Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

TSB concerning aftermarket tuning and modifications

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/11, 11:42 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSB concerning aftermarket tuning and modifications

Ford has finally made an official statement about this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tsb11-07-07[1].pdf (1.67 MB, 2319 views)
Old 7/1/11, 11:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Only time will tell on the wear and tear / durability to handle mods.

Better hope that engine is built Ford Tough...
Old 7/1/11, 11:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Guess I will wait until my warranty is up before I get a tune. The car is plenty fast anyway.
Old 7/1/11, 01:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Christ, Ford, way to stand by your product. If this engine can't handle a simple f***ing tune, then I guess the fears about its durability were well founded.

And I thought they were doing pretty good for a while. Looks like I made a $42,000 mistake.
Old 7/1/11, 01:40 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Christ, Ford, way to stand by your product. If this engine can't handle a simple f***ing tune, then I guess the fears about its durability were well founded.

And I thought they were doing pretty good for a while. Looks like I made a $42,000 mistake.
I believe the opposite is true, Ford has seen how lucrative the aftermarket is, and is trying to compete directly. Here, I think this is more a case of Ford pushing the design limits with their own tune. It is well publicized that the 5.0 factory calibration uses knock sensing to push the timing to the safe limits. This is new since the 5.0 came out, and leaves little room for the tuners to make gains safely. The tuners, who naturally want to have a product to sell, are forced into operating in the unsafe part of the control envelope.

Consider your car to "factory tuned". Nothing more is really needed.

Examples of how Ford has taken the aftermarket mods in house:
- CAI: the air box on the new 5.0 can get air within 2 deg of ambient
- Shifter: - the new BOSS shifter is uses a short throw shifter with helper springs very similar to the MGW shifters.
- Tune: TracKey or FRPP
- Lights: sequential turn signals now standard.

others??

Last edited by PTRocks; 7/1/11 at 01:41 PM.
Mach 1 Member

Looks that way....
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its just a CYA notice.. a Check engine light comes on, reprogram it to stock, then disconnect the battery, turn of and on a few times for the cel to come back, bam, bring it in.. when they ask if you disconnected the battery , tell them yes , that you cleared the code to see if it would come back.
Old 7/1/11, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

So Ford should pay for a failure caused by someone (other than Ford) modifying the car outside the design parameters? What planet are you from? Pretty much every manufacturer has similar disclaimers in the warranty disclosures.

If you want to tune and Mod, put on your big boy pants and assume the responsibility.
The 5.0 appears to be able to handle plenty so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 7/1/11, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
So Ford should pay for a failure caused by someone (other than Ford) modifying the car outside the design parameters? What planet are you from? Pretty much every manufacturer has similar disclaimers in the warranty disclosures.

If you want to tune and Mod, put on your big boy pants and assume the responsibility.
I completely agree. I not quite sure what everyone is going crazy about. This is the way the warranty process has always been in any car of any make. THIS IS NOTHING NEW!!!!!
Old 7/1/11, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

if the mods are not causing the problem it seems like the two key points on the desicion tree involve the customer being foolish enough to bring it in modded or admit its been modded. They did not include exhaust on that list so they cannot use that against you. plus if you remove the mods and the problem goes away they might actually be the cause.
So if your car is modded and you need a warranty engine repair:
If you have hardware mods return car to stock, if asked say no
If you have software mods, return car to stock if asked say no. if asked about battery disconnect you have 2 options: "wanted to clear code" or "sync issues unrelated to engine problem"... actually can they even tell if the battery was disconnected?

personally i wouldnt do any mods beyond exhaust and wheels, appearance, but for those of you out there this isnt the end of the world.

Last edited by xlover; 7/1/11 at 05:37 PM.
Old 7/1/11, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is the Ford Power Pack? anyone hear anything about this package offered by Ford? Do they make one for the Automatic?..How much time did it knock off the 1/4?
Old 7/1/11, 06:48 PM
V6 Member

Has anyone every looked into this because Ford or any other car company can't just void your warranty because of aftermarket parts:

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.

If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.
Old 7/1/11, 07:04 PM
Cobra R Member

I asked my dealer's service advisor for a quote for the dealer to install the FRPP tune (K&N filter plus ProCal/tune) on my 2012. She tried to give me the anti-aftermarket song & dance above. I reiterated to her that it was a frappin' FRPP tune, and she came back with, "we haven't installed any of those before, I'll have to check with the manager to see if we can install something aftermarket like that".

So apparently FRPP = Aftermarket now.
Old 7/1/11, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I asked my dealer's service advisor for a quote for the dealer to install the FRPP tune (K&N filter plus ProCal/tune) on my 2012. She tried to give me the anti-aftermarket song & dance above. I reiterated to her that it was a frappin' FRPP tune, and she came back with, "we haven't installed any of those before, I'll have to check with the manager to see if we can install something aftermarket like that".

So apparently FRPP = Aftermarket now.
They might as well take the F out of FRPP..

That's pretty... lame. I was just going to say no big deal, just buy from FRPP (which I thought should be their motive to remove competition) but guess not
Old 7/1/11, 07:41 PM
Cobra R Member

You should probably rephrase that to "if the engine can't handle a bad tune"
It's not fords fault when they clearly don't support aftermarket tunes. when bone stock 5.0's start popping pistons you can complain about durability

and wow 42g's? lol
Old 7/1/11, 07:49 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Modshack

This x 1,000,000.

When Ford (or any other manufacturer for that matter) engineer something they design the components to survive in specific conditions. They try to balance performance and reliability. While they do take the aftermarket into consideration with performance vehicles such as the mustang, no one can legitimately expect them to warranty aftermarket work. I don't get why people assume otherwise. Why should they warranty something they didn't make?
Old 7/1/11, 09:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
This x 1,000,000.

When Ford (or any other manufacturer for that matter) engineer something they design the components to survive in specific conditions. They try to balance performance and reliability. While they do take the aftermarket into consideration with performance vehicles such as the mustang, no one can legitimately expect them to warranty aftermarket work. I don't get why people assume otherwise. Why should they warranty something they didn't make?

I have to agree. And, Ford is not the only one doing this. Subaru wanted to know if my daughters car had been tuned after the engine self destructed. All the manufacturers are looking at warranty claims due to the enormous costs involved. It then took two months to get the engine rebuilt, yes rebuilt. No new engine on a new car.

If you want to play, be prepared to pay or wait until the warranty expires. By then the engine should be well broken in and any weakness in build quality should have surfaced, and been repaired. Quite honestly, if you are not racing this car, I am at a loss to understand why you would want more power for simple street driving. But that's just me. This thing has more then enough power to get me in trouble.
Old 7/1/11, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gtman2012
Has anyone every looked into this because Ford or any other car company can't just void your warranty because of aftermarket parts:

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.

If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.
Ahh, good luck with this. Bring this to the dealer and he would shove it up your **** with a roman candle on it. The warranty is specific, change the design paramaters for which the car or part was designed for and they can void your warranty.

The Magnuson act was mainly created so a manafacturer couldn't void your warranty because you used a Fram airfilter vs. a Motorcraft.

Dave
Old 7/1/11, 11:11 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

this is the most ignorant post i have read on this board yet.

you called engine calibration "a simple ****ing tune"

Ford engineers spend thousands of hours developing a calaibration that is optimal for the car and the end users (not ONE end user every possible owner is considered) most aftermarket tunes just go in and change a few paramaeters and take several of the saftey nets away so that they can make a few more ponies. If the "tuners" at those shops could find a better balance of HP and saftey guess where they would be working? at the OEM......

way back when engines had big saftey margins. 4.6 2 valves for example used to make 215hp, not exactly pushing the envolpe are they? now they have a 302 making 412hp in one trim and 444 in another. and Ford is an HP war with Chevy and Dodge, the gloves are off and they will make as much HP as possible with a 100% safe calibration. If they could have made more HP SAFELY they would have done it. You want to go outside the KNOWN safe zone, thats fine, go ahead but dont expect Ford to foot the bill!

Under your premise its the same as buying a lawnmower, taking the govener off it and then when the mower company says we wont warranty it you say "man I just made a $500 mistake" get real.

The SEMA act doesnt apply here as the aftermarket part IS the cause of the damage/abusive wear, this nullifies the act. Dont believe me? Take it to court when your engine lets go and tell me how it works out for you
Old 7/2/11, 12:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Some not so good tuning news

Check out these TSB's. It don't look good.
Attached Files
tsb11-03-31.pdf (47.2 KB, 599 views)
tsb11-07-07.pdf (1.67 MB, 386 views)

Quick Reply: TSB concerning aftermarket tuning and modifications