, 05:47 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoBlack
Just installed a Steeda CAI and Steeda custom tune last night and the car has been running great. This morning on the way to work, I gave her a little gas on a country back road that I never pass anyone on. Well around 90 or so, I dropped it in neutral to roll off the speed and then my battery gage lit up red, the battery icon came on and my oil pressure gage dropped to zip. Still in neutral, I tried to give it a little gas and it seemed like nothing happened. I dropped it in 4th and after a split second of hesitation, she howled back to life. WTF just happened to me?
The engine shut off? Or you saying the car was just free revving in neutral at 90?
Old 7/25/14, 05:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm really not sure, but I think it did. It didn't rev in neutral when the gauges lit up until I dropped it into 4th. I'm guessing I restarted the engine when I put it in 4th?
Old 7/25/14, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I kind of suspect I'm suddenly overpowering the battery. The air conditioner seems to be noticeably cooler. However the battery gauge is just above the midpoint where it usually is.
Old 7/25/14, 06:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
We received your email & Rod is inquiring with Matt, our tune.

We will let you know if we can find out what may have caused this.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/25/14, 07:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Double checked for CE codes thrown... Nada. I guess I overheated or tripped something but I would've expected a code.
Old 7/25/14, 07:35 AM
GT Member

I kind of suspect I'm suddenly overpowering the battery. The air conditioner seems to be noticeably cooler. However the battery gauge is just above the midpoint where it usually is.
the voltimeter / battery gauge is essentially a dummy light. It doesn't show any normal deviation in voltage. It should show if you've gone way over or under, but i've heard of it not.

the engine may have shut off, and when you put it back into gear, rolling started. As a general rule, if the oil pressure drops, the last thing you want to do is rev.

Last edited by spqr; 7/25/14 at 07:37 AM.
Old 7/25/14, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Well here's what the head tuner over at Steeda says:

"Sounds like it stalled. Not usually a good idea to drop into neutral on a 2010+car at 90+ mph.
The turbulence of air coming through the ram air scoop on those cars is incredible at 90mph.
Any cold air kit is going to have issues with that."

------

Just goes to show I still have a LOT to learn. This isn't an easy hobby to get into... but it sure is fun.
Old 7/25/14, 08:01 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ agree.

don't slow down in neutral, esp at those high speeds. Either down shift, or just step on the brake. Assuming you're a potent manual tranny driver, by simply stepping on the brake and slowing down, or just letting off the gas while doing 90 in 6th, you'd know when to either down shift (before bogging) or give it gas, etc. In 6th gear, you should be able to just coast IN GEAR, until maybe you're down to 35 mph or so... so, am not sure why you coasted in neutral at 90 mph. There's no need to.
Old 7/25/14, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Well it drags a fair bit at 90 in 6th, so I just figured I could coast in neutral until I got back to an appropriate speed. Gas saving or something? Just a bad habit I guess...

Now I know better.
Old 7/25/14, 08:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Glad we were able to get trouble shoot it for you ... once again ... thank you for being a Steeda customer & thank you for providing your feedback:

Just installed a Steeda CAI and Steeda custom tune last night and the car has been running great.
Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/25/14, 02:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

"Sounds like it stalled. Not usually a good idea to drop into neutral on a 2010+car at 90+ mph.
The turbulence of air coming through the ram air scoop on those cars is incredible at 90mph.

------

Just goes to show I still have a LOT to learn. This isn't an easy hobby to get into... but it sure is fun.

Why would a CAI have an issues at 90MPH. The GT 500 has one and they don't have issues?

That does not sound right?
Old 7/25/14, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah my mechanic buddy felt that explanation was a bit jivey but we decided to chalk it up to using a canned tune versus a custom dyno tune. Perhaps the Shelby has a smaller intake hole? Or perhaps the Shelby has something in the tune to account for the amount of air coming in?

This stuff is way above my head still... I'm learning as fast as I can though.
Old 7/26/14, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Why would a CAI have an issues at 90MPH. The GT 500 has one and they don't have issues? That does not sound right?
To be fair, when is the last time you heard of a GT500 going 90mph in neutral?
Old 7/27/14, 08:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
To be fair, when is the last time you heard of a GT500 going 90mph in neutral?

You are right. But it still does not make sense Does it???
Old 7/27/14, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
You are right. But it still does not make sense Does it???
Honestly, it kinda does to me. If you're coasting in neutral, the valves should almost be shut, fuel pressure close to zero...coasting at 90mph is ramming air down the engine's throat, with almost no fuel going into the mixture...I would figure the PCM would be smart enough to compensate for that, but it's a scenario that just isn't something they probably tested.
Old 7/28/14, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I had the same problem with my Steeda tune, It would stall out if I let the rpms drop when I was moving. Now tuned by AED and loving it! So much better!
Old 7/28/14, 09:49 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
OP: it's called the brake pedal. It's the one on the left, since you're driving an auto.
Old 7/28/14, 10:02 AM
Cobra Member

------

By the answer they gave you it sounds like well an excuse. I guaranty you the GT500 does not have this issue. That is why I say this does not make any sens to me.
Old 7/28/14, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Honestly, it kinda does to me. If you're coasting in neutral, the valves should almost be shut, fuel pressure close to zero...coasting at 90mph is ramming air down the engine's throat, with almost no fuel going into the mixture...I would figure the PCM would be smart enough to compensate for that, but it's a scenario that just isn't something they probably tested.
Actually I think it is just the opposite. Try this if you have a manual. As you are driving, watch your AFR gauge and let your foot off the throttle. You will see the AFR go from around 14 to peg at 20. I think it is actually much more than 20 because all or most of the fuel is being shut off. This is a gas saving technique of the stock Mustang tune. This can be done because the car is still in gear and the clutch is engaged so the engine is still turning over. But, if you were to put it in neutral, or push in the clutch the engine would stall without fuel. Try it and you will see that as soon as you push in the clutch the AFR will immediately go back to 14 indicating fuel is again being added to the mixture to keep the engine from stalling. Sorry, but if the custom tune is causing the stall then the tune is at fault. To say that this is a characteristic of all CAIs is just BS.

Last edited by TucsonDave; 7/28/14 at 01:14 PM. Reason: correction

Quick Reply: Well this is weird...