2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Question to those with GT500 mufflers

Old 3/30/14, 05:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Got these sitting in the basement for when the car gets here. I'm rapidly closing in on 40 (I'm 37) but if I want louder I'll probably slap on some Boss sidepipes and gradually open up the hole in the baffle until I hit the volume or sound that I want. Same price as trying a different set of axlebacks anyways!
The side pipes add a whole new dimension to the overall experience, way better than the wife's stock GT...

Old 3/30/14, 05:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dude, that is ANGRY.
Old 3/30/14, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
The side pipes add a whole new dimension to the overall experience, way better than the wife's stock GT...

2013 Boss 302 Mustang demo of GT500 Mufflers on Vimeo
What happened to your door panel?
Old 3/30/14, 11:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
What happened to your door panel?
"Removed for speaker install" lol
Old 3/30/14, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
For hose of you who installed the GT500 mufflers on yourself I have 2 questions:
1) Did you remove the hangers?
2) If not, did you have to remove or loosen the mid-pipes?

My GT500 axlebacks have been siting in the basement since December. Yesterday I tried putting them on. I was able to remove the stock mufflers, but I got stuck trying to put the GT500's on with the hanger brackets attached. That middle bolt is FRIKKIN IMPOSSIBLE to put on due to less than an inch of clearance. So after a few failed attempts I removed the hanger brackets from the new axlebacks, and I bolted them back on to the car. Then I tried to wrestle the axlebacks into the hangers and after a while decided I should live to fight another day. I feel like to mid-pipe is in the way.

Now I'm doing research preparing for "round 2" so any advice on how to best mount those things would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

P.S. I L_O_V_E how angry and loud the car is without mufflers. Lol, sounds BADA$$

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/30/14 at 03:52 PM.
Old 3/30/14, 03:56 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
For hose of you who installed the GT500 mufflers on yourself I have 2 questions: 1) Did you remove the hangers? 2) If not, did you have to remove or loosen the mid-pipes? My GT500 axlebacks have been siting in the basement since December. Yesterday I tried putting them on. I was able to remove the stock mufflers, but I got stuck trying to put the GT500's on with the hanger brackets attached. That middle bolt is FRIKKIN IMPOSSIBLE to put on due to less than an inch of clearance. So after a few failed attempts I removed the hanger brackets from the new axlebacks, and I bolted them back on to the car. Then I tried to wrestle the axlebacks into the hangers and after a while decided I should live to fight another day. I feel like to mid-pipe is in the way. Now I'm doing research preparing for "round 2" so any advice on how to best mount those things would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone. P.S. I L_O_V_E how angry and loud the car is without mufflers. Lol, sounds BADA$$
I removed the hangers/stock mufflers and switched them to the GT500's off the car.....I remember the middle bolt being a major pain and taking a while, but eventually getting it off. A ratcheting wrench is really what you need to do that easily.
Old 3/30/14, 03:59 PM
GT Member

Also, this is the article I used when I did mine.....

http://blog.stangmods.com/installing...rd-mustang-gt/
Old 3/30/14, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jp1seattle
I removed the hangers/stock mufflers and switched them to the GT500's off the car.....I remember the middle bolt being a major pain and taking a while, but eventually getting it off. A ratcheting wrench is really what you need to do that easily.
What size is that bolt? I'll be doing this one in the driveway as well and I'll happily buy another tool if its a size I don't have.
Old 3/30/14, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I did not remove the muffler hangers.
I just installed mine on Thursday, took me about an hour and a half.
I removed the brace that is above the pan hard bar, after that there was just enough room to squeeze it in.
The passenger side muffler was easier than the drivers side.
I did it with out a jack or stands, just put a towel down and slide under there!
You can do it!

Last edited by ElkGroveFordGuy; 3/30/14 at 04:01 PM.
Old 3/30/14, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually from the pics at that link, once you've unbolted the clamp, and taken off the rear hanger by the bumper, it LOOKS like you could pull the whole muffler towards the back of the car an inch or two to get better access to all the bolts on the bracket.
Old 3/30/14, 04:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
What size is that bolt? I'll be doing this one in the driveway as well and I'll happily buy another tool if its a size I don't have.
13mm and I definitely have one now!

For my spring/shocks install, I made sure to search the how-to articles and videos to make sure I have everything I'll need other than a spring compressor before I start. My problem over the years has always been starting the job and then not being able to find or not having the right size tool on hand.
Old 3/30/14, 04:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

13mm and I definitely have one now!

For my spring/shocks install, I made sure to search the how-to articles and videos to make sure I have everything I'll need other than a spring compressor before I start. My problem over the years has always been starting the job and then not being able to find or not having the right size tool on hand.
I feel your pain. From a previous car I've got a 10/11 mm ratcheting wrench and a 14/15mm, guess I've got the excuse I need to get the one in between. You made my day.
Old 3/30/14, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey man. Nice ride. I am in southern NH. Where a outs are you? I am in manchester off Boswell rd. right near Londonderry.
Old 3/30/14, 08:45 PM
Cobra Member

I'm a few miles west of New England Dragway off 27 in Epping. Right now I'm rocking my winter Marquis, hopefully start driving the Boss again soon. Should have the stereo install finished in a few weeks, just have to find a budget friendly Kenwood Excelon head unit. This week I will post up my audio build thread, I must have over 100 pix of the various steps and parts...

Luckily my neighbor has a nice loud motorcycle, so he tolerates my winter time 'battery charging'.

I try and get to Murphy's Taproom in Manchester for 2$ drafts once a month on Friday. That will be your best chance to compare Mustangs if you wish. I love the patio they built out of the old parking lot, great way to spend a sunny Friday afternoon once the weather warms up.
Old 3/31/14, 06:33 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
The side pipes add a whole new dimension to the overall experience, way better than the wife's stock GT... Video Link: http://vimeo.com/89867737
The question is how does that odyssey minivan sound
Old 3/31/14, 06:46 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Yes, I think I'll be adding a 13mm ratcheting wrench to my tool kit. Thanks.

I did not remove the muffler hangers.
I just installed mine on Thursday, took me about an hour and a half.
I removed the brace that is above the pan hard bar, after that there was just enough room to squeeze it in.
The passenger side muffler was easier than the drivers side.
I did it with out a jack or stands, just put a towel down and slide under there!
You can do it!
ElkGrove,
You were able to squeeze them on? Nice. Did you have to remove the panhard brace completely from both sides?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Round 2 will be in a week or so.
Old 3/31/14, 05:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
The question is how does that odyssey minivan sound
Just a little meaner than my 97 Gand Marquis. That's the wife's winter driver and all around cargo beast. 10yrs old and 245k miles, still kickin' even after my youngest daughter dented about every body panel on it...

Last edited by ace72ace; 3/31/14 at 05:53 PM.
Old 3/31/14, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw a video where the installer removed the mid pipes as well, but he was on a lift. Looked a little easier and when I replace mine I am replacing the mid pipes as well with GT500 mid pipes so the resonators are gone. Now I just have to find a lift!
Old 3/31/14, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
I saw a video where the installer removed the mid pipes as well, but he was on a lift. Looked a little easier and when I replace mine I am replacing the mid pipes as well with GT500 mid pipes so the resonators are gone. Now I just have to find a lift!
Just curious, where'd you find those mid pipes? Just buy em from a dealer? Used? Online? I don't like permanent mods I can't undo if I don't like them....even if it's two years later.
Old 3/31/14, 08:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sounds wicked!! If i get my new 2014 I'll have to install the Boss 302 exhaust kit I have in my garage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question to those with GT500 mufflers