Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Steeda 2011 5.0 testing baseline

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/10, 11:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda 2011 5.0 testing baseline

One of our 5.0 test vehicles is now being dyno'd here locally at our facility. Most of the testing we were doing prior to this was with Ford on prototype vehicles.

Our baseline run on our manual transmission car came up with 368hp and 363ft/lbs of torque. Dyno run was done in 5th gear which is 1.1, and this car has 3.31 gears in it.

Many parts will be tested on this vehicle including production candidates for our upcoming cold air intake. Pre-production candidates have already been worked on.

Here is a picture of a pre-production piece below. Any questions or comments feel free to post!

Old 6/10/10, 11:44 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gus we need more pics! Yellow Blaze stang pics are hard to come by
Old 6/10/10, 11:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Looking good bro, I know I am not alone in this, anyway you can get rid of the sound tube? lol it's horrible looking.
Old 6/10/10, 11:49 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Looking good bro, I know I am not alone in this, anyway you can get rid of the sound tube? lol it's horrible looking.
We need that sound tube its functional

You can just plug it up lol

EDIT: Don't forget about this either guys

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
By the way, the first production hoods off the Q650 are in stock. Don't have a great picture of them, but here is a cellphone snap shot of one being boxed. Finish is a black gelcoat finish instead of white like our past hoods.

Normal price will be 649.95, contact me directly for TMS member pricing. I'll be doing a separate post on this later.

Last edited by stangfoeva; 6/10/10 at 11:52 AM.
Old 6/10/10, 11:58 AM
Cobra Member

Having the sound tube optional has been well received with the 2010 cold air and a question we do still get often when customers are shopping and asking us questions on the phone. We will be retaining the sound tube on the 2011 cold air as well.
Old 6/10/10, 11:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva

Gus we need more pics! Yellow Blaze stang pics are hard to come by
Our test car is actually silver. The picture in this thread is a pre-production Steeda CAI sample on a pre-production car at Ford.
Old 6/10/10, 12:01 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Our test car is actually silver. The picture in this thread is a pre-production Steeda CAI sample on a pre-production car at Ford.
Oh ok thanks Gus.
Old 6/10/10, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Any shots of the bottom of that hood?
Tube looks like it keeps a more uniform radius which will be good. I would like to see one that goes down the rabbit hole so to speak into the lower grill area. I have not seen a 2011 yet though so that may or may not be possible. The further away from that heat the better
Old 6/10/10, 12:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The manuel has 363tq yet the autos are only pushing 308(Magna) 326(SCT). Something is wrong with the dyno testing on autos. I can not believe the auto is robbing that much torque.
Old 6/10/10, 01:52 PM
Cobra Member

The answer may lie in gearing. Our car tested in 4th gear which isnt 1 to 1 put down only 336hp at the wheels instead of 368 and the torque was lower too. If the gear the auto was dyno'd in isnt 1:1, it will also produce a lower measured number.

Now our car with 3.31's hits the speed limiter before the rev limiter in 5th. So we may end up using 4th gear for before after power numbers when we are ready to show results, but we will have to explain when that time comes why the baseline numbers are lower. Its because of the gear chosen to take the readings.

Also keep in mind a car with 3.73's will also dyno slightly differently in both 4th and 5th gears. Add on top of that the fact not every dyno reads the same, different days with different weather conditions produce different results, etc and it becomes nearly impossible to make accurate apples to apples comparisons.

That is why discussions on power numbers can become so heated. With questions whether one company or even an enthusiasts dyno number is accurate, what it really means, will it affect performance?... etc... etc...

Last edited by SteedaGus; 6/10/10 at 01:57 PM.
Old 6/10/10, 02:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess the true test will be at the track. One auto went 12.7 and im sure other #'s will be popping up. But if the Auto is running high 12's no way can it be putting down that little tq.
Old 6/11/10, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

We have some numbers now we are ready to release. But first a little background.

In 5th gear this car dyno'd at 368hp but would hit the speed limiter before the rev limiter due to our car being a 3.31 gear equipped car. In 4th gear the car dyno'd at 336hp at the wheels.

We decided to work with the car in 4th gear. As I mentioned earlier in this thread this will produce lower numbers all around, from the baseline number to the final number so they should not be used to compare against other cars.

As mentioned earlier a car with 3.73's will also dyno slightly differently in both 4th and 5th gears. Add on top of that the fact not every dyno reads the same, different days with different weather conditions produce different results, etc and it becomes nearly impossible to make accurate apples to apples comparisons.

That is why discussions on power numbers can become so heated. With questions whether one company or even an enthusiasts dyno number is accurate, what it really means, will it affect performance?... etc... etc...

In addition, with the speed limiter removed and rev limiter increased wheel speeds in 5th were going 170+. As unlikely as it was that a tire would blow out from that wheel speed we decided safety first and did our testing in 4th to keep the wheel speeds safe.

The attached dyno sheet is from pulls done on the same day, on the same dyno, on the same car, all in 4th gear on a manual transmission 2011 5.0 with 3.31 gears. This is the culmunation of over 8 months worth or work both here and with Ford right in Dearborn on pre-production cars. The numbers shown are the result of the cold air and custom tuning. Like our 05-2010 Cold air kits a custom tune/cold air package will be required for these gains.

Peak gains are 44.04 horsepower and 52.84 ft/lbs of torque, with even higher point to point gains. The highlighted point at 5500 shows a gain of 59.83 horsepower and 59.19 ft.lbs of torque. These gains are on 93 octane fuel. The baseline number was on a completely stock car with 87 octane fuel as delivered from Ford.

Any questions and comments are welcome.
Old 6/11/10, 10:44 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Thanks for sharing Gus I'm really excited to see what the Steeda tune and intake can do!

*** waits for the first person to come in and not read your post and say why are the numbers so low?
Old 6/11/10, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

WOW! Great job Steeda! Now go get a tune to fix the limiter problem! This is looking like a nice kit to have!
Old 6/11/10, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like you raised the rev limiter to 7400? Think it has more rev left in it?
Old 6/11/10, 12:07 PM
V6 Member

Those are some great numbers.
Old 6/11/10, 12:35 PM
GT Member

It's always good to see more info, but 32 RWHP HP difference between 4th and 5th gear? That's a pretty big pill to swallow.

I think it would have also been a bit more relevant to show stock 93 octane vs tuned/CAI 93 octane instead of stock 87 octane vs tuned/CAI 93 octane. So that we might draw more accurate conclusions on what your package could provide, what kind of power difference did you see going from 87 to 93 octane while stock?

Thanks.
Old 6/11/10, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD
It's always good to see more info, but 32 RWHP HP difference between 4th and 5th gear? That's a pretty big pill to swallow.

I think it would have also been a bit more relevant to show stock 93 octane vs tuned/CAI 93 octane instead of stock 87 octane vs tuned/CAI 93 octane. So that we might draw more accurate conclusions on what your package could provide, what kind of power difference did you see going from 87 to 93 octane while stock?

Thanks.
If other people are willing to do stock dyno's in different gears they will see similar results. Anytime you dyno in a gear that is numerically higher than 1 to 1 the numbers will be lower. This is actually nothing new. Anybody who has operated a dyno before knows this rule of thumb. I've seen the same effect on 5 speed cars where a dyno was done in 3rd instead of 4th.

They may not see exact same differences we did, but there will be a considerable difference in the measured numbers in different gears.
Old 6/11/10, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by csledd
WOW! Great job Steeda! Now go get a tune to fix the limiter problem! This is looking like a nice kit to have!
Which limiter issue are you referring to? (we saw several different things limiting power while tuning)
Old 6/11/10, 12:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD
what kind of power difference did you see going from 87 to 93 octane while stock?

Thanks.
We saw numbers similar to what SCT is now advertising and is found in another post on this board. Around 27 to 28hp.

Quick Reply: Steeda 2011 5.0 testing baseline