Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pro-tip of the day :) Lowered 2011 GT doesn't like driving over curbs :)

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/11, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro-tip of the day :) Lowered 2011 GT doesn't like driving over curbs :)

So I missed a turn yesterday and made a quick left into a parking lot to turn around. Once I pulled in I made a quick right to make a left hand turn around in the parking lot and I never saw the 10 inch wide curb they had there to separate the entrance from the parking spot there

Needless to say there was the horrifying initial thud then grind as the front right wheel went over and grinding noise then thud as the back tire went over. I was probably doing about 15 mph or so and by the time I processed and reacted to it it was over and I jumped out to inspect the damage. I was iexpecting a popped tire, bent rim, crunched lower fascia all that flashed through my mind.

Well my initial look, nothing.. tires, rims fascia were all how they should be. I got down and looked under the ground and part of the frame was scraped but nothing looked bent or broken.. whew!!!!

So I got the car on the highway and got up to about 85 or so to see how she felt, no shaking, alignment seemed fine, stayed on course when I let go of the wheel.

Needless to say I am very relieved!!!!!!

But I have noticed a slight squeak when I go over certain bumps so I am going to take it to my friends shop and get it on the lift and take the tires off and have him inspect the suspension to make sure it is all good.

I think what really saved me was the curb wasn't a true flat faced curb like on the edge of a road, it was tapered some on both sides so the impact was lessened some.

That was my exciting day
Old 10/25/11, 11:53 AM
GT Member

Thank you for sharing O_o
Old 10/25/11, 11:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good news! I was parking garage @ a hospital, a small curb came out of no where!! I ran up on it, felt like 3' tall? Prob only 3", though. It was too dark to see stuff right there. I got to a light, no damage.

& mine is still @ stock height. Bet you knew it was jacked up! Glad we're tough!!
Old 10/25/11, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Get some paint on any bare metal under there; also, your squeak is more than likely the front lower control arms (the bushings, more specifically), for which there is a TSB for replacement.
Old 10/25/11, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by J1000
Get some paint on any bare metal under there; also, your squeak is more than likely the front lower control arms (the bushings, more specifically), for which there is a TSB for replacement.
Good idea on paint as I do drive it year round and do you know TSB number by chance?

Thanks,
Griff
Old 10/25/11, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

That happened to me the other day. I'm lowered on Steeda Ultra-lites, and was taking a right at a stop sign. The road was kind of narrow and there was a car in the lane I was turning into, so I made a (way) too tight turn up onto the curb. Heard a horrible scraping/grinding noise, and I assumed it was the wheels grinding against the curb. Got out to inspect - no wheel damage, but it was clear I scraped the black trim piece on the under side of the car. Oops.
Old 10/25/11, 08:33 PM

Not as bad as when I saw a girl drive off a curb at a gas station and her Beemer got stuck there. She just kept spinning her tires but she wasn't going anywhere.

That curb is very deceiving. It looks like a regular driveway to exit the gas station. I've seen no less than 5 cars drive right off it. The last victim was an Accord who went right over it and slammed the rear bumper down on it.

Of course, everyone is always too embarrassed to stop and check for damages so they speed off hoping no one noticed.
Old 10/25/11, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Grifftech
Good idea on paint as I do drive it year round and do you know TSB number by chance?

Thanks,
Griff

Did a little research..here it is:

TSB 11-7-8
Old 10/25/11, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Grifftech

Thanks,
Griff
TSB 11-7-8

https://themustangsource.com/f804/se...-11-gt-497368/
Old 10/25/11, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to me. Went to flip a U and cut it too close, went up and over the curb, heard the same grinding sounds you did. I was amazed to find no noticeable damage as well!