2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

radio clear plastic lens

Old 11/28/10, 09:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radio clear plastic lens

Just noticed while cleaning the inside of my car this morning that the radio lens has some very fine scratches on it. I've cleaned it twice i think, and very very lightly with foam window cleaner. I can't believe how fast these can scratch even when being very carefull. I've tried McGuiar plastic lens scratch remover, but nothing will do. Has anybody changed theirs yet !
It looks like an easy job from what i can see. My alarm system keypad lens if of much better quality....that sucks. Too much plastic content in those lenses, they should use more glass.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 11/28/10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11/28/10, 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dan, here are a couple of threads that discuss this topic.

https://themustangsource.com/f726/th...477337/index3/

https://themustangsource.com/f803/ra...removal-484904
Old 11/28/10, 01:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thx Randy for those links, i may go the protective clear film route, which is basically the only alternative if you don't want to invest $500 on a new head unit . That still sucks though, this perticular lens should be glass.
Old 11/28/10, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. I thought I was being **** again but yes I have scratches also, definitely from dealer prep. I'll buy a Zagg iPad screen protector and cut it down to fit the sync display and see if that helps.
Old 11/28/10, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

dan,
I put protective film on the EP.. 1 week after buying it..
no fingerprints or scratches.. since
Old 11/28/10, 04:26 PM
V6 Member

I haven't used this product but it may be worth a try:
http://www.janvil.com/plastic_polish.htm
Old 11/28/10, 05:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. I thought I was being **** again but yes I have scratches also, definitely from dealer prep. I'll buy a Zagg iPad screen protector and cut it down to fit the sync display and see if that helps.
That's a great idea there Paul, i'll go check on that ipad screen protector or just drop by my tint window shop to get a piece of 3M clear film.
Old 11/28/10, 05:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've noticed this as well. Just can't ever remember while on computer. I now keep my Meguiars stuff & a micro-fiber in the back seat just for this! Next time I go to my tint guy, I will have him do this. I was looking on a site I have bought from in the past. What does this do?

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/ad...or/in9530.html

I thought it might go over that part? Sorry, not good @ understanding certain stuff. That doesn't tell me anything! I added all the billet pieces to my 95. Don't want to add anymore to this car. Thought it may be that? Thanks!!
Old 12/1/10, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's another link to a thread regarding the radio display...

https://themustangsource.com/f659/ra...emoval-484905/
Old 12/1/10, 03:35 PM

Wish I had known about this. Somebody put a finger print on the display, then I - gasp - tried to wipe it off with the sleeve of my sweatshirt. Now it looks ******* atrocious.
Old 12/1/10, 04:18 PM
V6 Member

I have this same problem in my 5.0 and 2010 Taurus.
Old 12/1/10, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Does anybody know if there is a template for the display or the dimensions ? I want to trace it out on the ipad zagg screen protector and cut it out. Or Ill get some tracing paper and make one myself but that wont be till this weekend and probably tedious process.
Old 12/1/10, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have scratches, too... but not as bad as on my Taurus. That was bad enough that I went back the next day to complain. Dealer said they can't replace just the cover, must be the whole radio. And when they ordered one, it was worse out of the box than what I have. Dealer said they've had a LOT of problems with those. I'm still waiting patiently for them to call me and tell me they've got another one. It's been almost a year now.
Old 12/1/10, 06:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Does anybody know if there is a template for the display or the dimensions ? I want to trace it out on the ipad zagg screen protector and cut it out. Or Ill get some tracing paper and make one myself but that wont be till this weekend and probably tedious process.
Paul, i just got the same ipad zagg film protector today, will probably be installing it this week-end. I will install it on the radio display, and then cut it out around the outside edges with a very sharp exacto blade. Bezel will cover any excess film once installed. This thing ain't cheap.....$29 at Best buy.
Old 12/1/10, 07:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Do not try to create a template for the rounded opening. Simply remove the front face plate, it only takes about 5 minutes. Once removed, measure the square lens and cut something out that is a little smaller. That is what I did.

Last edited by Adam; 12/1/10 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12/1/10, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Paul, i just got the same ipad zagg film protector today, will probably be installing it this week-end. I will install it on the radio display, and then cut it out around the outside edges with a very sharp exacto blade. Bezel will cover any excess film once installed. This thing ain't cheap.....$29 at Best buy.
Yea, tell me about it. The good thing is that its big enough to get a few tries out of it if you screw it up the first time.

Originally Posted by Adam
Do not try to create a template for the rounded opening. Simply remove the front face plate, it only takes about 5 minutes. Once removed, measure the square lens and cut something out that is a little smaller. That is what I did.

I'm always nervous taking apart the inside of the car always worried it wont go back on the right way or it will start rattling after I touch it. That would be a 1000 times easier if I did do it your way and the right way to do it.
Old 12/1/10, 08:20 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm always nervous taking apart the inside of the car always worried it wont go back on the right way or it will start rattling after I touch it. That would be a 1000 times easier if I did do it your way and the right way to do it.
It's seriously a no brainer. Watch this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-cu5efYlUw
Old 12/1/10, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Adam
It's seriously a no brainer. Watch this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-cu5efYlUw
That does look easy, I have an auto so i'm going to have to remove the shifter not unscrew a shift ball. Let me google and see how to remove it.

Thanks Adam.
Old 12/1/10, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Will the bezel sit correctly if you simply cover the entire display?
Old 12/1/10, 09:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Will the bezel sit correctly if you simply cover the entire display?
Yes, it's perfectly fine. The stuff is very thin.

Just an FYI, the stuff by Zagg has an orangepeel texture, it's not perfectly smooth. Ghost Armor that I put on my Droid X has a smoother finish.

Last edited by Adam; 12/1/10 at 09:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: radio clear plastic lens