2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Shifting gates....... ****

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/13, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Please keep in mind that remote shifters are not designed with performance driving in mind. Their set up to allow adequate operation with the least amount of NVH. It's built by the lowest bidder with the cheapest available material, so don't expect gold from dog crap.
I myself was coming from a T56 LS1 F-body with urethane motor/trans mounts a Hurst Billet Plus and a ZR1 twin disc. The MT82 took some getting used to but the shifter left a lot to be desired. Daily usage was ok but full on throttle upshifts where near impossible. The MGW shifter solves all the shortcomings of the factory setup period. I'm Old School I've driven all the old Muscle 4 speeds the newer 5 speeds and 6 speeds and the MGW gives me the same feeling of all those trans mounted shifters.
It may not be for everyone but it was right for me.
Old 4/7/13, 08:15 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
M G W
This should end this thread.

As stated,

M G W
Old 4/7/13, 08:29 AM
I Have No Life

In addition, I swapped out my stock shifter for the MGW from 400 miles on. So, I never really got to experience the shifting issues most of you talk about. I guess that's a testament to just HOW GOOD the MGW is. Over 4k miles and almost 2 years later, it's almost like I have become one with it. I don't even think about it.... Just how much I love it lol. Snick snick snick, pure shifting orgasm.

MGW ftw.
Old 4/8/13, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never even come close to putting the car into 3rd instead of 5th... Work on your shift method. Should be pushing right and up. If you're going right it's hard to miss.
Old 4/8/13, 07:05 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Rando
I've never even come close to putting the car into 3rd instead of 5th... Work on your shift method. Should be pushing right and up. If you're going right it's hard to miss.
This.....

In fact the only time I actually push right is if I WANT 5th. The spring should center the shifter enough for him to push up into 3rd.
Old 4/8/13, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
get over it people. nearly 10k on my '13 and I didn't like it the first week. I was also coming from a Tremec T-56'd LS2 GTO with a GM Motorsports Street shifter with Lou's Short stick shift arm and a hurst ball. Yeah, it shifts totally different. I'm over it now, and don't mind the stock shifter. Sure I *might* change eventually, but for now, it's fine.
LOL I had 2 06 GTOs. The second one had GMM with some member's machined Hurst handle adaptor and a black ball and chrome stick and Amsoil in the the trans. It was like cycling a Remington 700.

Last edited by lsxjunkie; 4/8/13 at 07:22 AM.
Old 4/8/13, 09:12 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some people just shouldn't drive manual. It's not as literal as it sounds. You don't need to MANUALLY move it into where you think third is (I've seen people do this). If you're in second, just push it straight up from the bottom with your middle finger and it'll naturally go into third until you get used to it. Going from fourth to fifth you know it's the last one on the right so push it to the right and then up, just like first is all the way left and then up.

I can't believe I Just explained this...

edit: FYI I've never had a problem shifting into any gear in this 2014 or my 2013. Ever. I've driven manual since 1990 in foreign vehicles as well. It's not as problematic as some have described.

Last edited by Shhhh; 4/8/13 at 09:14 AM.
Old 4/8/13, 09:21 AM
V6 Member

I really don't understand why so many people have trouble with this shifter. I came from three evos that all had way different shifters. I'm now sitting at 200 miles on 2014 gt and I learned easily how to hit third gear each time. Give it time and practice.
Old 4/8/13, 10:18 AM
V6 Member

So... everyone that replaces their shifter and has better luck getting into gears is just experiencing a placebo effect then?

If it improves to the point people don't have problems any more, then how can you say their stock shifter did not have any problems?

If you have problems with A, so you replace it with B and problem goes away, well then... X must have been causing it!

I am happy for the people that don't have any problems with their factory shifter. It means you don't have to spend any money. Hurrah for you! However, how can you just dismiss others problems are just "lern to drive n00bz!!" or just saying this transmission is "different". Well, if it is "different" then i want it fixed to be just like what i would expect out of a $40k sports car where i don't have to stroke it gently and blow it kisses when i want it to go into 3rd on a hard acceleration.
Old 4/8/13, 10:42 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sieran
So... everyone that replaces their shifter and has better luck getting into gears is just experiencing a placebo effect then?

If it improves to the point people don't have problems any more, then how can you say their stock shifter did not have any problems?

If you have problems with A, so you replace it with B and problem goes away, well then... X must have been causing it!

I am happy for the people that don't have any problems with their factory shifter. It means you don't have to spend any money. Hurrah for you! However, how can you just dismiss others problems are just "lern to drive n00bz!!" or just saying this transmission is "different". Well, if it is "different" then i want it fixed to be just like what i would expect out of a $40k sports car where i don't have to stroke it gently and blow it kisses when i want it to go into 3rd on a hard acceleration.

The issue is how it Feels.. thats not how it operates. It makes it Feel more solid and that makes the shifting Feel better.

Its like a new pair of shoes that doesnt fit everyone just right. Some people put the shoes on and they are fine or they simply get used to the shoes. Some people buy inserts to replace the stock ones. But in the end the shoes still workt he same... they just Feel different.
Old 4/8/13, 11:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Sieran
... i would expect out of a $40k sports car where i don't have to stroke it gently and blow it kisses when i want it to go into 3rd on a hard acceleration.
I think it's safe to say that none of us do that when we go into 3rd with the stock shifter And if you can't figure out 3rd vs 5th then yes it's a learn to drive issue. I would bet $ I could ride in the car with you and spot exactly what you're doing wrong... you of course would never admit it and talk about the previous thing that you drove.

But in the end I hope whatever you end up doing works out for you and you get to enjoy your car.
Old 4/8/13, 11:57 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Shhhh
And if you can't figure out 3rd vs 5th then yes it's a learn to drive issue. I would bet $ I could ride in the car with you and spot exactly what you're doing wrong... But in the end I hope whatever you end up doing works out for you and you get to enjoy your car.
???

Did you even read the thread or know who is who? That is the OP's issue. I have no problem telling 5th from 3rd.

I already said my solution, I ordered a MGW shifter.

Tired of the same people telling others over and over they don't know how to drive.

/thread for me.
Old 4/8/13, 12:00 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
a common theme? thats odd
Old 4/8/13, 12:13 PM
MOTM Committee Member

there's also some sort of placebo effect going on too me thinks. People read this, miss a shift, and then immediately think it's the trans and not them.

Just practice or buy an MGW
Old 4/9/13, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you use the technique of using different hand positions to guide the shifter into the desired gear, you won't run into the problem of getting the wrong gear that can happen when you just grab the shift **** on top (as so many people do).

Shifting from 1st to 2nd place your hand to the right front of the shifter (about 1:00 position) and pull back:

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd turn your hand over, position it at the left rear of the shifter (about 7:00 position) and push forward:

Shifting from 3rd to 4th turn your hand over, position it to the front right (between 11:00 and 12:00) and pull back:

Shifting from 4th to 5th turn your hand over, position it at the left rear of the shifter (about 7:00 position) and push forward and somewhat right:

Then 6th is available by placing your hand at the left front of the shifter (about 11:00 position) and pulling back to the right:

Downshifting is done in a similar manner except that you are placing your hand mostly on the right side (front or rear) of the shifter so that you guide it naturally toward the left as you go down through the gears - much like the position shown above for going from 1st to 2nd.

I have used this technique since I was taught it 40 years ago and I can't remember ever ending up in the wrong gear in any car or truck regardless of whether I was familiar with it or not. EDIT: actually, I did end up in the dreaded double neutral once while driving a twin stick truck - but I think everybody who has ever driven one has done that at least once.

(Thanks to UUC Motorwerks for the photos.)

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 4/9/13 at 09:04 AM.