2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil, oil changes, and oil filter discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/12, 05:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That explains the mirage of #$$@ all in one thread.
Old 10/8/12, 06:39 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bucko
That explains the mirage of #$$@ all in one thread.
There was no reason for several people to start posts on the same or very similar topics without looking around.
Old 10/8/12, 10:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jocatch
I am going to have Ford do the first oil change as I know from experience that many times the oil filter from the factory is on so tight you practically have to destroy it to get it off.

Joe C
My original oil filter was hand-tight on the 1st oil change on both my '11 5.0 and my '12 5.0. Just sayin.
Old 10/8/12, 10:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
There was no reason for several people to start posts on the same or very similar topics without looking around.
I'm with you, and wish you luck on this! There's always going to be duplicated oil threads, HID, oil filter, and "what exhaust is best" threads.

But your efforts are commendable!
Old 10/8/12, 10:48 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with you, and wish you luck on this! There's always going to be duplicated oil threads, HID, oil filter, and "what exhaust is best" threads.

But your efforts are commendable!
It's a start. Now, if we could just get people to start threads in the proper sub forums...
Old 10/8/12, 04:00 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost

It's a start. Now, if we could just get people to start threads in the proper sub forums...
Good luck with that..heck I'm guilty of that sometimes. Whoops! Sorry about that
Old 10/9/12, 11:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Echoing experiences of 11+ oil eating. Been meaning to check my oil for a month after reading about this, but have been in and out of appointments, without my car for days at a time and kept forgetting in-between. Finally checked yesterday and was down two quarts in 5k miles since I switched out at 1.5k. Possible the dealer put in 6 instead of 8? I guess, but I gave them 8 quarts and got nothing back, so Im guessing they filled correctly.
Old 10/9/12, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jouster
O.K. ..... so if you talk to the Lucas guy, he'll say sure, use my oil.
If you talk to the Amsoil guy, he'll say my oil is the BEST!
If you talk to an old oilman, he'll say break your Boss in with Ford oil, then the world is your oyster!
Lucas should be a good choice, especially in hotter Summer weather.
I've used it in Harley's for years, especially the fuel additive.
Ford offers the lower API, and therefore better for cold Winter driving.
Good Luck!
Speaking of Harleys, their oil is like $20 a quart. Biggest rip off I've ever seen.
Old 10/11/12, 05:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rando
Speaking of Harleys, their oil is like $20 a quart. Biggest rip off I've ever seen.
As a Harley owner for years, I can recall when they said not to use synthetic oil in their engines. Then a few years later, they start selling it.

Go figure.
Old 10/14/12, 08:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Question for guys that have done oil changes on their 5.0s - does your drain plug thread in & out a little oddly? By oddly, I mean, it goes in by hand easily until about 2/3, then needs a wrench, then goes in easy again for a few more turns? Does the same thing on the way out. I'm guessing I should replace the drain plug (or go Fumato) but wondered if anybody else had that oddity. I bought the car with only 11,000 miles so it couldn't have been changed by some quick-lube guy with an air gun more than twice. Every time I've done it, I've tightened with a torque wrench so I know I didn't screw up any threads. Thoughts?
Old 10/15/12, 05:04 AM
Cobra Member

Fumato is great for oil drainage. Now if only there was a cleaner way to capture the oil from the initial oil filter removal. I've tried the "fold box into a funnal" method, the plastic bag spin off, but all still spill out oil.
Old 10/15/12, 08:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Fumato is great for oil drainage. Now if only there was a cleaner way to capture the oil from the initial oil filter removal. I've tried the "fold box into a funnal" method, the plastic bag spin off, but all still spill out oil.
I know you said you tried the bag method, but maybe there's something in my step by step process below that will help:
  1. Get a gallon size ziploc bag.
  2. Have your new filter ready (new oil poured into it, oil wiped around gasket to help seal, etc.) to install.
  3. Loosen the oil filter to the point that you can easily turn with one hand, but not so loose that it starts leaking oil yet.
  4. Use your left hand to hold the bag around the filter.
  5. With your right hand, begin turning the filter a little at a time so you don't twist the bag around too much
  6. When it's completely off, remove with your right hand and dump the remaining oil into the plastic bag. Put the filter upright and into the box from the new filter.
  7. Immediately take the new filter and install, as the mounting point will continue dripping even after you've removed the old filter.
  8. Take the old filter and oil to be recycled. Oil can be recycled at lots of places, but not too many take filters - O'Reilly Auto Parts recently began accepting them though, so go there if you can.
You should be able to minimize dripping/spillage - I've done mine this way four times now with good results. Hope something here helped.
Old 10/15/12, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

On my Harley, the oil filter is horizontal as well. I used to use cardboard folded to form a "V" and this allowed the oil to drain down the cardbord into an oil pan as I unscrewed the filter. I then bought a plastic piece that did the same thing (re-usable). I'm looking for this same type of oil tool I can use on the Mustang.

Like this:

http://www.formafunnel.com/buyNow.html

Last edited by Bucko; 10/15/12 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10/15/12, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

What's oil ?
Old 10/15/12, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde

I know you said you tried the bag method, but maybe there's something in my step by step process below that will help:

[*]Get a gallon size ziploc bag.[*]Have your new filter ready (new oil poured into it, oil wiped around gasket to help seal, etc.) to install.[*]Loosen the oil filter to the point that you can easily turn with one hand, but not so loose that it starts leaking oil yet.[*]Use your left hand to hold the bag around the filter.[*]With your right hand, begin turning the filter a little at a time so you don't twist the bag around too much[*]When it's completely off, remove with your right hand and dump the remaining oil into the plastic bag. Put the filter upright and into the box from the new filter.[*]Immediately take the new filter and install, as the mounting point will continue dripping even after you've removed the old filter.[*]Take the old filter and oil to be recycled. Oil can be recycled at lots of places, but not too many take filters - O'Reilly Auto Parts recently began accepting them though, so go there if you can.

You should be able to minimize dripping/spillage - I've done mine this way four times now with good results. Hope something here helped.
Hahahahahaha

Step 1: take car to dealer for "the works"
Step 2: done
Old 11/21/12, 07:19 AM
V6 Member

Amsoil 10k mile, change every 5k.
Old 11/21/12, 12:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Hahahahahaha

Step 1: take car to dealer for "the works"
Step 2: done
Old 11/21/12, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I use peanut oil.
Old 11/23/12, 06:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
I use peanut oil.
Does your car attract squirrels and elephants by chance? Fat guys?
Old 11/24/12, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
Does your car attract squirrels and elephants by chance? Fat guys?
I haven't noticed.

Quick Reply: Oil, oil changes, and oil filter discussion