2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Skip Shift Anomoly 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/10, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skip Shift Anomoly 2011 GT

I love my 2011 GT and will post some pics tonight or tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have noticed something odd with skip shift. I picked the car up Saturday and never once did the skip shift feature activate. I couldn't even tell that the feature was present until yesterday when driving to work. It seemed like the feature suddenly self activated and at almost every attempt to shift out of first gear, I had to go to fourth. I swear I drove the car no different than I did over the weekend. Now today on the same drive to work driving in the same manner, never once did I have to skip shift or see the dash board light up telling me to shift.

I don't really care about this issue but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this as well.

Greg
Old 7/7/10, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have the car yet, but I certainly didn't notice it on my test drive.

I'll be interested to hear what people say on this subject, because it does worry me. I don't like the idea of the car telling me what gear to be in. I bought a manual so I could make that decision myself. But if it's not an annoyance for most people, I won't worry.
Old 7/7/10, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had mine for 8 days and I can't get it to activate even when I try.
Old 7/7/10, 01:43 PM

It's only happened to me twice and I was shifting at ridiculously low rpms. It was so subtle, it may even have just been a missed shift on my part. But since I don't admit to missing shifts, it must have been the skip shift.
Old 7/7/10, 01:45 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregor111
I love my 2011 GT and will post some pics tonight or tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have noticed something odd with skip shift. I picked the car up Saturday and never once did the skip shift feature activate. I couldn't even tell that the feature was present until yesterday when driving to work. It seemed like the feature suddenly self activated and at almost every attempt to shift out of first gear, I had to go to fourth. I swear I drove the car no different than I did over the weekend. Now today on the same drive to work driving in the same manner, never once did I have to skip shift or see the dash board light up telling me to shift.

I don't really care about this issue but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this as well.

Greg
Same here! It picks random as hell times to come on!

I've seen it start to activate and then turn itself off. It made me miss a shift and grind the gears this morning and it really pissed me. I NEED A DEFEAT FOR THIS NOW

And the solenoid for it makes a crap load of noise when you're shifting into second. I'm considering taking my car in to get it checked out
Old 7/7/10, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe it only activates from 1200 - 2000 rpm. If you hit the info button until the display on the tach is off. You will see it light up when you are in the range of the skip shift even if you dont shift.
Old 7/7/10, 01:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Ebony5.0
It's only happened to me twice and I was shifting at ridiculously low rpms. It was so subtle, it may even have just been a missed shift on my part. But since I don't admit to missing shifts, it must have been the skip shift.
Exact same thoughts here. I've never missed second as well. It was ALWAYS skip shift. Just sayin'.
Old 7/7/10, 01:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Same here! It picks random as hell times to come on!

I've seen it start to activate and then turn itself off. It made me miss a shift and grind the gears this morning and it really pissed me. I NEED A DEFEAT FOR THIS NOW

And the solenoid for it makes a crap load of noise when you're shifting into second. I'm considering taking my car in to get it checked out
I know of a way around the skip ship, like those guys are doing over at Camaro5. Someone posted a thread on how to do it, don't remember where though, but it was to physically bypass something under the tranny with a wire or something. For the time being, i always shift WAYYYY past 3000RPM's to avoid it.
Old 7/7/10, 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Skip shift only activates under very specific circumstances. First, the engine must be fully warmed up. Then you have to come to a complete stop, and then accelerate to between 15 and 20 MPH while still in 1st. At this point you should get the Shift 1 to 4 for better economy. I've noticed it come on a few times, usually only when I'm going slow because I have a turn up ahead and just wanted to go into 2nd to get there without burning so much gas. I always notice it and just rev it up and get past 20 MPH to turn it off.
Old 7/7/10, 02:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Stupid question: What in the WORLD is this skip shift you speak of? I ordered a 3.73 manual GT, so does this affect me??
Old 7/7/10, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OBleedingMe
Stupid question: What in the WORLD is this skip shift you speak of? I ordered a 3.73 manual GT, so does this affect me??

All manual tranmission GT's have it. The transmission locks out 2nd and 3rd gear if certain parameters are met. This is to improve gas mileage.
Old 7/7/10, 02:22 PM

IN order to get better fuel economy, the "skip shift" function prohibits you from shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear. You'll physically feel the shifter want to move to 4th.

As mentioned, it is normally easy to avoid by merely running the revs above 2,000.

Soon enough there'll be a bypass we can all buy for $20 that will defeat this feature. Corvettes and Camaros have this so don't let it get you down. The car is more than worth it.

Greg
Old 7/7/10, 02:24 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Skip shift in our cars is in the PCM, not as simple as the plug and play of the tremec units
Old 7/7/10, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's very annoying. It won't happen on a test drive because the car won't be warm enough. I am eagerly awaiting an eliminator. Still, given the choice between a gas guzzler tax and skip shift, I'll take the $20 fix over the $1000 tax every time.
Old 7/7/10, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
Skip shift in our cars is in the PCM, not as simple as the plug and play of the tremec units

So flash tuner will be needed to disable it?
Old 7/7/10, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
Oh no.
Old 7/7/10, 02:56 PM
Cobra R Member

I've had my car for nearly a month and over 1000 miles of driving and I've only rarely had the skip-shift rear its ugly head. I'm fine with living with it.

I recall seeing a test very recently between the 2010 Camaro SS and the 2011 GT (Motor Trend I believe) where they observed the GM skip-shift was much more instrusive than the Ford's.
Old 7/7/10, 03:01 PM
V6 Member

Had mine for over a month. Never had a problem.
Old 7/7/10, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
It's very annoying. It won't happen on a test drive because the car won't be warm enough. I am eagerly awaiting an eliminator. Still, given the choice between a gas guzzler tax and skip shift, I'll take the $20 fix over the $1000 tax every time.

Gas guzzzler tax - what a JOKE. If I, the consumer, chooses to purchase a truck or performance vehicle with low gas mileage, I alone bear the fuel cost of that vehicle. There are ZERO third-parties affected. If the general public wants higher MPG vehicles, they will purchase them. This tax accomplishes nothing but give the environmentally conscious a false feeling of accomplishment.
Old 7/7/10, 03:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Gas guzzzler tax - what a JOKE. If I, the consumer, chooses to purchase a truck or performance vehicle with low gas mileage, I alone bear the fuel cost of that vehicle. There are ZERO third-parties affected. If the general public wants higher MPG vehicles, they will purchase them. This tax accomplishes nothing but give the environmentally conscious a false feeling of accomplishment.
+1 to that. ^^^

Quick Reply: Skip Shift Anomoly 2011 GT