2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Spare Tire Option for 2011 V6 ??

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/11, 01:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
I came looking for a thread here after I posted about this at AFM because someone there asked if there is an issue with the factory acorn lug nuts not working with the spare due to either the mating surface angle OR the studs sticking out too far with the thinner spare wheel.

Just setting a factory nut on the spare the angle seems right but can't be 100% from that. But the factory nuts being closed ended sounds like it might be a problem. But its hard to believe that Ford would not include or mention the need for different nuts if true.

I can picture some Mustang owner who was previously left stranded when he looked under the cover and found no spare (I know, but remember lots of owners don't even check their oil). So he buys this spare kit and motors happily away and later has a minor flat only to discover the lug nuts don't work and now he doesn't even have the inflation kit. LoL
Old 10/13/11, 09:32 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Originally Posted by cinque35
holy cow.
The wheel's not hard to find, any idea what the 18" tire costs?
About $225.00
Old 10/13/11, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I came looking for a thread here after I posted about this at AFM because someone there asked if there is an issue with the factory acorn lug nuts not working with the spare due to either the mating surface angle OR the studs sticking out too far with the thinner spare wheel.

Just setting a factory nut on the spare the angle seems right but can't be 100% from that. But the factory nuts being closed ended sounds like it might be a problem. But its hard to believe that Ford would not include or mention the need for different nuts if true.

I can picture some Mustang owner who was previously left stranded when he looked under the cover and found no spare (I know, but remember lots of owners don't even check their oil). So he buys this spare kit and motors happily away and later has a minor flat only to discover the lug nuts don't work and now he doesn't even have the inflation kit. LoL

I would surmise since the early s197 cars all used the Same Lug Nuts and Most Had Temp Spares there would not be an issue. I believe the New cars equipped with spares do not come with different nuts so logically the kit would not either. I personally have not seen any Ford which came from the factory with different nuts for the spares.

KC
Old 10/13/11, 09:38 PM

I can't give you the dimensions because I threw the box away but as you can see the box is just big enough to wedge the 185/60 R17 tire/wheel in. You'll have to guess at the height. The shipping label say 48 lbs. I don't see dimensions on the label but maybe its coded. The tire and wheel weight 37 according to my bathroom scales. The jack weighs 3 lbs, 1 less than the inflation kit. So a net increase around 36 lbs.
Thanks for the Pic. 47 lbs SIZE {Rated} on I would say a 24x12x24 Box By Eyeballing it.

KC
Old 10/13/11, 09:43 PM

In theory the Salesman is supposed to do a walk around on the car and point out important features. Like Spare tire or lack of{ IN THEORY} that is! I remember a customer Looking at a Bullitt and a Call to Parts asking about the Spare! Glad to come up front and explain! Some things never change!

KC
Old 10/13/11, 10:01 PM

ALA 65 Shelby

For Myself if I was hell bent for a Full Size Spare I would get a Take Off 07-09 Gt-500 Front Wheel & Tire, It would clear any BIG brakes and in my case I never use the back seat anyway. The Front tire would clear the front and the size difference if used on the rear would not be a major issue as long as you replaced it within a reasonable amount of time! I would have to secure it. You would not want that thing loose in an impact. Might be able to only disable one rear seat depending on positioning not sure but worth a try.

Just a Thought!

That is if you don't use your back Seat.

KC
Attached Images  

Last edited by 05stangkc; 10/13/11 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10/14/11, 07:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't give you the dimensions because I threw the box away but as you can see the box is just big enough to wedge the 185/60 R17 tire/wheel in. You'll have to guess at the height. The shipping label say 48 lbs. I don't see dimensions on the label but maybe its coded. The tire and wheel weight 37 according to my bathroom scales. The jack weighs 3 lbs, 1 less than the inflation kit. So a net increase around 36 lbs.
2005-2010 GT's had a 17" ALUMINUM spare wheel with the same 185/60-R17 tire and I believe the 2011-12 Canadian V6's come std. with this same aluminum wheel. The 2010 V6 came with a steel spare wheel but with a smaller 155/70-17 tire. I think it's funny Ford has reverted back to the heavier steel wheel for this OTC kit instead of using the same one they use on the assembly line for the Canadian V6.

The Aluminum Spare Assy. only weighs 28.66 lbs. (UPS Scale) & Jack Kit is 5.30 lbs. so the weight adder on 05-10 GT's and Canadian 11-12 V6 (vs. Air Pump @ 5.46 lbs.) is only 28.5 lbs.

Can't complain a whole lot though ... at least ways they FINALLY are offering a kit for a reasonable price not too far off what it would be from the factory ($150 option on V6 Camaro and 2011 Fleet V6 Mustang).

Doug
Old 10/14/11, 11:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
ALA 65 Shelby

That is if you don't use your back Seat.

KC
Just like the '05 Concept..

Old 10/18/11, 09:34 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by magicman
I ordered mine kit though the FordParts.com web site today. Without the help of NightSteel and 05stangkc I would still be looking.
Hi magicman,

I could not find the kit in www.FordParts.com. The info we have is as follows:
For those customers interested in upgrading this equipment, the parts required to add a mini-spare are listed below and available from the Parts Department at your local Ford or Lincoln dealer. When using a 17" mini-spare tire on a vehicle equipped with 18 inch wheels, please read the information in the Owners Guide regarding precautions to take while using a dissimilar spare tire/wheels combination.
Part Name Part Number
Wheel 9R3Z-1007-A
Valve Stem F42Z-1700-A
Jack 4R3Z-17080-AA
Lug Wrench 4R3Z-17032-AA
Lug Wrench Cover AR3Z-17005-A
"J" Hook W710349-S437
Washer E9SZ-1424-A
"J" Hook Cap 1F1Z-1462-AA
Jack Retaining Bolt W711555-S437
Jacking Instructions (English) 5R3Z-17A083-AA
Mini-Spare Tire Maxxis T185/60/R17

Originally Posted by JJZ109
Does anyone know what brand of spare tire is supplied with the 2011 Mustang GT or 2003-2004 Mercury Marauder? Maxxis does not seem to list either the T195/50-18 or the T155/80-18.
Hi JJZ109,

There is a specific PDL CFB-0446 for the 2004 Marauder that lists:

18"x 8" unpolished forged aluminum wheel is to be used as spare (D17AP).
235/50R18W97 BF Goodrich G-Force tire is to be used as spare (D3MAL).

For the 2011 Mustang GT, I will need you to PM me your VIN.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 10/18/11 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10/18/11, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Sh...art=CR3Z1K007A
Old 10/18/11, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FordCustomerService must have entered the wrong part number as a number of people have ordered the kit and have received it already. Mines on order and I'm just waiting toreceive it.
Old 10/19/11, 09:50 AM

FordCustomerService must have entered the wrong part number as a number of people have ordered the kit and have received it already. Mines on order and I'm just waiting toreceive it.
Thank you, guys! I did not use a part number, I was searching by description. I was trying to search like any other customer would search for it going to the site. You guys are awesome!!!

Deysha
Old 10/21/11, 05:16 PM

Ford Customer Service, if you go back to page two of this thread you will see that NightSteel got the part number for the spare kit from someone at Ford. I wouldn't mind knowing who that person is just to say thank you.
Old 10/24/11, 06:29 AM

Ford Customer Service, if you go back to page two of this thread you will see that NightSteel got the part number for the spare kit from someone at Ford. I wouldn't mind knowing who that person is just to say thank you.
I saw that, magicman. However, you will have to ask him who signed the e-mail. I'm not sure who he contacted in specific.

Deysha
Old 10/24/11, 04:30 PM

Deysha, I don't have a way of contacting him either. I tried going though one of the administrators, but he told me they didn't have any info on NightSteel. Can't figure that one out. Good Luck
Old 10/26/11, 07:20 AM

Deysha, I don't have a way of contacting him either.
I just sent NightSteel a private message for you and included your profile link. I hope he can get a hold of you soon. Have a good one!

Deysha
Old 10/26/11, 11:01 AM

Oh, sorry, I haven't been paying attention to this thread.. I er, don't know if she would appreciate me giving away her e-mail address, but the person who helped me was Teresa R. Wesley, Executive Liaison, FCSD - Contact Center Governance. I've already thanked her myself, but perhaps Deysha would be kind enough to pass on the word from you, magicman!
Old 10/26/11, 08:35 PM

Thank you, Keysha and NightSteel, I agree that Teresa wouldn't like having her email address posted all over this forum. I just don't understand that I had 3 different email discussions with Ford Customer Service and not only of those people could provide me with the part number for the kit. So I don't have any faith in Ford or my local dealers parts department.
Old 10/26/11, 11:37 PM

magicman, I'd say that depends on when you asked. Obviously, the spare tire kit is a recent thing, and anything that Ford was selling before would have been individual parts, even if they called it a kit. If you were asking around much before me, then there just wouldn't have been much in the way of information out there.

I'm just glad Ford *responded* to the demand, eventually, and started selling the comprehensive kit. I just didn't feel 'safe' without a real spare tire, weight savings be damned. I'd rather carry around the extra 35 lbs than worry about being stranded with a tire too shredded to goo, or having to goo a tire that could be patched, and having to replace the TPMS sensor too. I take short road trips a few times a year, and I'm planning on a month-long trip next year, and now I don't have to worry about being caught out and needing a tow.
Old 10/27/11, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by NightSteel
...but the person who helped me was Teresa R. Wesley, Executive Liaison, FCSD - Contact Center Governance. I've already thanked her myself, but perhaps Deysha would be kind enough to pass on the word from you, magicman!
Thank you, Deysha and NightSteel, I agree that Teresa wouldn't like having her email address posted all over this forum.
Originally Posted by NightSteel
magicman, I'd say that depends on when you asked. Obviously, the spare tire kit is a recent thing, and anything that Ford was selling before would have been individual parts, even if they called it a kit. If you were asking around much before me, then there just wouldn't have been much in the way of information out there.
Thank you, NightSteel for the info!! I have forwarded your thank you's to Teresa for you, magicman. Have a great day!!

Deysha

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Option for 2011 V6 ??