Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil, oil changes, and oil filter discussion

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/12, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bolecailey
Why do you think Ford specs 5w50 in the Boss, GT500 and GT40 and not the standard GT? I suspect it's because they are more likely to see harder use such as time on the race track and not because of radically different bearing clearances.
It's a combination of different engines and the fact that those models will more than likely see more track time than a standard GT.
Old 1/13/12, 06:12 PM
V6 Member

This is just my opinion but I am basically saying that there is no benefit to running Motorcraft 5w50 over any other 5w50 API SM spec synthetic from a reputable manufacturer such as Castrol or Mobile one outside of the possibility of warranty problems.
Most wouldn't argue whether you can run various types of 5w50 synth.

The issue is more whether it's wise to run oils with a viscosity outside what's recommended.
Old 1/13/12, 06:58 PM
GT Member

Especially one as thick as 20W-50. That thing pours like honey where a 5W-50 is close to water. It will take much longer to circulate after a cold start.

Years ago I actually had an engine scorch a rocker arm because the 20W-50 took so long to get up to the valve train. It's a very thick oil.
Old 1/13/12, 08:05 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Run what you want oil guru's... you obviously know more than the engineers that designed the car do. As for me. My car runs just fine on the recommended oil. I have no plans of switching.
Old 1/13/12, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Couldn't agree more.
Old 1/14/12, 01:01 AM
Bullitt Member

It has been said by a few people at Ford and some race teams (Grand-Am, World Challenge...the same motor as ours)....

USE 5W-50!!!! All these people use the factory fill..........
Old 1/14/12, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adam81
It has been said by a few people at Ford and some race teams (Grand-Am, World Challenge...the same motor as ours)....

USE 5W-50!!!! All these people use the factory fill..........
True statement. However, they use Mobil 1 5w50 instead of Motorcraft.
Old 1/14/12, 10:17 AM
GT Member

I believe its beeen posted in another forum, the 5 weight is there for the cold start. The oil pressure tensioners react differently to the thicker oil and if I remember right caused some problems for another Boss owner.
Old 1/14/12, 10:25 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by BLAZN BOSS
I believe its beeen posted in another forum, the 5 weight is there for the cold start. The oil pressure tensioners react differently to the thicker oil and if I remember right caused some problems for another Boss owner.
Wait?! You mean Ford might actually know what they are doing when they select the oil weight?!? No way! The oil guru's say otherwise.
Old 1/14/12, 10:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Wait?! You mean Ford might actually know what they are doing when they select the oil weight?!? No way! The oil guru's say otherwise.
LOL......i feel what your saying, Just the cost of publishing oil info, molding the oil fill cap costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. They just dont do this for their health or some covert way to make a buck.
Old 1/14/12, 11:03 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by BLAZN BOSS
LOL......i feel what your saying, Just the cost of publishing oil info, molding the oil fill cap costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. They just dont do this for their health or some covert way to make a buck.
My truck has 250 thousand miles on it and I always use the recommended oil. I'm on the factory engine with 0 oil/bearing issues. And I drive the **** out of that truck. Redline multiple times a day. I'm not switching oil.
Old 1/14/12, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who makes motorcraft oil?
Old 1/14/12, 11:13 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Zaksgt
Who makes motorcraft oil?
Good point!!! when I worked at the dealer ship in the 80's ford's carbon based oil was penzoil. not sure about the synthetic
Old 1/14/12, 11:39 AM
GT Member

Just got back to reading this thread and it has brought out some excellent discussion and information on oil. I've learned some new things, and refreshed my recall on some old things.
A bit of an aside, some years ago I switched out of single weight oil ( think it was 40 or 50) to multi grade synthetic oil (I think it was 15W - 50) in my air cooled Lycoming aircraft engine. As a result, I experienced better cooling and higher oil pressure in summer weather. But one time I had to replace a cylinder, and thereafter oil consumption was noticeably higher. The conclusion I drew,rightly or wrongly, was that the piston and rings in this jug never broke in as well with the synthetic oil.
That is why I thought hard about going to 'non-synthetic' oil (like 20 or 30 weight) after an intiial 1500 mile break-in period in my Boss, so I could get better seating of the rings and pistons, etc. Then at 5000 miles I would again go back to Ford's synthetic 15-50 oil.
I didn't do this and I've got 3000 miles on the car now, with one oil change under my belt at 2000 miles. (I always like to do the first oil change early in any new vehicle). This is to get rid of any metal particles cut during break-in, which particles seemed to be minimal for this first oil change in the Boss. Is that because the synthetic oil is not breaking in the engine fully, or because the engine is extreemly well built to start with? I don't know, and I just realizing that I need to monitor my engine oil consumption more closely. (BTW, the Boss used 3/4 of a quart of oil in the first 1000 miles and I did not top up again before the 2000 mile change.)
O.K., That's going to all my ramblings on this oil topic today,.....
Cheers,
Old 1/15/12, 05:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
You are correct, the was even a photo of one of the race teams garages that had cases of 5w50 mobil 1, I just can't find it now.

Motorcraft oils are made by Conoco Phillips/Kendall. The discontinued Kendall Trop-Arctic 5w50 has been said to be the exact same thing as motorcraft 5w50 just rebranded as it met both A and B specs, however I can't find anything that confirms itbis identical to the motorcraft. The Ford GT specs WSS-M2C931-A, from what everyone can tell, the B spec is just more cat friendly. I am telling you guys, there is nothing special about this oil. Is it good oil? Yes. I think your car will see a long and healthy life with motorcraft oil. I promise you though that there is nothing that makes it any better for or motors than say mobile 1 5w50. Outside of warranty concerns, there is no reason not run a similar quality 5w50. Stick with any of the mainstream 5w50 oil that meet API SM specs though. What a lot of you don't realize though is that a lot of 50wt oils are closer to a 40wt and a lot of 40wt oils are closer to either a heavey 30wt or a light 50wt so viscosity on the bottle isn't always entirely transparent which is why I stress sticking to API specs unless you know a lot about a specific oil.

I am sure there are typos, please forgive me as I just got off a 12 grave yard shift and am typing on an iPad.
Old 1/15/12, 05:33 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
My truck has 250 thousand miles on it and I always use the recommended oil. I'm on the factory engine with 0 oil/bearing issues. And I drive the **** out of that truck. Redline multiple times a day. I'm not switching oil.
My dads F350 has 270,000 miles and has done a lot of hauling. It hasn't run the factory fill since new and it has zero bearing/oil issues.

My point is, proper maintenance has more to do with your truck and my dads truck going 250k plus miles than what oil brand was used.
Old 1/15/12, 06:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
Actually......you're wrong. The people I talked to run the factory fill. You may have talked to someone else....
Old 1/15/12, 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

You are correct, the was even a photo of one of the race teams garages that had cases of 5w50 mobil 1, I just can't find it now.
Actually he is wrong...... Just becuase you saw a picture of 1 race team doesn't mean everyone uses it. Read my above post.....
Old 1/15/12, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I say run the weight oil that the car manufacture states to run but use what ever oil manufacturer's you want. Mobil 1, motorcraft, royal purple,amsoil ... And or god sake you don't need to change your oil every 3k miles. Shaun knows what he is talking about. If you don't believe him send your oil in or testing. Woot!
Old 1/15/12, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adam81
Actually......you're wrong. The people I talked to run the factory fill. You may have talked to someone else....
What race teams did you speak to exactly? I'm not saying every single 302R team uses Mobil 1 but I would wager that most do. Click the link and scroll down to picture #11. Shows the Roush team setting up their new engine. Cases of Mobil 1 are next to them.

http://www.stangtv.com/event-coverag...ca-race-recap/

Quick Reply: Oil, oil changes, and oil filter discussion