Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Those with Brembo package...

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/10, 02:22 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmatero
As a new owner (first Ford) I have no allegiances to any manufacturer. My goal is to "maybe" drop her an inch and eliminate the bouncy ride without:

1. Adversely affecting cornering (which I think is **** flat and stable as-is)
2. Increasing harshness.
3. Breaking the bank.

So far it seems both the Ford Racing 1" lowering springs (M-5300-P) and Steeda Sport Springs (555-8216) seem pretty safe according to everything I've read on all of these boards. Then you'll also need upper mounts and most say the GT500's work just fine (M-18183-C).

Then, it's a matter of the dampers. Keep in mind I don't track the car and based on shotzy's experience, the Ford Racing Dampers didn't help the bouncy ride on the highway at all. However, the Koni non-adjustable did. Of course, Shotzy also has new sway bars and jounce bumpers. Not sure how important they were to getting to the end result.
Don't forget an adj. Panhard bar with the springs as well. Sounds like the Steeda bar is a solid choice.
Old 12/7/10, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for the Panhard Bar... I've never seen so many conflicting reports on whether or not this is needed when lowering the car (even 1"). Also, when I see "adjustable"... is that something I adjust or does it just mean it's adjustable by the installer in order to achieve some result? Sorry, I'm a little confused by this one.
Old 12/7/10, 02:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the Panhard Bar... I've never seen so many conflicting reports on whether or not this is needed when lowering the car (even 1"). Also, when I see "adjustable"... is that something I adjust or does it just mean it's adjustable by the installer in order to achieve some result? Sorry, I'm a little confused by this one.
From what I've read/heard, the APB is more of a "just in case" thing. You CAN get away with not doing it, but you run the risk of the axle sitting off center after dropping it. If you have it and find the axle out of center, the ability to adjust the length allows you to re-center it.

TacoBill has a how-to somewhere on here that goes in detail on how to check.
Old 12/7/10, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

As a new owner (first Ford) I have no allegiances to any manufacturer. My goal is to "maybe" drop her an inch and eliminate the bouncy ride without:

1. Adversely affecting cornering (which I think is **** flat and stable as-is)
2. Increasing harshness.
3. Breaking the bank.

So far it seems both the Ford Racing 1" lowering springs (M-5300-P) and Steeda Sport Springs (555-8216) seem pretty safe according to everything I've read on all of these boards. Then you'll also need upper mounts and most say the GT500's work just fine (M-18183-C).

Then, it's a matter of the dampers. Keep in mind I don't track the car and based on shotzy's experience, the Ford Racing Dampers didn't help the bouncy ride on the highway at all. However, the Koni non-adjustable did. Of course, Shotzy also has new sway bars and jounce bumpers. Not sure how important they were to getting to the end result.
A few points... The Steeda Sports I use and recommend are NOT the 555-8216's that you find on most sites. That's a progressive spring made by Eibach, I use a linear rate version made by Hypercoil.

As for the dampers. Shotzy had a complete FR3 setup put on the car, in fact I think Rehagen did it as I recall. He contacted me because of some things he read where I felt the dampers could be improved--and he went for it. Clearly he likes it better. I want to point out to my knowledge, there were no other changes made at the same time. The comparison is a direct one between Koni STR.T and FRPP FR3 units. If I'm wrong, I'm sure he'll correct me.

To jump back to your first points:

1. Can be harmed by running springs or dampers that are too stiff and basically make the car hop and skip around. You'll also see that this hurt the ride a lot too.

2. Harshness is more a function of the dampers than the springs. Springs make things stiffer, or more firm--and if you go too far they can be very brutal to drive on. But the cars stock don't deal with impact harshness the best, and that's on pretty tall and soft springs.... that's because the dampers aren't tuned particularly well. And IMHO the FRPP's suffer from a similar issue, pretty abrupt ride quality and at times a bit "crashing".

3. Cost is always an issue. But much like tools from Harbor Freight vs. Snap-On there is a strong correlation between price and performance (meaning anything from durability to warranty, to actually how a part performs). I think that STR.T's are a great value. For that matter, I'd sooner put a set of D-specs on over FRPP dampers (and I in fact did just that way back Feb. 2007 on the Shelby) because they work better, in my opinion, and they offer you some flexibility.

I do have a customer in Detroit named Bob Kwiatkowski. He's had FRPP dampers, D-specs, and Koni's. He's had all those dampers on with various springs as well.... and he prefers the Koni Sports to those others and he ended up running stock springs because he felt that was the best combination for him.
Old 12/7/10, 11:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Can anyone recommend an installer in the SF Bay Area?
Old 12/8/10, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't really want to get dragged into a vendor war. As I think both are very knowledgeable and helpful. And if it wasn't for BOTH of them I am not sure my car would ride as great as it does now.

Rehagen Racing did do the install of the FRPP handling pack. And they did a great job. I really liked how the car cornered and held the road. But it was a little harsh on the bumpy roads I drive everyday. These roads are brutal

But the only thing that I did change from the FRPP handling pack was the dampers to the Koni STR.T. And for me with the roads I drive it is better.

Again we should really thank all these great vendors for sucking all our money dry........er.......I mean givng us invaluable information to make our cars much better.

I still say the best money I spent on my car is the suspension. It totally transformed the ride and I like it better than my 06 M3 in all phases.

When I get my next car I know 2 first vendors I will be calling
Old 12/9/10, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shotzy
I don't really want to get dragged into a vendor war. As I think both are very knowledgeable and helpful. And if it wasn't for BOTH of them I am not sure my car would ride as great as it does now.

Rehagen Racing did do the install of the FRPP handling pack. And they did a great job. I really liked how the car cornered and held the road. But it was a little harsh on the bumpy roads I drive everyday. These roads are brutal

But the only thing that I did change from the FRPP handling pack was the dampers to the Koni STR.T. And for me with the roads I drive it is better.

Again we should really thank all these great vendors for sucking all our money dry........er.......I mean givng us invaluable information to make our cars much better.

I still say the best money I spent on my car is the suspension. It totally transformed the ride and I like it better than my 06 M3 in all phases.

When I get my next car I know 2 first vendors I will be calling
I AGREE, I think that both of them have great knowledge.