Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/11, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
Not arguing that there are issues with trannies out there although I have not talked to anyone locally in any of the car clubs that have issues.

I wonder at some comments....trying to beat oncoming traffic in a left turn....trying to merge onto the interstate in Cali.......trying to avoid being rear ended or broadsided in an intersection......passing in short zones.......

I guess one needs 412 HP to handle the traffic out there..... I have spent a lot of time in Cal. in the past and I guess those older, slower cars never can get on the road.....I take no more chances in turning at an intersection with this car than I do with my '93 Ranger.....I have seen very few, if any that can react fast enough once it is realized that a car is going to broadside you in an intersection. As fast as this car moves in any gear, seems like passing should not be a problem if proper gear selection is done. If the vehicle you are passing is so slow you are in 2nd, just how far does it take one to get past and pulled in.....do you need to hit 85mph or even WOT..... And, cars of all types stall at lights all the time without being rear ended.

There is a time and place to play with the horsepower these cars have....and I am not saying only the track because I do play..... Just saying...it looks like some are at a constant WOT situation. If my car ever develops a problem in the tranny, I will find it on an open road with no heavy traffic or on a track, not under a "oh crap" situation. I find all this a good excuse to tell the better half I must run thru the gears hard to ensure there is no problem.

FYI, my '11 GT/CS, 6 sp man, built June 25th, 9865 miles since bought new on Nov. 29th., TSB on fluid done at about 6000 miles, skip shift disconnected under at 1000 miles. Usually hit 1/2/3/4 pretty hard about 1 mile from the house.........just for fun.

What I am saying is it seems some should be blaming poor driving judgement for the close calls they are having, not the issues the faulty transmission is having.
While I agree that some of these situations are probably lacking in some over-all driving judgements, it doesn't take away from the fact that the transmissions won't go in to gear.

I've experienced it several times and it's frustrating to say the least. By and large my transmission is okay. It's definitely livable until a resolution is found.

I've never been in danger because of this issue, but I shouldn't ever have to find myself coasting on the highway in traffic waiting for a transmission to make up it's mind on if it wants to go in to gear or not.
Old 8/9/11, 12:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya know, I am not arguing that there are issues....did you read that?

What I am saying is that one does not need 412 HP to get on an interstate with and if one feels that is needed, one might look at the "danger" they are placing themselves into no matter what car one is driving. I realize if the car fails and you are in a "spot" where it is dangerous, that is a problem. Again, what I am referring to is the tight spots that ones puts them selves into seems foolish no matter what car one is driving.

AGAIN....I do realize there is an issue with the tranny.......and hope it gets resolved for everyone's benefit.
Old 8/9/11, 01:09 PM
V6 Member

You are spot on in your assessment in my opinion. I have never said that there were not issues and have said more than once that I hope folks get their cars fixed. I still do. I got tired of being belittled because I would make the statement that mine shifted great. I probably said it 4 or 5 times in different threads. I still think that the problem is blown out of proportion and hopefully the investigation will reveal the true scope of the issue. Anybody can make a statement on how bad to any degree that the situation is but only Ford and probably the investigators will know. When they finish their investigation we might know then. Anything else is pure speculation...

With that said, I know of nobody that has these issues personally...I'm only talking twenty owners or so.

I also think that their are different factors involved. I stand by the skip shift comment. I'm sure that their are drivers out there that do not have a clue about it. What happens when you try to force it into another gear besides fourth when skip shift is activated? Now you have a damaged transmission on your hands that did work fine. If you think I'm talking about everybody, I'm not. I'm just saying that it could be an issue.

Originally Posted by AzPete
Not arguing that there are issues with trannies out there although I have not talked to anyone locally in any of the car clubs that have issues.

I wonder at some comments....trying to beat oncoming traffic in a left turn....trying to merge onto the interstate in Cali.......trying to avoid being rear ended or broadsided in an intersection......passing in short zones.......

I guess one needs 412 HP to handle the traffic out there..... I have spent a lot of time in Cal. in the past and I guess those older, slower cars never can get on the road.....I take no more chances in turning at an intersection with this car than I do with my '93 Ranger.....I have seen very few, if any that can react fast enough once it is realized that a car is going to broadside you in an intersection. As fast as this car moves in any gear, seems like passing should not be a problem if proper gear selection is done. If the vehicle you are passing is so slow you are in 2nd, just how far does it take one to get past and pulled in.....do you need to hit 85mph or even WOT..... And, cars of all types stall at lights all the time without being rear ended.

There is a time and place to play with the horsepower these cars have....and I am not saying only the track because I do play..... Just saying...it looks like some are at a constant WOT situation. If my car ever develops a problem in the tranny, I will find it on an open road with no heavy traffic or on a track, not under a "oh crap" situation. I find all this a good excuse to tell the better half I must run thru the gears hard to ensure there is no problem.

FYI, my '11 GT/CS, 6 sp man, built June 25th, 9865 miles since bought new on Nov. 29th., TSB on fluid done at about 6000 miles, skip shift disconnected under at 1000 miles. Usually hit 1/2/3/4 pretty hard about 1 mile from the house.........just for fun.

What I am saying is it seems some should be blaming poor driving judgement for the close calls they are having, not the issues the faulty transmission is having.
Old 8/9/11, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
I stand by the skip shift comment. I'm sure that their are drivers out there that do not have a clue about it. What happens when you try to force it into another gear besides fourth when skip shift is activated? Now you have a damaged transmission on your hands that did work fine. If you think I'm talking about everybody, I'm not. I'm just saying that it could be an issue.
Skip shift has nothing to do with this issue. There are just as many V6 owners complaining about being locked out of gears as V8 and THE V6 DOESN'T HAVE SKIP SHIFT. Same with Land Rover Defender and Ford Transit owners who report they can't shift into gear.. no skip shift there either. Besides, when the solenoid energizes, the only thing taking stress from pressure on the shift lever is the linkage outside of the transmission... not the tranny internals. That was explained months ago by a Ford Technician at AFM.

Last edited by jmatero; 8/9/11 at 01:16 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

Let me say this one more time for the select few that can't understand what I said....

I believe that there are multiple issues at work here. I did not say that skip shift was responsible for all the complaints. Now, if it is activated and you were unaware of its activation you might be lead to think that you were locked out of gear. At this point you might try to force it. The result could possibly be transmission damage. Now, all of the sudden you have transmission issues and the person that might have forced the shift caused the damage.

Again, so that you can understand, I DID NOT SAY THAT SS CAUSED ALL ISSUES. Do you understand that?

So now, all of the sudden you agree with what the Ford techs tell you? I've spent reading nothing bit bad comments over at AFM about them. Why believe them now John?

Originally Posted by jmatero
Skip shift has nothing to do with this issue. There are just as many V6 owners complaining about being locked out of gears as V8 and THE V6 DOESN'T HAVE SKIP SHIFT. Same with Land Rover Defender and Ford Transit owners who report they can't shift into gear.. no skip shift there either. Besides, when the solenoid energizes, the only thing taking stress from pressure on the shift lever is the linkage outside of the transmission... not the tranny internals. That was explained months ago by a Ford Technician at AFM.
Old 8/9/11, 01:49 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
This is a good a time as any to ask an ignorant question but I will like to know since I have never driven a car with the skip shift. How does the skip shift work? Thanks.
Old 8/9/11, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
This is a good a time as any to ask an ignorant question but I will like to know since I have never driven a car with the skip shift. How does the skip shift work? Thanks.
Depending on speed, throttle input and rpm, a solenoid in the transmission will lock you out of 2nd and 3rd gear and gate the shift lever in to 4th. It's a pretty fluid motion, it feels like you'd be going in to second, but you end up in 4th.

The driver information center also alerts you to the 1-4 shift.
Old 8/9/11, 02:02 PM

I have to agree with AzPete on this. After reading through some of the complaints filed, its obvious alot of these complaints "My transmission almost got me in an accident" are actually, "i was doing something risky (such as beating incoming traffic on a turn) and being locked out almost got me in an accident".
Old 8/9/11, 02:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty fluid as long as you're not trying to jam the shifter into 2nd hard. So far I've been surprised by it a couple times, didn't even realize I was in 4th until I let the clutch out and the engine note was way deeper than expected.

Easily defeated by staying in the throttle longer, or adding more throttle.
Old 8/9/11, 02:09 PM

Wrong button pressed there.

Now im not denying that there are issues, and a mojority of the near misses can be atributted to the trans locking you out, such as merging into traffic or passing, and i really hope this investigation brings about a fix. Its just some of these complaints are a little bogus in the sense that its the trans. being at fault, especially the " being rear-ended at a red light" because even if you had a fully functioning trans. there was nothing you could do but pull into traffic and get broadsided.

Overall i hope this issue gets fixed because i am a little scared to purchase a newer model and i want to see it resolved, im just saying that some of these comlaints about near misses can be atributed to the driver doing something he shouldn't KNOWING his transmission was faulty
Old 8/9/11, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Vorian
Wrong button pressed there.

Now im not denying that there are issues, and a mojority of the near misses can be atributted to the trans locking you out, such as merging into traffic or passing, and i really hope this investigation brings about a fix. Its just some of these complaints are a little bogus in the sense that its the trans. being at fault, especially the " being rear-ended at a red light" because even if you had a fully functioning trans. there was nothing you could do but pull into traffic and get broadsided.

Overall i hope this issue gets fixed because i am a little scared to purchase a newer model and i want to see it resolved, im just saying that some of these comlaints about near misses can be atributed to the driver doing something he shouldn't KNOWING his transmission was faulty
That's not entirely true. A good driver will assess the entire situation and make any necessary action to prevent an accident that may harm him, or another driver. Just because you're at a red light doesn't automtically mean that pulling out will get your broadsided. Again a good driver would assess the situation, look for oncoming traffic and make that decision to pull out.

I myself have been in several situations where I had to move from a position I was in to avoid being rear-ended. Once at a stop-light as was stated and once while waiting to turn left across traffic. Both instances happened in my previous corvette. At the stop light I was in neutral, while trying to cross traffic I was already in gear.

Had I not had the ability to shift into first at the stop light and move forward, I would have been rear-ended. Fortunately It was late at night and there was no cross-bound traffic.

But again it just goes back to whether the transmission works or not. Not being able to get in to gear when you need to to avoid a situation is a safety concern.
Old 8/9/11, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

I will agree that some of the complaints are dicey. That said, i always watch my rear view when cars come up behind me. i have on two occasion sin my driving life saw a car coming up behind me too fast and gunned it into the right turn lane to avoid getting hit. I see what some of these people are trying to say, it just reads poorly in many of the reports because they are angry/communicate poorly.

the underlying issue, through all the OMG I COULD HAVE DIED reports is the simple link in my eyes is that 95% of these complaints all boil down to the car refuses to go into gear at random intervals for no apparent reason. i still suspect the clutch pedal issue as i have said before. it's hard to notice that the pedal doesn't return all the way when you are used to moving your foot through a certain amount of travel. i didn't really wrap my brain around what it was doing until i felt the pedal slap against the bottom my foot once after the car ended up in 6th

i am just glad that my car is drivable, i trust it fully unless i need to get my hoon on or pass someone.

FTR- I contacted the PR folks at ford i have worked with and offered them access to my car and asked that they kick it up the hill. i can easily replicate the issue even though the tech at the local dealer said he could not.

Last edited by ShaneM; 8/9/11 at 02:55 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Food for thought:

2011 and 2012 model year:
Dodge Challenger
Chevy Camaro
Cadillac CTS-V
Chevy Corvette

All have skip shift... and not a SINGLE CONSUMER COMPLAINT to the NHTSA stating they were blocked out of a gear... or their cars unsafe because of a shifting issue.

And now rule out Skip-Shift and User Error for a moment... and add THESE cars to the collection:

2011 and 2012 model year:
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Nissan 370Z
Infiniti G37
BMW 5 Series
BMW 3 Series
BMW 1 Series
BMW Z4

Again, not a SINGLE CONSUMER COMPLAINT to the NHTSA stating they were blocked out of a gear... or their cars unsafe because of a shifting issue.

Why is it that out of ALL of those manual transmission performance cars, only 2011 and 2012 Ford Mustang owners are reporting these issues? What is so different about the Mustang?

If some of the submissions sounded goofy to you, then certainly there should be others just like it reported by owners of similar cars, no?

If even SOME of these issues were related to the skip-shift feature... wouldn't Camaro, CTS, Challenger, and Corvette owners have complained to the Feds?

It should be noted that the Dodge, Chevys, and Cadillac all use the same Tremec transmission.

Again, just food for thought. We can speculate all we want but the reality is, things like skip-shift and user error just don't make sense here at all. If they did, every other performance car would have similar complaints. Is it possible that only 2011 and 2012 Mustang drivers are inept when it comes to driving stick AND understanding Skip-Shift? Highly unlikely.

Just food for thought.

Last edited by jmatero; 8/9/11 at 03:21 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 03:26 PM
V6 Member

Maybe just maybe they did not have you beating them over the head to file a complaint in every other post that you made!

DUH!
Old 8/9/11, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe just maybe they did not have you beating them over the head to file a complaint in every other post that you made!

DUH!
Nice try.

There were 23 reports to the NHTSA before my car even went into service for the first time.

What about THOSE?

And for what it's worth, nobody was hit over the head. I posted that if anyone believed their inability to engage gears compromised their safety, they could alert the NHTSA. Not, exactly, "hitting people over the head"

So, how about addressing my previous post. Why only Mustang owners?

VW went through this a few years back. Their cars with the DSG Transmission were getting a false "overheating" alert which would throw the transmission into neutral and folks lost forward momentum. The NHTSA investigated that case as a "STALL ISSUE" and they ended up recalling all of them.

They were alerted to reports from consumers and a Good Morning America employee who went through it herself:

It happened to Lisa Toler of California, just as she was merging onto the highway.
“You’re in motion, but all of a sudden you don’t have any acceleration,” she described. “The gas wouldn’t work. ”She says fast-moving traffic streamed around her as she struggled to get over to the side of the road. Dennis Capolongo and his son, Justin, had an eerily similar experience, just as they were merging onto a freeway in Maryland. “There was no forward motion at all with the car. The engine was just racing and the transmission was just completely slipping,” Capolongo explained. Capolongo said they very nearly had a collision before they managed to maneuver over to the shoulder of the freeway. His 2009 Jetta had 623 miles on it at the time. Toler’s Jetta was even newer, with just 81 miles. She had had it for just two days. Other VW drivers have posted videos of their close calls on YouTube.

“This is a classic safety hazard,” said Clarence Ditlow of the nonprofit Center for Auto Safety. “It’s a brand new vehicle. Consumers are being stranded on freeways. It’s only a matter of time before we have consumers being killed.”

Last edited by jmatero; 8/9/11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 03:33 PM
V6 Member

I believe that to be a fabrication on your part. Did you actually read the Fox news report?

You just don't get it do you? Again, I did not say all issues were related to the SS. But, I do believe some are!

It's just like you pointing to other manufactures that use the same transmission. I find only a handful of complaints online and you really don't even know if the transmission internals are the same as the Mustang.
Old 8/9/11, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe that to be a fabrication on your part. Did you actually read the Fox news report?

You just don't get it do you? Again, I did not say all issues were related to the SS. But, I do believe some are!

It's just like you pointing to other manufactures that use the same transmission. I find only a handful of complaints online and you really don't even know if the transmission internals are the same as the Mustang.
What do you believe to be a fabrication?

And, again, please answer the question: Why is it that out of ALL of those manual transmission performance cars, only 2011 and 2012 Ford Mustang owners are reporting these issues? What is so different about the Mustang and its owners?

Last edited by jmatero; 8/9/11 at 03:37 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

The complaints....and their dates...

among other things....

Geez...I wish that you would wait for a response before you start editing! I'm going to tell you for the last time. I did not say that SS was responsible for the trans issue. Maybe they implement their system better than Ford does. I do know that my wife complained about hers and when I drove it with her...guess what? She could not go into 2nd when the SS light was on. She had not a clue. Now, did you read what Fox news wrote or do I need to quote it for you?

Last edited by beerbarrel; 8/9/11 at 03:42 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

The complaints....and their dates...

among other things....
Wrong. It's not a fabrication. There were 13 reports to the NHTSA on this by the new year... before my transmission was ever replaced. FACT

So now you're 0-1.

Care to enlighten us on the "among other things"?

And I'll ask you AGAIN: Why is it that out of ALL of those manual transmission performance cars, only 2011 and 2012 Ford Mustang owners are reporting these issues? What is so different about the Mustang and its owners?

Last edited by jmatero; 8/9/11 at 04:13 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

I don't believe that so you might want to fess up some proof. Every time you were questioned over at AFM you NEVER provided proof. I'll tell you once more that no I don't think that all the issues are caused by SS but I think some are. And no, I don't know why Ford could have a SS complaint and nobody else does but you might want to look at the other manufacturers forums because complaints abound there.

Originally Posted by jmatero
Wrong. It's not a fabrication. There were 23 reports to the NHTSA on this by the new year... before my transmission was ever replaced. FACT

So now you're 0-1.

Care to enlighten us on the "among other things"?

And I'll ask you AGAIN: Why is it that out of ALL of those manual transmission performance cars, only 2011 and 2012 Ford Mustang owners are reporting these issues? What is so different about the Mustang and its owners?

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems